Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

advantage of radial lacing for front wheel?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

advantage of radial lacing for front wheel?

Old 07-10-18, 02:04 AM
CinemaKiss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blamire
i think it uses less spokes but is not as strong so can only be used on front wheel. lots of road bikes have them so its probably all about weight.
The reason for radial spoking is that it gives the wheel less flex and more rigidity, which is why you typically only see it on front wheels. I prefer radial spoking for inner city riding as it helps signify quick and decisive movements. It has NOTHING to do with aesthetics and/or convenient cleaning.
Old 07-10-18, 02:04 AM
CinemaKiss

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by danimal4lovin
Is there any advantage of lacing a front wheel radial, instead of 2x or 3x? Is it just for looks? Thanks
The reason for radial spoking is that it gives the wheel less flex and more rigidity, which is why you typically only see it on front wheels. I prefer radial spoking for inner city riding as it helps signify quick and decisive movements. It has NOTHING to do with aesthetics and/or convenient cleaning.
Old 07-10-18, 04:36 AM
hardboiled718

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
creating a new account to reply to a thread so old the OPs aren't even around.

but since i'm here i'm a fan of black tea
Old 07-10-18, 06:35 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by hardboiled718
creating a new account to reply to a thread so old the OPs aren't even around.

but since i'm here i'm a fan of black tea
Not only that, but the same reply three times over.

Anyways, I prefer camomile tea.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-10-18, 11:09 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Old 07-10-18, 11:38 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by tejanotrackie

not only that, but the same incorrect reply three times over.

ftfy
Old 10-04-18, 11:57 AM
Issac
Bicyclist, ex racer

Bikes: 2 Equipes , Turbo. 91 Miyata Team 1000, 710, 610, 210, 110, canti mixte . Santana very early

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tbrtbx
I prefer the 'feel' of 2-cross front wheels. When I ride a radially laced front .. it feels really 'dead' .. i mean, the feeling in my hands feels exactly the same all the time. 2-cross feels more springy and lively. Feels less .. harsh, i guess. Anyone know what i'm talking about?
late answer but your a rare type that is very aware of feedback. Yes they handle different and steering and lateral loads can be detected. I can feel a radial wheel on the velodrome where we use some high loading and diving turns. I didn't like the radial wheels or heavier 3 and 5 spoke cArbon wheels because the flex points change. It's not a problem But your exactly correct. Even the same wheel built loose vs higher sooke tension
Old 10-04-18, 12:06 PM
Issac
Bicyclist, ex racer

Bikes: 2 Equipes , Turbo. 91 Miyata Team 1000, 710, 610, 210, 110, canti mixte . Santana very early

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Issac

late answer but your a rare type that is very aware of feedback. Yes they handle different and steering and lateral loads can be detected. I can feel a radial wheel on the velodrome where we use some high loading and diving turns. I didn't like the radial wheels or heavier 3 and 5 spoke cArbon wheels because the flex points change. It's not a problem But your exactly correct. Even the same wheel built loose vs higher sooke tension
and probably the most important factor I do not see here is that radial spoke partterns are really Only good in low spoke count 24h or less. Reason is radial spoke patterns have issues with low spoke tensions. No assisting spokes and the nipple tends to float easier. With 36 or 32 holes you had Better have one super strong ( heavy ) rim. For racing only special wheels use to be used for this reason. Now rims are just hugely heavy and overkill for racing and carbon and low spoke counts with few spokes has changed things. Radial is not bad and of course it's faster because look at the cross and eggbeater effect, but you rarely see a 36 hole radial racing wheel for good reason. Interestingly the lightest race wheels today are no lighter than what Eddie Merckx used for his record, just more aero.