Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

The ultimate quest for comfort: Open Wi.De. vs Niner MCR 9 RDC

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-19, 11:23 AM
sweetspot

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I am a huge fan of bikes that makes the ride as comfortable as possible and I believe that we are now approaching the limit of what is possible in terms of comfort of our gravel bikes. I mean we have a bike that can take 2,4 650 b tire (Open Wi.De.) and a full suspension gravel bike from Niner. Both are promising a magic carpet ride but both are doing it in a very different ways and I am very interested in finding which will be better...

A 61 mm tire run tubeless and with low pressure will act as a low travel suspension (like 40 mm found in Niner MCR 9 RDO) but it will also affect handling quite a bit (especially in corners, but also on asphalt). Niner will use much narrower tires with higher pressure to avoid this kind of problems so it looks like Niner could be better but then we go to the bikes geometry and we see that Open Wi.De. is much lighter and shorter so it will be much more nimble and fun to ride (and there is no real suspension that will affect your ride and pedaling power).

So it looks like a draw but then if you can dd to Open Wi.De. a Redshift sunspension stem, Canyon VCLS 2.0 seatpost and increase tire pressure a little bit you will resolve the low pressure handling problems and in the end possibly get the most comfortable yet fun to ride gravel bike ever.

What do you think?
Old 06-02-19, 11:33 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
My guess: Open Wi.de. will be faster up the hill, Niner MCR will be faster down the hill.

A well designed tunable 50mm suspension will give smoother ride than fatter tires, and will be faster over rough terrain - another guess.

Last edited by tyrion; 06-02-19 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-02-19, 12:58 PM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
I'm with tyrion, except I think the two will be quite close on the climbs.

My rigid Cutthroat is still pretty harsh with 2.3 (58mm) tires at 24 psi back, 21 front.

I added a suspension stem recently and it's a world of difference. Hence the Niner will IMO be the more comfortable choice.
Old 06-02-19, 06:12 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
No one can know how an MCR rides because no one outside of Niner has ridden it.

We we can find out which is better when the MCR is available. Until then it is just speculation, theory and markatecture.

Tim-
Old 03-15-20, 09:13 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I ride an Open U.P. with a Lauf fork and a redshift seatpost. It is incredible. You feel no suspension effects like bobs and dips, but you float over everything with incredible tire contact for control and wonder where all of that rough road has gone. It is all sucked up. The Wi.De wiuld have to be even better. My wife rides a WI.DE with no suspension and absolutely loves the comfortable ride while providing unsurpassed level of control that inspires very fast decending... I have to say I have not ridden the 9er, but what Open has done with their bikes is absolutely incredible. Vroomen & Kessler learned a lot from Cervelo & BMC before they started Open, I can tell you that. I have no idea who desins the 9er bikes, but I am sure they have a lot less experience than the guys at Open.

Last edited by dwmckee; 03-16-20 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-16-20, 05:34 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
A well designed tunable 50mm suspension will give smoother ride than fatter tires, and will be faster over rough terrain - another guess.
You may be right, but I found it interesting the GCN guys did the cobbles on a bike with a lauf fork, and a bike with fatter tires (+10mm?), and liked the ride on the bigger tires better. YMMV...