Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tektro brakes and FSA crank as good as Ultegra or Dura Ace

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-07-19, 10:30 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts

Often bikes were or are still matched with fsa cranks and tektro brakes to drastically cut costs. One bike would be specd with 105 then they would have tektro brakes and an fsa crankset. I found that an fsa crankset would be just as good function wise as an Ultegra or dura ace crankset and the tektro rim brakes to work just as well as Shimano rim brakes.

It’s only the weight penalty really that is the negative and everyone that isn’t a professional tour rider really need not to be worried about the weight of components on your bike FYI.
Old 07-07-19, 10:33 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
It’s only the weight penalty really that is the negative and everyone that isn’t a professional tour rider really need not to be worried about the weight of components on your bike FYI.
Thanks for telling me what I should or shouldn't be worried about. Now, what should I have for dinner?
Old 07-07-19, 10:50 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Often bikes were or are still matched with fsa cranks and tektro brakes to drastically cut costs. One bike would be specd with 105 then they would have tektro brakes and an fsa crankset. I found that an fsa crankset would be just as good function wise as an Ultegra or dura ace crankset and the tektro rim brakes to work just as well as Shimano rim brakes.

Thanks for telling me what I need to worry about. Not sure what I would have done otherwise...
Old 07-07-19, 11:36 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I've never had an FSA crank that shifted as well as Ultegra.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-07-19, 11:48 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts

Im fairly certain this is a minority position, but if that is your experience then more money in the bank to you. I happen to disagree, as outlined in the other thread that Im sure inspired this one ;-) Cant see myself buying a mix n match bike ever again.
Old 07-07-19, 11:51 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
No.

They are likely “good enough” but I do expect the front shifting and braking modulation to be not quite as good.

Sorry but that’s the way it is.
Old 07-07-19, 01:41 PM
LansingWes

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD13, Motobecane Vent Noir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
My first upgrade was from Tektro brakes to 105. 105 has noticably better stopping power. I've also noticed more stiffness in my 105 crankset vs the stock Tektro.

If they're not as good as 105 5700 group, then they probably aren't better than Shimani at the higher end.
Likes For LansingWes:
Old 07-07-19, 01:50 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I rode my current road bike with the stock Tektro brakes for ~5,000 miles before upgrading to 105 (5800). The 105 brakes do have better stopping power and modulation.

The Tektro brakes are probably going to go on another bang-around-town build. They're not horrible brakes, but I'm happier with something just a bit better for rolling at higher speeds.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 07-07-19, 02:03 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I'm betting your bike with the FSA crank was not set up properly. Maybe your FSA crank was worn out as well. If you think about it there is nothing advanced about say a $500 dura ace crankset with the exception of it possibly being more lightweight. As long as it is aligned and not deformed, and the teeth are not worn, an fsa crank will function and shift as good as a dura ace crankset.
Old 07-07-19, 02:11 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
For the large majority who ride bikes on mups, I agree this is true. However, some people enjoy having a high end bike and they buy accordingly. I know a guy who has a collection of team bikes with matching jerseys. That’s his thing.
Old 07-07-19, 02:25 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
I'm betting your bike with the FSA crank was not set up properly. Maybe your FSA crank was worn out as well. If you think about it there is nothing advanced about say a $500 dura ace crankset with the exception of it possibly being more lightweight. As long as it is aligned and not deformed, and the teeth are not worn, an fsa crank will function and shift as good as a dura ace crankset.
No one claimed a crank must be expensive to work well. A tiagra 4700 crank shifts perfectly fine and never drops the chain. FSA? ... YMMW.
Old 07-07-19, 02:27 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Comparing my old FSA Gossamer crankset to the Rotor 3D that replaced it is nearly impossible. Yes, they both kept the pedals attached to the bike. But the Gossamer arms had so much flex in them they might as well have been noodles.

Now is an FSA of similar pricepoint comparable to a higher-end Shimano-- like say a K-Force Light compared to Ultegra? Sure.
Old 07-07-19, 02:40 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Sorry but you are wrong. Take a close look at a good Shimano crank. The teeth are shaped in such a way to improve shifting. There are also little ramps on the chainrings, which also improve shifting. It’s not just the weight.

As I said above, the performance of your crank (and brakes) is adequate. I would not say it’s bad.. But to say they are the same is simply not true.
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-07-19, 03:30 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
I found that an fsa crankset would be just as good function wise as an Ultegra or dura ace crankset
Good to know! What series of Dura Ace crank did you have?
Old 07-07-19, 05:33 PM
road292

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
What amazes me is that Shimano, with all its market dominance, doesn't require at least the major manufacturers (Trek, Cannondale, etc.) to use an entire, consistent groupset (perhaps minus the cassette) if they are going to put any Shimano components on a bike.

Tektro brakes, for example, in my experience just aren't as good as the real Shimano ones, even at the 105 level. So someone perhaps less knowledgeable/interested than the typical reader here is going to get a bike the salesman says has "105" components and then think, "Gee, these Shimano 105 brakes suck. Not buying Shimano again..."

And even if the above isn't a major consideration, the few dollars saved by going with FSA or Tektro or the like is so clearly a pure money grab by the manufacturer that it pisses me off.
Likes For road292:
Old 07-07-19, 06:40 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by road292
What amazes me is that Shimano, with all its market dominance, doesn't require at least the major manufacturers (Trek, Cannondale, etc.) to use an entire, consistent groupset (perhaps minus the cassette) if they are going to put any Shimano components on a bike.

Tektro brakes, for example, in my experience just aren't as good as the real Shimano ones, even at the 105 level. So someone perhaps less knowledgeable/interested than the typical reader here is going to get a bike the salesman says has "105" components and then think, "Gee, these Shimano 105 brakes suck. Not buying Shimano again..."

And even if the above isn't a major consideration, the few dollars saved by going with FSA or Tektro or the like is so clearly a pure money grab by the manufacturer that it pisses me off.
It shouldn’t piss you off. You and I have no clue about bike companies business plans, profit margins or costs of doing business. They have substantial competition and costs in businesses are budgeted to the fraction of a penny. Of all of these, competitive pricing is the number one factor and is the reason lower end bikes don’t use full group sets. No doubt the competitors have some advantages over Shimano. It’s just business.
Old 07-07-19, 06:47 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Digression, but I agree with above. What may legitimately piss you off is a company saying the bike has “Ultegra Drivetrain” but not a full group. That’s misleading marketing, but the companies have to hit price points so they may skimp on brakes and cranks (and wheels/tires).
Old 07-07-19, 07:08 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I hope this doesn't go too far afield before OP shares his experience comparing the FSA and Dura Ace cranks. I'm always happy to save money! On the other hand, sometimes folks are just blowing hot air out their butts. That would be disappointing....
Old 07-07-19, 07:18 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Good to know! What series of Dura Ace crank did you have?
What shift advancement technology do you think dura ace has over say an Ultegra group or 105 group. My last full dura ace group was a 7800 crank. But I’ve tested the newest Ultegra and I’m 99% sure dura ace would be the same...and yes an fsa crankset will shift as good
Old 07-07-19, 07:31 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

What shift advancement technology do you think dura ace has over say an Ultegra group or 105 group. My last full dura ace group was a 7800 crank. But I’ve tested the newest Ultegra and I’m 99% sure dura ace would be the same...and yes an fsa crankset will shift as good
I'm not disagreeing with you, just asking which DA you compared to your FSA. Seems you used both a 7800 crank and the FSA and were satisfied you couldn't tell a difference. No reason to doubt your experience.
Old 07-07-19, 07:50 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
I have FSA Gossamer with 105 on one bike and Dura Ace 7800 on another. With all due respect, the FSA does, in fact, have a full set of tooth ramps and channels on the inner surface of the large chainring. There isn’t any noticeable difference I shifting between the two. As to any difference in rigidity, as I weigh 150 lbs. in the dead of winter, I’m not the man to ask.
Old 07-07-19, 09:06 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'm not disagreeing with you, just asking which DA you compared to your FSA. Seems you used both a 7800 crank and the FSA and were satisfied you couldn't tell a difference. No reason to doubt your experience.
I’m just saying newest Ultegra and newest dura ace would be the same shift quality wise it’s more about lightweight. Same with FSA. Any difference in shift quality is psychological
Old 07-07-19, 09:34 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts
A bike just feels more special when the entire groupset matches. Why? Because it's so hard to find a stock bike like that.

Mine was *full* 5800 through and through, with one glaring exception - Colnago branded (nice touch at least) single pivot Tektro calipers. They worked perfectly fine, and I had no complaints about them, but being so close to a true full 5800 bike, I ordered the dual pivot 5800 calipers. I'm glad I did. Not entire fair being we are talking single pivot vs. dual pivot, so I won't compare the performance of the two, but I'm just speaking to the point it's so nice to just have a full (insert series here) bike. Just feels a bit more cohesive and special. My opinion, of course.
Old 07-07-19, 09:41 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Same here.
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 07-08-19, 02:15 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Originally Posted by puma1552
A bike just feels more special when the entire groupset matches. Why? Because it's so hard to find a stock bike like that.

Mine was *full* 5800 through and through, with one glaring exception - Colnago branded (nice touch at least) single pivot Tektro calipers. They worked perfectly fine, and I had no complaints about them, but being so close to a true full 5800 bike, I ordered the dual pivot 5800 calipers. I'm glad I did. Not entire fair being we are talking single pivot vs. dual pivot, so I won't compare the performance of the two, but I'm just speaking to the point it's so nice to just have a full (insert series here) bike. Just feels a bit more cohesive and special. My opinion, of course.
True I would personally rather have a Shimano crankset that matches my shifters. I do have a Ultegra crankset on my current bike. If it came with a fsa crankset I would change it out to Ultegra just because, even though I know it will shift and function the same as an fsa crankset. Just the fact that it matches and possibly looks better on the bike gives me a psychological boost even though Gerraint Thomas would still beat the whole tdf field with a fsa gossamer crankset.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.