Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Autonomous cars and cyclist salmon.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Autonomous cars and cyclist salmon.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-14, 08:35 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I don't mind Clydesdale because that term is from BF members, accepted and I am one, but the term 'salmon' bugs me a lot.

We ain't salmon and shouldn't use the phrase so much.
Old 10-22-14, 08:39 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
I don't mind Clydesdale because that term is from BF members, accepted and I am one, but the term 'salmon' bugs me a lot.

We ain't salmon and shouldn't use the phrase so much.
so what term do you propose for cyclists going the wrong way in traffic?
Old 10-22-14, 09:50 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
How 'bout "cyclist"?
Old 10-23-14, 03:49 AM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wasn't the term meant as an unapologetic denigration of such cyclists? If you don't want to be label such, then don't do it?
Old 10-23-14, 08:29 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by keyven
Wasn't the term meant as an unapologetic denigration of such cyclists? If you don't want to be label such, then don't do it?
Unapologetic denigration of the "other"cyclists that don't match the profile of the Bicycling Correctness Grand Poobahs is the calling card of A&S self described "professionals" and "serious cyclists."
Old 10-23-14, 08:30 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
How 'bout "cyclist"?
How about wrong way cyclist. For a motor vehicle driver, this is a ticketable offense... why is it it not an offense for a "cyclist?"
Old 10-23-14, 08:37 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

How about wrong way cyclist. For a motor vehicle driver, this is a ticketable offense... why is it it not an offense for a "cyclist?"
Why is the use of offensive terms like "salmon" to unapologetically denigrate other cyclists considered acceptable "bicycling speak"?
Old 10-23-14, 08:41 AM
genec
genec

Why is the use of offensive terms like "salmon" to unapologetically denigrate other cyclists considered acceptable "bicycling speak"?
one word vice three words... salmon, vice wrong way cyclist... much easier to type salmon. should we just use "wwc?"
Old 10-23-14, 08:46 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
A little dose of reality that might wake up the day dreamers; but I doubt it:

"Perhaps one day tech enthusiasts will be able to visit a Museum of the Future That Never Was, where the Jetsons’ hover car and the Google super-robocar will sit side-by-side as showcase exhibits. Expect long lines for both, because the demos will be sensational."

Google self-driving car: It may never actually happen.
The article doesn't align with this one How Google’s self-driving cars detect and avoid obstacles
Old 10-23-14, 09:48 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For anyone, it's considered suicidal when they do it in the actual driving lane. I'm not too concerned with offending kamikazes.
Old 10-23-14, 07:25 PM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hardly think the word "salmon" is offensive. They're tenacious, hardy fish who also happens to be delicious.

I'm sure if drivers were to pick a word, it wouldn't be half as kindly.
Old 10-23-14, 08:02 PM
keyven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"wrong way cyclist" is not much better. If it is in fact agreed that they are going the WRONG way, then what's wrong with using a (barely) derogatory term . Better to have a few people's feelings slighted and dissuade them from doing it, than have them splattered over the windscreen of a vehicle.
Old 10-25-14, 02:06 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
At least in the case of a broken belt, you've still got the ability to go a few miles or more (often lots more in the daytime) with complete control to get to a safe place or a mechanic. Plenty of the other failures result in very dangerous conditions.
If you just lose your alternator, sure. If you lose your water pump (which you normally do when your car only has one belt) ... most cars will overheat (which tends to mean expensive damage if you let it get bad) within a mile.

That said, as long as you're not stuck in a traffic jam or on a huge bridge, that's usually enough to get off the road. Unless you don't realize the problem until the car is already overheating, which happens often ...

Last edited by dougmc; 10-25-14 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-25-14, 06:14 PM
genec
genec

"wrong way cyclist" is not much better. If it is in fact agreed that they are going the WRONG way, then what's wrong with using a (barely) derogatory term . Better to have a few people's feelings slighted and dissuade them from doing it, than have them splattered over the windscreen of a vehicle.
Cyclists using the road are supposed to go in the same direction of other traffic. I have not seen this spelled out directly in the bike specific laws, but the bike laws DO say that cyclists are responsible for following the other laws for road users.

So a cyclist riding on the road against the flow of traffic on the road is riding the wrong way. Of course exceptions may exist, such as contraflow bike lanes.
Old 10-26-14, 07:37 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Eh, lets just get rid of all the nice, soft, PC edges and call things the way they are. Ninja salmon should just be called darwin award candidates. Maybe if they get offended, they'll change their behaviour.

Old 10-26-14, 08:11 AM
keyven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Eh, lets just get rid of all the nice, soft, PC edges and call things the way they are. Ninja salmon should just be called darwin award candidates. Maybe if they get offended, they'll change their behaviour.
Calling anyone a 'salmon' is hardly un-PC in the sense that you're not insulting someone's rightful/lawful choices or unchangeable natural state. Like making a derogatory sexist or racist term or insulting someone's sexual orienta.

I would say "fighting for someone's right not to be called names when endangering themselves and others unlawfully" is a rather frivolous case at best. Let's just call a spade a spade.
Old 10-26-14, 08:33 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by himespau
Calling anyone a 'salmon' is hardly un-PC in the sense that you're not insulting someone's rightful/lawful choices or unchangeable natural state. Like making a derogatory sexist or racist term or insulting someone's sexual orienta.

I would say "fighting for someone's right not to be called names when endangering themselves and others unlawfully" is a rather frivolous case at best. Let's just call a spade a spade.
Sure, describing a smug SOB, who takes pride in offending allegedly unworthy people for their own good, as a smug SOB causes no harm as the smug SOB could care less.
Old 10-26-14, 09:13 AM
keyven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, describing a smug SOB, who takes pride in offending allegedly unworthy people for their own good, as a smug SOB causes no harm as the smug SOB could care less.
Words hurt, you know.
Old 10-27-14, 08:16 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dougmc
If you just lose your alternator, sure. If you lose your water pump (which you normally do when your car only has one belt) ... most cars will overheat (which tends to mean expensive damage if you let it get bad) within a mile.
When my tensioner died, I still managed to drive about two miles to a good place to work on it. You do need to have a little common sense about it, though.

That said, as long as you're not stuck in a traffic jam or on a huge bridge, that's usually enough to get off the road. Unless you don't realize the problem until the car is already overheating, which happens often ...
If it's the belt, you should have the idiot light coming on right away for the alternator, and there's usually a separate one for overheat, though very few cars seem to turn that one on until it's "pull over right now" time.
Old 11-03-14, 03:15 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

I could think of others but I'm not going to call them salmon either. If you know they are going the wrong way then you are paying attention, Gene.
Old 11-03-14, 03:17 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Let's stop complaining about the stuff we know is wrong over and over HERE and work on it THERE. It does little good to complain here, 99.ad infinitum percent of Earthlings don't view Bike Forums in any manner.
Old 11-03-14, 03:22 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I feel no need to candy coat terms used to describe people doing stupid things on the roads. Riding the wrong way against traffic is a choice people make, a choice that puts themselves and potentially others in danger.

If you're concerned about "offensive" terms to describe people who make choices that put themselves and others in danger, what do you propose we should call people who get behind the wheel after having too much to drink?
Old 11-03-14, 03:59 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

I think that the autonomous vehicle part of this thread has about split and it's going to be a kvetch express about poor habits of cyclists in the first place.

If you want another one of those threads, please start a new one or add to an existing one. I BELIEVE that this thread was supposed to be about the potential problems of having driverless vehicles in the transportation environment and how that related to non-motorist safety, bicyclists in particular but in general the more random actions of small vehicles like bikes and pedestrians.

There are aspects of this discussion that can spill over into Vehicular Cycling as well.

I-Like-To-Bike was SPOT-ON with their reply. If we are advocating cycling and safety calling others even the most lighthearted or trivial of names is pointless anyhow...we've assumed a 'tude, friends. It makes us no better than them.

That having being stated, I will add that the thread isn't doing much of what it was hoped to do and is running out of water in the bottle.
Old 11-03-14, 07:31 PM
keyven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I-Like-To-Bike was SPOT-ON with their reply. If we are advocating cycling and safety calling others even the most lighthearted or trivial of names is pointless anyhow...we've assumed a 'tude, friends. It makes us no better than them.
Calling someone who makes stupid choices names (in the hopes of discouraging said silly actions) vs willfully endangering oneself and others is the SAME THING?

I guess we are no better than ******* and murderers.
Old 11-09-14, 05:55 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think that the autonomous vehicle part of this thread has about split and it's going to be a kvetch express about poor habits of cyclists in the first place.

If you want another one of those threads, please start a new one or add to an existing one. I BELIEVE that this thread was supposed to be about the potential problems of having driverless vehicles in the transportation environment and how that related to non-motorist safety, bicyclists in particular but in general the more random actions of small vehicles like bikes and pedestrians.

There are aspects of this discussion that can spill over into Vehicular Cycling as well.

That having being stated, I will add that the thread isn't doing much of what it was hoped to do and is running out of water in the bottle.
Wrong on the bolded part.

There's a big difference between calling people names based on what they can't control (e.g. people of different races or handicaps) and calling people names based on stupid decisions they made.

Bottom line, if you don't care enough about your own safety to take basic precautions (riding the right way along the road, using lights at night etc) you really do lose any right to expect anyone else to care any more about your safety.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.