Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Let's Talk About Thibaut

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Let's Talk About Thibaut

Old 07-22-19, 07:36 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Let's Talk About Thibaut

A week ago on stage 10 Groupama-FDJ got caught napping and Thibaut Pinot lost 1:40 to Geraint Thomas, today he's 0:15 behind him. In the ITT he lost 35 secs. to Thomas but then we hit the Pyrenees and he won stage 14 and in stage 15 came second the clear winner in the GC battle.

Of the GC contenders he's clearly the rider in top form and in David Gaudu has a team mate who can take him to the last couple of kms. where he has the ability to launch blistering attacks.

Thibaut Pinot is my pick for the yellow jersey in Paris.

Buchmann (BOH) is looking like a strong contender for a podium place.

Pinot, Buchmann, Thomas is my pick for podium.
Old 07-22-19, 08:56 AM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Year after year, people always forget that the TDF is a 3 week race, a marathon of marathons.

Remember Simon Yates' epic implosion at the 2018 Giro? He lost 40 minutes in a single stage.

I'd still put my money on Geraint Thomas because I think he's burned fewer matches than Pinot or Alaphillipe heading into week 3. There will be an epic showdown in the Alps, where I predict Pinot will lose a handful of minutes, and Alaphillipe will lose 10+ minutes.
Old 07-22-19, 09:31 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
Yes, anything can happen and no one can foretell all the possible misfortunes; however, Caretaker's point still stands, as of now Pinot is the strongest. I don't know if he'll win, but he's definitely got to be a favorite as of now. If he didn't get caught out in the crosswinds on stage 10, one can only imagine...

It's not just Thomas that's not looking like he can win, but his whole team seems not to be having the same mojo as previous years. His only hope is, that he truly does have more "matches" remaining.

Next week will be very interesting....
Old 07-22-19, 10:04 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Even though conventional wisdom says JA will fold, he’s surprised everyone and proven all the naysayers wrong up until this point.

Pinot does indeed appear to be the strongest right now, but as we know that can change at any moment. I’m kicking myself for not picking him in the fantasy league, opting for Bardet instead.

Sure hope JA can continue to surprise...
Old 07-22-19, 01:46 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
The Guardian (Jeremy Whittle) predicts Bernal, Pinot, Thomas.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...geraint-thomas

Mainly to what it calls Bernal's 'consistency in the mountains' and that when Thomas fades, as it predicts, Ineos will switch their support.

We will see.
Old 07-22-19, 10:02 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I do not think Thomas will "fade". He may not be as fast, or as fit, but he may be getting fitter. He is too experienced to fade. To me he may not have what it takes to win, but that is just that some others have more of it.

As a fan - I'm not liking the switcharoo thing. Choose your rider and go with them. I can get behind a team the does not win.
One that does not know who is their leader it like so many messed up companies I deal with and not interesting. I understand the Froome thing was not planned, but they need to get their act together in a way the fans understand. The leader should be Thomas, as he is defending and more experienced. As it should have been Hinault when Lemond was better.

Last edited by Doge; 07-22-19 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-22-19, 11:25 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4265 Post(s)
Liked 2,937 Times in 1,811 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I do not think Thomas will "fade". He may not be as fast, or as fit, but he may be getting fitter. He is too experienced to fade. To me he may not have what it takes to win, but that is just that some others have more of it.

As a fan - I'm not liking the switcharoo thing. Choose your rider and go with them. I can get behind a team the does not win.
One that does not know who is their leader it like so many messed up companies I deal with and not interesting. I understand the Froome thing was not planned, but they need to get their act together in a way the fans understand.
To each their own. After so many years of Sky dominance, it was kind of interesting last year to see the internal drama play out. I started out rooting against Froome, and then ended up rooting for Thomas. And this year, Ineos at least looks vulnerable, which is refreshing. But I suspect that you are right - Thomas won last year because he had the goods, and there's every reason to expect that he's going to be strong in the Alps this coming week.

Originally Posted by Doge
The leader should be Thomas, as he is defending and more experienced. As it should have been Hinault when Lemond was better.
Now you're asking for a fight, there.