Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

5703 crankset - totally confused about needed spacers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-16, 09:06 AM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

I'm changing out components on a GT Grade gravel bike. I've got the FSA compact crankset off (surprised to see they still used a tapered square BB), the brifters, cabels, etc. Please keep in mind I've never changed out component groups like this before.

So now I'm ready to install the 5703 crankset. I got a 6800 BB along with it with my order since the 5700 BB was no longer available from Chain Reaction. So I start reading about installing triples and I figure something is wrong. Long story short is that I thought I didn't need any spacers because the Chain Reaction site stated the 5703 has a chainline of 43.5mm. The 6800 BB is designed for a chainline of 43.5mm, so I thought great, I don't need spacers. Wrong. I found the Shimano pdf and it clearly states that the 5700 crankset has a 43.5mm chainline and the 5703 has a 45mm. As I just found in the Sheldon Brown site, this is standard.

So now to confuse me even more, the Shimano pdf for the 5700/5703/5790 cranksets states a spacer and ring is needed for the left (non DS). WTF?! Nothing said about the drive side.

I have done as much research into this as I know how. According to Shimano, I need to end up with a 45mm chainline. I have the typical 31.8mm seat tube. Can anyone tell my what I need to get and where to get it? Why is there a ring and spacer needed for the non-drive side? What the heck is the difference between a ring and a spacer?

Thanks for any help and info.

Side note: Thanks to the help on my last post earlier in the year, I got a 24t inner ring installed with the proper SS washers to give the teeth the same spacing from the middle ring. I really appreciate the help I get here!
Old 08-06-16, 10:02 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
You need a ruler that measures millimeters.
Old 08-06-16, 10:08 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
Have you stopped and thought about how much difference 1-2mm is going to have?
If your chain is running perfectly straight on ONE cog, it won't on all the others.
Old 08-06-16, 12:37 PM
2lo8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just follow the Shimano instructions and ignore the part that was probably copied from the double by the retailer.
Old 08-06-16, 01:25 PM
JWK

Originally Posted by 2lo8
Just follow the Shimano instructions and ignore the part that was probably copied from the double by the retailer.
I posted that I read the Shimano instructions and that they don't make any sense to me. It states the 5703 needs a ring and spacer on the non-drive side. It says nothing about the drive side or how you get the 45mm chainline the same sheet says you need for the 5703. It also does not state what spacer or ring you need. Maybe they came with the 5700 BB, but those I cannot find.
Old 08-06-16, 01:50 PM
2lo8

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't need to make "sense" of the instructions. Just follow them. You don't use the BB to adjust chainline. That's to correct for bottom bracket shell width on MTBs. The cranks need their specified spacers to achieve their specified chainlines, so use them as specified. The tech docs say there is a 3mm spacer NDS and a 6.5mm spacer DS.
Old 08-06-16, 02:13 PM
jimc101

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by JWK
I posted that I read the Shimano instructions and that they don't make any sense to me
Look at the EV here SHIMANO Dealer's Manual / User's Manual no need to read anything, copy the EV and it will work.

All this talk of measuring chain-lines is (for external BB purposes) obsolete, the manufactures supply the parts which are effectively fit and it works out the box, much simpler then the square taper days when chain-line was more critical.
Old 08-06-16, 05:42 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have that crankset on my 68mm bottom bracket shelled frame. I didn't use any spacers.
Old 08-07-16, 05:14 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,406 Times in 2,745 Posts
I think the crank will give you the correct chainline. It's so easy to install the new BB and crank. Try it and see.
Old 08-07-16, 06:51 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I think the crank will give you the correct chainline. It's so easy to install the new BB and crank. Try it and see.
That is correct. The crank itself will give you the correct chainline as installed and no drive-side spacers are provided or required. The 5703 does use a spacer (provided with the crank) on the non-drive side. Follow the instruction sheet and it will work fine.
Old 08-07-16, 09:17 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
file:///home/chronos/u-71c0988f1649b1a49d367c58f9d512f2c860aba7/Downloads/EV-FC-5703-3004B.pdf

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-me...m-bracket.html
Old 08-07-16, 09:58 AM
JWK

Originally Posted by 2lo8
You don't need to make "sense" of the instructions. Just follow them. You don't use the BB to adjust chainline. That's to correct for bottom bracket shell width on MTBs. The cranks need their specified spacers to achieve their specified chainlines, so use them as specified. The tech docs say there is a 3mm spacer NDS and a 6.5mm spacer DS.
Originally Posted by jimc101
Look at the EV here SHIMANO Dealer's Manual / User's Manual no need to read anything, copy the EV and it will work.

All this talk of measuring chain-lines is (for external BB purposes) obsolete, the manufactures supply the parts which are effectively fit and it works out the box, much simpler then the square taper days when chain-line was more critical.
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Originally Posted by HillRider
That is correct. The crank itself will give you the correct chainline as installed and no drive-side spacers are provided or required. The 5703 does use a spacer (provided with the crank) on the non-drive side. Follow the instruction sheet and it will work fine.
OK, thanks for all that info. I took a better look at those docs and looked up the components again on the Shimano site and found that the ring and spacer is included in the crankset, not the BB. Sure enough, at the bottom of the box there was a little plastic bag with the non-drive side spacer and the crank arm fixing bolt. However, there is no ring that is supposed to go between the spacer and the BB. All the instructions include this ring as part of the assembly. As far as the drive side 6.5 spacer, it looks like it's on the drive side already. The diagram shows the BB and the crankset together with all parts listed as if it's one unit. I'm assuming the BB shown is the 5700. Maybe the rings (both sides on the docs show rings) came with the 5700 BB but they're not necessary with the 6800 BB that I have. Just guessing.

I'll put it together and see if everything seems to fit right and go from there. Thanks again for the help.
Old 08-07-16, 10:55 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by JWK
However, there is no ring that is supposed to go between the spacer and the BB. All the instructions include this ring as part of the assembly.
The instructions show the ring as a separate item but it's really part of the larger spacer and already snapped into the side that faces the frame. I had the same question when I installed my first 5703 crank but the ring is there.
Old 08-07-16, 06:06 PM
JWK

The instructions show the ring as a separate item but it's really part of the larger spacer and already snapped into the side that faces the frame. I had the same question when I installed my first 5703 crank but the ring is there.
OK! Now that I'm looking at it, I see exactly what you mean. With no experience at all, it seems a lot more complicated and confusing at first than it really is. Now it seems very simple and straight forward.

Thanks again, HillRider.
Old 01-25-18, 03:32 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks a lot. I had exactly the same dilema as the OP. Now it is perfectly clear to me.