Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist runs into pedestrian in NYC Central Park - now she's brain dead

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist runs into pedestrian in NYC Central Park - now she's brain dead

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-14, 09:50 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Fissile
No he looks like a self-important, entitled, narcissistic, hipster, doosh. The scarf is a really nice touch.....in 75 degree weather.
Heck, don't try so hard to be politically correct, fess up what is really on your mind about this fellow, knowing all that you do about him and after viewing a snapshot.
Old 09-20-14, 10:53 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Who is this "they" that you speak of
The justice system in general. If you want to get picky about what needs to happen and in what order and who gets to demand what, fine, but that wasn't my point.

If the DA wants these GPS details, he'll ask for them, possibly politely at first. Maybe the police asked for such things at the scene? If a warrant or subpoena is required, they'll get it -- certainly, a court won't reject such a request if the purpose is to get data that is directly related to a crime they're investigating -- and how fast the cyclist was going will certainly be relevant here in deciding if this is to be treated as a crime or just an ordinary collision.

If the data was intentionally destroyed to keep the prosecutor from getting it, that's called things like tampering with evidence or obstruction of justice and yes, it's generally illegal.

Now, if it's prosecuted would probably depend on the situation and how easily it could be shown that the evidence was destroyed -- if the guy can claim that the evidence never existed in the first place, that might be hard to disprove. But certainly, destroying evidence that you know the police want in connection with a crime is generally illegal, even if the evidence would incriminate you. (That said, you don't have to volunteer that the evidence exists ... you do have the right to remain silent, but that doesn't give you the right to destroy evidence.)

In any event, I'm no lawyer, but if you find yourself in a situation like that of the cyclist here (I imagine it'll never happen, but just hypothetically ...), I'd suggest consulting a lawyer before destroying any evidence you may have about the collision, especially if the police have good reason to believe that it exists and you have it. (And in this case, the cyclist's extensive Strava use strongly suggests that it exists or at least existed.)

Last edited by dougmc; 09-20-14 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-20-14, 11:34 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by dougmc
If the DA wants these GPS details, he'll ask for them, possibly politely at first. Maybe the police asked for such things at the scene?...what needs to happen and in what order and who gets to demand what, fine, but that wasn't my point.
But those items happen to be My point. That and the wacky legal theory that individuals are forbidden to modify their own recordings and other electronic data because "they" might want to go on a fishing trip through the data to see what "they" can find. Note that the legal beagles of BF previously did not restrict the definition of "they" to only representatives of the DA with search warrants in hand, and "they" could include anybody from nosy news reporters to lawyers foraging for data to use in a civil suit.

FYI you might take a look at High court: Police need warrant to search cell phones - CNN.com
Old 09-21-14, 01:09 AM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But those items happen to be My point. That and the wacky legal theory that individuals are forbidden to modify their own recordings and other electronic data because "they" might want to go on a fishing trip through the data to see what "they" can find.
If the DA is looking for this cyclist's GPS tracks that covered the collision ... that's far from a "fishing trip". If the data exists, it will be extremely relevant to determining if the cyclist was riding recklessly -- his speed would be a key component to that determination.

Note that the legal beagles of BF previously did not restrict the definition of "they" to only representatives of the DA with search warrants in hand, and "they" could include anybody from nosy news reporters to lawyers foraging for data to use in a civil suit.
I don't recall anything about reporters demanding the data here, but maybe I missed it.

As for a civil suit, if one happens, I would expect any competent attorney to request all such information, and I see no reason for the judge to deny such a request, as it would be directly relevant to the case. There is a penalty for failing to comply with a subpoena too, but I was specifically referring to the potential criminal case.

I saw it when it came out, but why do you think it's relevant now? If "they" (my "they", the police/DA/criminal courts) need a warrant, they'll get a warrant. Certainly, I would not expect a judge to refuse to give a warrant for his recent GPS data under these circumstances.

I imagine that had the police thought to do so (we looked him up on Strava, they may not have thought to do that), and had they been treating their investigation seriously ... they would have taken his GPS (or phone, if it's what he uses) as evidence -- they don't need a warrant to do that. If they need a warrant to read it, they'll get one. (Unless they're incompetent, which is certainly possible. And they might not need a warrant to read it -- he could have consented.)
Old 09-21-14, 06:05 AM
Coal Buster

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
But those items happen to be My point. That and the wacky legal theory that individuals are forbidden to modify their own recordings and other electronic data because "they" might want to go on a fishing trip through the data to see what "they" can find. Note that the legal beagles of BF previously did not restrict the definition of "they" to only representatives of the DA with search warrants in hand, and "they" could include anybody from nosy news reporters to lawyers foraging for data to use in a civil suit.

FYI you might take a look at High court: Police need warrant to search cell phones - CNN.com
Actually, no one has said that but you keep repeating it over and over.
Old 09-21-14, 06:34 AM
Fissile

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Time stamp of scarf pic is unknown. It is not likely from day of incident.
That picture was taken the day after the accident while he was exiting his lawyer's office.
Old 09-21-14, 07:09 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No he looks like a self-important, entitled, narcissistic, hipster, doosh. The scarf is a really nice touch.....in 75 degree weather.
Stereotype much? Twit.

The day after the incident was quite a bit cooler, and being that he's a professional saxophonist, if you knew anything about wtf you're talking about, you'd realize they tend to protect their throats from the weather.
Old 09-21-14, 07:19 AM
Fissile

Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs
Stereotype much? Twit.

The day after the incident was quite a bit cooler, and being that he's a professional saxophonist, if you knew anything about wtf you're talking about, you'd realize they tend to protect their throats from the weather.
Cooler? Yeah, it went down to a bone chilling 72. He needs to protect his throat from the chill? Really? Is he a horn player or an opera diva?
Old 09-21-14, 07:22 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cooler? Yeah, it went down to a bone chilling 72. He needs to protect his throat from the chill? Really? Is he a horn player or an opera diva?
The high on the 19th was 66, the low was in the 50s.

Now who's full of hot air...twit.

Old 09-21-14, 07:56 AM
Fissile

Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs
The high on the 19th was 66, the low was in the 50s.

Now who's full of hot air...twit.

Yeah, I got in my car on the 19th and the exterior tempt gauge said 72, but I'm way down South in Hudson Co, which is practically next to Miami. I think it's you who needs to STFU.
Old 09-21-14, 08:47 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

As for a civil suit, if one happens, I would expect any competent attorney to request all such information, and I see no reason for the judge to deny such a request, as it would be directly relevant to the case. There is a penalty for failing to comply with a subpoena too, but I was specifically referring to the potential criminal case.

I saw it when it came out, but why do you think it's relevant now? If "they" (my "they", the police/DA/criminal courts) need a warrant, they'll get a warrant. Certainly, I would not expect a judge to refuse to give a warrant for his recent GPS data under these circumstances.

I imagine that had the police thought to do so (we looked him up on Strava, they may not have thought to do that), and had they been treating their investigation seriously ... they would have taken his GPS (or phone, if it's what he uses) as evidence -- they don't need a warrant to do that. If they need a warrant to read it, they'll get one. (Unless they're incompetent, which is certainly possible. And they might not need a warrant to read it -- he could have consented.)
There is no requirement or obligation for an individual to preserve electronic data just in case subpoenas may be requested and issued at some future date, especially when no one has been accused of a crime or indicated that a crime has occurred.

Why exactly do the police need the cyclist's GPS information to establish the cyclist's location at the time of the accident? Is that somehow in doubt? What legal basis do the police/DA have to snoop in his phone for information for his previous track record in Central Park? Is it the same BF legal beagle principle used to snoop in every motorists' personal cell phone records to find out if they ever were speeding at any time in the past or present. IOW just hot air legal jive talk.

BTW how admissible (or accurate) is Strava data on a cell phone as legal evidence of a specific speed at any specific point in time?

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 09-21-14 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-21-14, 08:48 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
In before the lock down.
Old 09-21-14, 09:14 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Coal Buster
Actually, no one has said that [deleting data from an individual's personal electronic device in the absence of a court order or subpoena is a crime] but you keep repeating it over and over.
Really? What then are these other posters posting?
Given how avid of a Strava user he is, he was probably recording his ride at the time of the crash, so unless he deleted that data, the police probably have exact data on how fast he was going. And if he did delete it, doing so is probably a crime if they can prove it.
You don't have a grasp of what the 5th amendment really means. Yup, destroying evidence is a crime.
Obstruction of justice.
Originally Posted by Essex
As per evidence - I am sure the biker has been contacted and advised by the lawyers. Correspondence (previous/present) , metrics and other info. related to the crash aren't to be tampered with. Right now - its got to be pure hell for the family and the cyclist.
There's a reason large law and accounting firms have shredders going constantly. They're destroying documents that could be subject to subpoena at a later date in an ancillary investigation ...and that's totally legal. Do it during an investigation and it's a crime. Do it to conceal a crime that's not been discovered yet and that's also a crime...also applies to electronic documents.
Originally Posted by Essex
Points to a trend. Spoliation of evidence.
As for an individual, most don't do this, and certainly you aren't expected to keep things forever, but if you almost killed somebody yesterday and knew it, and then in a few days they ask for your GPS traces (or video evidence or whatever), and you say "sorry, I deleted it ... you can't expect me to keep this stuff forever!" and yet Strava is full of all your other rides ... that's probably a crime, and they'd have a good case to prosecute you for it.

Most states have laws against this, and this looks like the relevant law for New York -- and stuff on a computer is almost certainly "physical evidence".
There's also federal laws against this sort of thing.
Old 09-21-14, 09:21 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5778 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
In before the lock down.
+1, now that the thread has moved to stereotyping and a two person argument about what is or isn't evidence o evidence tampering, it belongs in P&R. Move or shutdown coming soon.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-21-14, 09:29 AM
Coal Buster

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Never mind, I'm a half-hour away from leaving for vacation. May I-like-to-bike have the last word.
Old 09-21-14, 09:37 AM
Grey.

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never mind, I'm a half-hour away from leaving for vacation. May I-like-to-bike have the last word.
Old 09-21-14, 09:54 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 246 Posts
+1 This cyclist is a total TWIT and I gather so are hundreds of others in CP.
So this guy is making a sport of zooming thru the park like it is " Death Race 3000" ??? WTF ... Go play your sax at Sing Sing.
Old 09-21-14, 10:07 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
It seems that whenever a cyclist starts to attain higher speeds, that still do not emulate ones that many motorists do regularly on residential streets and would be considered slow by their POV, the words like "speeding", and "reckless", seem to pop up in certain conversations.

Last edited by dynodonn; 09-21-14 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-21-14, 10:09 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by FBinNY
+1, now that the thread has moved to stereotyping and a two person argument about what is or isn't evidence o evidence tampering, it belongs in P&R. Move or shutdown coming soon.
What exactly did the thread move from? An OP of a news snippet that was loaded with misinformation and man on the street ranting about cyclists followed by numerous posts of ignorant/misinformed/rumor mongering, victim blaming, and finger pointing nonsense??

IOW, you aren't interested any more now that it has drifted into other areas, so shut it down, eh?
Old 09-21-14, 10:13 AM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
+1 This cyclist is a total TWIT and I gather so are hundreds of others in CP.
So this guy is making a sport of zooming thru the park like it is " Death Race 3000" ??? WTF ... Go play your sax at Sing Sing.
I was looking at the continuing news reports...there is a lot of innuendos on the part of the press. When you ride CP on Thursday the bike lane is the worst lane you can ride. That section is usually wide-open to cyclists, runners and the odd carriage/park vehicle. Unless you are granny-riding you don't use the bike lane.

When I ride this section I typically do anywhere between 20-25 mph safely. Usually, most peds. are cognizant enough to stay clear (not jaywalk) in this downhill and flat section as cyclists / carriages / vehicles can be clearly seen hundreds of feet away. There is however, a intersection near 59th St. which is a complete nightmare and total cluster.

As per withholding, or destroying evidence....not ever a good thing. And I same sure both parties are keeping quiet during this period. When it goes legal a lot of stuff will come out during discovery. Additionally, I have discovered that a common tactic used in court is "I don't remember." And in my particular legal proceedings (not involving bodily injury) it works.
Old 09-21-14, 10:21 AM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
*ding ding*

That's the kitchen timer; this thread is done.

Forum Guidelines *click here*