Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Farmers Branch, Texas LEO

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Farmers Branch, Texas LEO

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-14, 01:17 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wphamilton
What does that have to do with fighting the ticket? Seriously, rolling stop - it's petty and picking his pocket.
While it's true that most people do rolling stops when there's not traffic to yield to ... the law requires a complete stop.

So when you show up to contest the ticket, you can either go "Well, yes, I did run the stop sign, but only at a low rate of speed", so I should be acquitted -- and then the judge says "You broke the law. Guilty." Or you can lie about it and say you did come to a complete stop ...

Austin's Police Department policy manual suggests that tickets should be written if one goes through a stop sign "at a greater than walking speed" (page 221) -- but 1) 5 mph is faster than walking speed, and 2) this is just a guideline -- cops can be more picky than this if they want.

And if you're not going to effectively fight it, why even show up at court? Just pay the fine.

Does the area have a local bicycle defensive driving equivalent? Austin has one now. If you do show up, you could ask the judge for such a thing, or you could admit that you did technically break the law but given that you did it in a relatively safe manner, ask for deferred adjudication?
Old 12-11-14, 04:41 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by dougmc

And if you're not going to effectively fight it, why even show up at court? Just pay the fine.

Does the area have a local bicycle defensive driving equivalent? Austin has one now. If you do show up, you could ask the judge for such a thing, or you could admit that you did technically break the law but given that you did it in a relatively safe manner, ask for deferred adjudication?
That's the key question. The only reason is you might is hoping for the judge to reduce the fine, or an alternative to a fine as you suggest.

As I see it, don't go to court unless you're going to fight it and win. But you're assuming that there's no way to effectively fight it, and I don't agree with that. Deny that you failed to stop, and if the judge finds you guilty, appeal. A few other things.
Old 12-11-14, 05:02 PM
Coal Buster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's the key question. The only reason is you might is hoping for the judge to reduce the fine, or an alternative to a fine as you suggest.

As I see it, don't go to court unless you're going to fight it and win. But you're assuming that there's no way to effectively fight it, and I don't agree with that. Deny that you failed to stop, and if the judge finds you guilty, appeal. A few other things.
Appeal on what basis? You don't agree with the decision? You can only appeal on a point of law.
Old 12-11-14, 05:20 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Deny that you failed to stop, and if the judge finds you guilty, appeal.
But you told us that you didn't stop. Right? Or are you going to tell the judge something other than what you told us? (Well, the original poster said he didn't stop, not you.)

And as Coal Buster said, in Texas appeals are more about errors made in the legal process than anything else -- just because you got found guilty, that's not a reason for an appeal. The judge/jury/DA/your lawyer/etc. needs to have made an error that lead to that.

Also, an appeal is expensive. One can appeal a traffic ticket, but it costs so much more than the traffic ticket costs in the first place that almost nobody does it unless they're trying to set a precedent of some sort (which is a very dangerous business, as it often fails) or they just have more time and money than sense.

I know you're not the original poster, but if you do decide to fight a traffic court -- unless you really are trying to set a precedent or just prove a point (in which case you really should be advised by a lawyer and really should know what you're doing and getting into) you should treat the verdict as the end of things ... don't pin any hopes on an appeal. Save the appeals for more serious crimes, where the cost is easier to justify.

Last edited by dougmc; 12-11-14 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-11-14, 06:22 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by Coal Buster
Appeal on what basis? You don't agree with the decision? You can only appeal on a point of law.
You don't need a basis in a Texas lower court that is not a court of record.
Old 12-11-14, 06:25 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by dougmc
But you told us that you didn't stop. Right? Or are you going to tell the judge something other than what you told us? (Well, the original poster said he didn't stop, not you.)......
Ah, no this isn't about me. I haven't had a ticket in 15+ years.

And as Coal Buster said, in Texas appeals are more about errors made in the legal process than anything else -- just because you got found guilty, that's not a reason for an appeal. The judge/jury/DA/your lawyer/etc. needs to have made an error that lead to that.
This is not a true statement about Texas courts.
Old 12-11-14, 07:35 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
State Farm told me they would not increase my car insurance rates because of a biking ticket.
Old 12-11-14, 08:12 PM
Coal Buster

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some municipal courts in Texas are courts of record. If yours isn't, your appeal is actually a new trial. Your appeal is actually a gamble that the LEO can't attend the second trial.
Old 12-11-14, 08:21 PM
Grillparzer
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prathmann
I didn't see any claim that the officer knew he was going 5 mph - a citation for going through a stop sign just requires knowing that the speed was > 0. But radar works fine on bicycles and should have no problem with a bike going 5 mph. The radar speed signs we have around town all register my speed correctly (at least in agreement with my GPS).
We assume they work accurately, but I doubt if a traffic radar manufacture ever tested and had their units certified with bicycles in mind.
Old 12-11-14, 08:21 PM
Grillparzer
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikeLite
State Farm told me they would not increase my car insurance rates because of a biking ticket.
Good!
Old 12-11-14, 09:08 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Grillparzer
We assume they [radar speed units] work accurately, but I doubt if a traffic radar manufacture ever tested and had their units certified with bicycles in mind.
I would hope they do so considering that the local police departments here use some of those units to monitor bicycle speeds and issue citations.
Old 12-11-14, 11:16 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Juha
Maybe because he did run the stop sign.
And somehow the conversation keeps diverting to speeding.

Did the OP (BikeLite) even look for crosstraffic before rolling anyway?

Do you think the officer was watching and giving you a message there? I would say YES.

Whether or not the fine stands, or is even reduced, show enough signs of remorse and the effort made to improve to show the judge you took the infraction seriously. This not just a penalty, it's a lesson and meant to save you from a world of hurt.

Cops are not robots. Seeing people hurt or killed from avoidable actions isn't any fun for them.
Old 12-12-14, 11:38 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
And somehow the conversation keeps diverting to speeding.

Did the OP (BikeLite) even look for crosstraffic before rolling anyway?

Do you think the officer was watching and giving you a message there? I would say YES.

Whether or not the fine stands, or is even reduced, show enough signs of remorse and the effort made to improve to show the judge you took the infraction seriously. This not just a penalty, it's a lesson and meant to save you from a world of hurt.

Cops are not robots. Seeing people hurt or killed from avoidable actions isn't any fun for them.
Follow-up posted here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-s...l#post17363644
Old 12-13-14, 09:49 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by adablduya
i certainly wouldn't argue in court the context that "others (motorists) to it, so why am i being singled out " ?

however, i would argue , and have successfully done so myself, that you exercised prudent judgment my slowing down to 5 mph, were keenly aware of your surroundings
Someone "keenly aware" of their surroundings has to be pretty foolhardy to roll through a stop sign in front of a cop.

Don in Austin

Originally Posted by adablduya
and observations that there was no one else in sight except the cop that pulled you over, and made a practical decision to SAFELY proceed. not like you blew thru it at 25mph, for which no argument would fly on your best day.

best guess is the judge might take some mercy on a claim of prudent and practical behavior, because he / she surely won't buy into the sense of entitlement suggested by the 'they did it, why can't i ?" argument.
Old 12-14-14, 01:17 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Don in Austin
Someone "keenly aware" of their surroundings has to be pretty foolhardy to roll through a stop sign in front of a cop.

Don in Austin
^^^This!^^^