Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Laced bike shoes or not?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Laced bike shoes or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-16, 05:54 PM
23109VC

Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil 30, 2008 Scott SUB 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Laced bike shoes or not?

I recently got my first "real" roadbike this past weekend. Prior to that I had been riding a hybrid bike that I had put cages onto. I put the cages onto my new bike - but I really want to get pedals / clip in shoes. A buddy gave me his old set of clip in pedals that he no longer uses - Shimano SPD system - they are an inexpensive pedal, PD-R540 - but they will be fine for me to at least try it. I have the cleats too.. I just need shoes.

I went to the local bike shop and looked at the shoes - they were either Velcro, Velcro with ratcheting clamp on the top, or BOA system shoes. none had laces. From my snowboarding experience - I know both of these systems tent do create pinching spots - as you only have 2-3 real spots whre the boot/shoe is grabbing you..whereas with laces - ti's more of a pain to lace them up - especially on a snowboard - but once ou get them on - they seemed more comfy.

so I found a handful of bike shoes that have laces. I read they are supposed to be more comfortable - and it would makes sense - as the lacing system spreads the load evenly out over your foot..much like regular shoes... maybe you can't get them as brutally tight if you are going to need them clamped onto yoru foot?

having never used clip in shoes - I'm curious what you all think about lace up bike shoes vs the clamping / BOA system ones?

prices are relatively similar regardless which system I get. just thought i'd see what you all think - since I am new to this there are likely advantages / disadvantages to these options that I am overlooking?

thanks.
Old 10-24-16, 07:53 PM
Gweedo1

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't tried the wire system but between laces and velcro with ratchets, I'll take the latter. Laces are a pita compared to the easily slipped into and out of, and easily adjusted velcro with ratchets. Laces take time, each time to untie, open up, slip in, readjust each lace hole that represents a friction/wear spot, tie them down and hope they don't come untied while riding. I can see the vintage appeal, if riding a vintage bike, but given choice, I find the velcro with ratchets better all around between those 2 systems, even if they only get you out on the bike little faster. YMMV.
Old 10-24-16, 07:59 PM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Purists will balk but I replaced my traditional laces with elastic laces with a plastic locking mechanism. I keep them snug enough to prevent excessive foot movement in the shoes but I can still slip the shoe on and off with a bit of effort. I was worried that the shoes would come off too easily but this hasn't been the case even with some pretty rough MTB and gravel grinding (BTW, I wear SPD MTB shoes even on my road bike as I like walkable shoes when I'm off the bike).
Old 10-24-16, 08:58 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Gweedo1
Laces take time, each time to untie, open up, slip in, readjust each lace hole that represents a friction/wear spot, tie them down
Why do you have to untie them before slipping in? Surely you don't tie your shoes after taking them off, right?

and hope they don't come untied while riding.
Always double-knot.
Old 10-24-16, 09:07 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I have an old pair of laced SPD shoes and adore them, but they are aging and need to be replaced. I despise Velcro, it's invariably the first thing to wear out on anything I own, but sadly 80% of the cycling shoe options seem to be Velcro .

I'm guessing laces tend to get caught in chainrings so many don't like them.
Old 10-24-16, 09:36 PM
23109VC

Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil 30, 2008 Scott SUB 20

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not that thrilled about Velcro.... I know how it wears out... BOA systems are pretty good.... I have noticed some of the higher end shoes are ALL BOA..no Velcro... but they are pricey.

I wondered if maybe lace up shoes would give the comfort / great fit like a boa system shoe but you could get them cheaper? although I did see some lace up shoes that are actually still pretty pricey... maybe the retro thing is coming back and they are just marketing it..but it's not really as good as BOA...
Old 10-24-16, 09:55 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I've got laces. Normal looking shoes were important to me. They are a MTB shoe, seems to be more common with them. They are plenty comfy, I occasionally wear them around even when not biking.
Old 10-25-16, 03:08 AM
Jeremy_S

Bikes: 15 Fuji Altamira 2.0

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gonna have to try them on for yourself and see what you prefer. Everyone is different. I prefer boa, then ratchet and velcro, and laces last. I like to be able to reach down when riding and tighten up or loosen up as needed and I like the easy on easy off too. Laces on my mtb shoes just because I don't ride off road as much or as far as on the road so it was less important to me.
Old 10-25-16, 04:58 AM
Gweedo1

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Why do you have to untie them before slipping in? Surely you don't tie your shoes after taking them off, right?

Always double-knot.
Speaking from my experience with laced clipped riding shoes, yes, it was best if I completely loosened and then retightened the laces for each ride firstly to slip my foot out easily after a ride and then to slip my foot in easily and get the right feel before the next ride. Using laced shoes as loafers misses the point of laces.

Having to use double knots is just another reason why for me velcro with ratchets are better because they're just easier. Ever struggle with a tangled double knot?

Like I said..."YMMV".

Last edited by Gweedo1; 10-25-16 at 05:02 AM.
Old 10-25-16, 05:24 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
My shoes have 2 lower velcro straps, then a buckle. I leave the velcro loose at my toes, and can make the buckle tight, so my foot is secure.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-25-16, 05:39 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I still wear my old leather Diadora lace ups. Never had a need to adjust them while riding, just don't lace them super tight. They stretch just enough when your feet swell. Velcro straps don't stretch.

Bontrager Classique are some nice ones.

Old 10-25-16, 05:51 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I can't count how many times I got my laces caught in my chainring. Good riddance to laces. I have had Velcro and buckles, and will take either of them over laces.
Old 10-25-16, 07:20 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
So, who's great idea was it to put laces on road cycling shoes?
Old 10-25-16, 07:30 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
BOA often doesn't work for people with high arches.

The highest point of the arch gets all the pressure from the BOA wires and there is no way to selectively loosen. It can be very uncomfortable.

-Tim-
Old 10-25-16, 07:46 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
My first two pairs of cycling shoes had laces, and I had no problems with laces at all. Laced shoes are the easiest to make comfortable. My current pair is full-carbon sole, and the options for laces + CF sole is next to nothing, so I'm now on double BOA. I must say, for a lazy person such as myself, it's tough to beat BOA. Easy on, easy off.
Old 10-25-16, 07:57 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I do a ton of hiking. My boots have laces. Guess what--my feet still hurt a lot on long hikes/backpacking, etc. The fact that I can "selectively" loosen/tighten my laces often seems to be of ephemeral--if not chimerical--benefit to me once my feet start hurting.

To ride, is to suffer. That's a fact.
Old 10-25-16, 08:10 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
I do a ton of hiking. My boots have laces. Guess what--my feet still hurt a lot on long hikes/backpacking, etc. The fact that I can "selectively" loosen/tighten my laces often seems to be of ephemeral--if not chimerical--benefit to me once my feet start hurting.

To ride, is to suffer. That's a fact.
Then you're wearing the wrong shoes.

Related, if your feet hurt at all after a bike ride, you're doing something really wrong.
Old 10-25-16, 08:13 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Then you're wearing the wrong shoes.

Related, if your feet hurt at all after a bike ride, you're doing something really wrong.
My feet don't hurt at all after rides (I wear Sidi shoes). But, you're missing the point. Laces, in and of themselves, do not serve to preclude the onset of foot pain, necessarily. BOA systems make more sense for cycling and can be very comfortable. I think we all know this, right?

To ride is to suffer. That's a fact. <--- tongue in cheek; but, undeniably, with a kernel of truth!

Last edited by Scarbo; 10-25-16 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-25-16, 08:20 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I HAVE to buy laced shoes. Cycling shoes for some stupid reason are way to narrow. Therefore I buy lace up shoes so that I can leave the laces loose at the bottom so they will open up around my wide foot and high instep.
Old 10-25-16, 08:24 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I HAVE to buy laced shoes. Cycling shoes for some stupid reason are way to narrow. Therefore I buy lace up shoes so that I can leave the laces loose at the bottom so they will open up around my wide foot and high instep.
I agree that many cycling shoes tend to be too narrow (especially the Italian brands). I suppose laces are a way to mitigate bad fit at its core. This is a problem in buying regular shoes as well; it is just cheaper to stock shoes in one width rather than to carry the panoply of sizes that would actually make prospective customers more comfortable overall.

Shoe width is important, of course. Having grown up in the country I always loved cowboy boots but would never wear them because I always thought they were uncomfortable (mostly, too narrow). Then I met this old cowboy who recommended that I buy them one of two sizes smaller in length and one or two sizes wider! I thought he was crazy; but, hey--it works!

Last edited by Scarbo; 10-25-16 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-25-16, 08:31 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I can't count how many times I got my laces caught in my chainring. Good riddance to laces.
My bike specific shoes have a little loop to shove the laces through, keeps them in place, never once had them come loose. When I ride with street shoes, I just tie them to the outsole, and if the tag ends are long (most of mine aren't), just tuck them into the side of the shoe.
Old 10-25-16, 08:32 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
I agree that many cycling shoes tend to be too narrow (especially the Italian brands). I suppose laces are a way to mitigate bad fit at its core. This is a problem in buying regular shoes as well; it is just cheaper to stock shoes in one width rather than to carry the panoply of sizes that would actually make prospective customers more comfortable overall.

Shoe width is important, of course. Having grown up in the country I always loved cowboy boots but would never wear them because I always thought they were uncomfortable (mostly, too narrow). Then I met this old cowboy who recommended that I buy them one of two sizes smaller in length and one or two sizes wider! I thought he was crazy; but, hey--it works!
What you say is absolutely true. Yes it is easier to stock just a few sizes and not worry about width even if they would be available.

Their attitude is kind of like old Henry Ford that said you can have any color car you want so long as it is black!!!!
Old 10-25-16, 08:39 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Definitely go for laces. It's the current emerging trend and it won't be stopping any time soon.

Pros: Look better, work better, look better
Cons: -
Old 10-25-16, 08:45 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Everybody knows whats good for everyone else.

/thread
Old 10-25-16, 08:45 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Definitely go for laces. It's the current emerging trend and it won't be stopping any time soon.

Pros: Look better, work better, look better
Cons: -

I like it. Current Emerging Trend. Maybe we should adopt this in its acronymic form and add it to our lexicon: CET!

So, BOA is not CET?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.