Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Is this "vintage" Trek 800 worth bothering with?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Is this "vintage" Trek 800 worth bothering with?

Old 04-25-18, 06:00 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Finally got if off. Wahoo! Put the chain on the big ring. Since that ring is not that big that is probably all I need for road cruising, but I did pick up a shimano 313 front deraileur at mcghies which should work, so I can install that later if I want to.

I looked at the true for the front wheel when I was at the guy's house and it looked reasonable. The back wheel though...whoa, what a mess. Never seen such a wobbly wheel.
Old 04-25-18, 08:37 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Does the derailleur move in and out at all? You may be able to loosen the bolt holding the cable, pull the cable so the guide is positioned above the large chain ring and tighten the cable.

Edit: Didn't see your latest comment at the time I posted this.

Last edited by katsup; 04-25-18 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-27-18, 07:55 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
It might be a moot point now that you have a replacement, but if the only apparent problem with the front derailleur is the missing limit screws, you can probably just replace them. Unless something really beat the snot out of the derailleur or it's badly corroded, there's not a whole lot else that could be mechanically wrong with it. Front derailleurs are simple devices.
Old 04-27-18, 08:23 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
Shimano Altus 22x32x42t 7/8-Speed 170mm Square Cranksets Cranksets Components Bikewagon.com

Actually here's the exact same crank, but with better toothing. Maybe I could find a double the same size though, and get those shimano shifters above as well.
If that has a freewheel in back, typically 14t small cog, then 42 is a little small for road riding. I'd like a 48 big ring. Of course changing crankset often means changing BB, and ideally changing front derailleur for such a big difference in big ring size.

​​​​​​
Old 04-27-18, 08:43 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Derailer was in pretty bad shape, and totally black with grease and dirt. For that reason alone I would not put it back on, but it seems like something is missing on it aside from just the screws.

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
If that has a freewheel in back, typically 14t small cog, then 42 is a little small for road riding. I'd like a 48 big ring. Of course changing crankset often means changing BB, and ideally changing front derailleur for such a big difference in big ring size.
​​​​​​
You may be right, I was really surprised its strongest gear was not really even that strong. It is an 11 rear cog though, so the back gearing is reasonable. I think there is another compatible crank on bikewagon.com with 48t that was only 25 bucks, so I might get that.
Old 04-27-18, 08:55 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
Derailer was in pretty bad shape, and totally black with grease and dirt. For that reason alone I would not put it back on, but it seems like something is missing on it aside from just the screws.

You may be right, I was really surprised its strongest gear was not really even that strong. It is an 11 rear cog though, so the back gearing is reasonable. I think there is another compatible crank on bikewagon.com with 48t that was only 25 bucks, so I might get that.
Oh good. 42x11 isn't too bad if you get used to spinning. You could run into problems going all the way to 48, though - front derailleur incompatibility, chainrings hitting the chainstay
Old 04-29-18, 05:21 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Oh boy. The guy showed me the front tire which was goodyear and put that in the ad. The back wheel is some other brand though, and much more worn. Turns out the whole back wheel is not original, looks like the aluminum weinman wheels they ship out from bikesdirect.com. Bummer deal because wanting the more durable frame and wheels was the big reason I was going for an older bike. That wheel had gotten about an inch out of true, which I didn't even think was possible. Surprisingly I was able to get it back pretty quickly, I just hope that wheel can stand up to my 300 lb weight! in the long run.

Still happy overall, though. Worst comes to worst there are 50 buck wheelmaster sets on bikewagon.com.

Last edited by Oneder; 04-29-18 at 05:25 PM.