Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Crosswalks: dismount and walk? Or ride?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Crosswalks: dismount and walk? Or ride?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-19, 08:16 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
The OP needs to provide some information about what the heck he is talking about. Not enough information.
Old 08-28-19, 10:00 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by groverdill
When I was a kid (about a thousand years ago it seems) we were taught to get off our bikes and walk them when crossing a street at a marked crosswalk. Is this still a thing? I don’t even know if it was an actual state/national law, or just the neighborhood overprotective moms trying to keep us kiddos safe. I see current day examples of both, people riding in crosswalks and people dismounting and walking across and it has me wondering if there are laws dictating the proper way to handle a marked crosswalk. 🤔

You need to clarify your situation.
Old 08-28-19, 11:38 PM
groverdill

Bikes: Giant Iguana, Cannondale hybrid, Trek Beach Cruiser, Vintage Sears Cruiser(restored by me!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Well, I certainly opened up a can of worms with this one! That wasn’t my intention, although it led to some informative discussion. My original post was in regards to a recently developed bike/walking path that goes from one end of our small town to the other. It’s fully paved and crosses some bridges, parking lots, alleys, and (get ready: here it comes) busy streets. I’ve seen cyclists waiting to cross while still in the saddle, and I’ve seen them dismount and wait to walk their bikes across. There is no traffic light there, but there are signs that state “traffic must yield to pedestrians in crosswalk”. And by the way, I’m coming at this from a motor vehicle operator point of view. As I approach the crosswalk in my car, and a cyclist is still seated on the bike, I will stop for them. But I often wonder if they’re supposed to dismount and walk, or if it’s ok/legal to ride across a marked crosswalk.

Now that I’ve clarified my original post and reread it, most likely it varies state by state. Maybe. I think.

Mike
Old 08-29-19, 05:01 AM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
You can't get a reasonable answer, basically because every State in your country seems to have different laws (ridiculous in a country with 52 tiny States).
Where I live, I can ride wherever I like (roads, footpaths, crossings, shared paths, on-road bikelanes) with the exception of Motorways.
Old 08-29-19, 06:38 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
California's economy is 5th largest in the world. That make it larger than the UK. In more ways that one you might want to rethink the term "tiny"states. Also, for the record, there are 50 states, but the laws are more alike than they are dissimilar.
Old 08-29-19, 06:51 AM
sumgy

Originally Posted by KraneXL
California's economy is 5th largest in the world. That make it larger than the UK. In more ways that one you might want to rethink the term "tiny"states. Also, for the record, there are 50 states, but the laws are more alike than they are dissimilar.
Economic size might be relevant IF we are talking about economics.
But we aren't.
Likes For sumgy:
Old 08-29-19, 07:10 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Well, I certainly opened up a can of worms with this one! That wasn’t my intention, although it led to some informative discussion. My original post was in regards to a recently developed bike/walking path that goes from one end of our small town to the other. It’s fully paved and crosses some bridges, parking lots, alleys, and (get ready: here it comes) busy streets. I’ve seen cyclists waiting to cross while still in the saddle, and I’ve seen them dismount and wait to walk their bikes across. There is no traffic light there, but there are signs that state “traffic must yield to pedestrians in crosswalk”. And by the way, I’m coming at this from a motor vehicle operator point of view. As I approach the crosswalk in my car, and a cyclist is still seated on the bike, I will stop for them. But I often wonder if they’re supposed to dismount and walk, or if it’s ok/legal to ride across a marked crosswalk.

Now that I’ve clarified my original post and reread it, most likely it varies state by state. Maybe. I think.

Mike
I have never dismounted in that situation and there may be some local ordinances to clarify it. Various States are in relatively consistent about pedestrians and crosswalks, with some minor variations.

The big difference here is that the crosswalk is alongside a path, not a street, so there is no difference between riding in the crosswalk or beside it in the lane, as you would on a street. No motor vehicles can turn into it or out of it, which is the real danger. I'd be surprised if anyone could legally insist that you dismount.
Old 08-29-19, 07:33 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
In the seventies(about 1976 or so) I took a cycling class at our local Community College. I was getting serious about cycling and my wife and I had recently given up driving for a few years. I was taught then that if you are on your bike you do not use cross walks or side walks. If you are walking your bike you are considered a pedestrian and can use crosswalks or side walks. It seems pretty simple really, but then humans are not simple so I guess anything goes! Now I don't see the same courtesy as often but then that is my perception. In Southern California where I live it is pretty densely populated so a lot of the time I just focus on my behavior , not others , unless it gets scary . Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 08-29-19, 08:36 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by sumgy
Economic size might be relevant IF we are talking about economics.
But we aren't.
So what exactly are we talking about? Population? Square km? If compared to the UK for example, the result would be no different. Texas is also large than most European countries. I hope you leaned something today and will use better adjectives from now on.

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
In the seventies(about 1976 or so) I took a cycling class at our local Community College. I was getting serious about cycling and my wife and I had recently given up driving for a few years. I was taught then that if you are on your bike you do not use cross walks or side walks. If you are walking your bike you are considered a pedestrian and can use crosswalks or side walks. It seems pretty simple really, but then humans are not simple so I guess anything goes!
Nope, you were taught correctly. Its just that some people here will do and say and make any irrational argument they can to make themselves appear right. Of course once you dismount, you become a pedestrian and are afford all those rights and privileges.
Now I don't see the same courtesy as often but then that is my perception. In Southern California where I live it is pretty densely populated so a lot of the time I just focus on my behavior , not others , unless it gets scary . Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
In a world full of irrational people that's just not the best position to take, especially when you know they're doing it wrong. If you see something, say something.

Last edited by KraneXL; 08-29-19 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-29-19, 09:15 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
But I often wonder if they’re supposed to dismount and walk, or if it’s ok/legal to ride across a marked crosswalk.

Mike
You are in Pennsylvania. It's legal to ride in a crosswalk (marked or unmarked), but you must yield to pedestrians.

However:

"Automobiles are not required to yield to bicycles being ridden across a crosswalk (at a trail crossing for example) as the bicycle is treated as a vehicle. A better choice is to dismount and walk your bike across."

-mr. bill
Old 08-29-19, 04:24 PM
sumgy

So what exactly are we talking about? Population? Square km? If compared to the UK for example, the result would be no different. Texas is also large than most European countries. I hope you leaned something today and will use better adjectives from now on.
You have 50 States (sorry, I must have included Greenland and whatever other country President Fanta-face thinks he can buy this week), 48 of which are within a land mass the size of Australia where I live (which has 7 States and 2 Territories).
According to previous posters each of those 50 States have different road rules that road users need to be aware of.

That was the basis for my comment, not your ramblings about how California has a great economy, or how great you think the USA is.

I hope that you learned something today, and will learn to ask questions to clarify when you don't understand a comment in future (rather than doing an incredibly poor job of puffing out your chest and attempting to belittle others.
Likes For sumgy:
Old 08-29-19, 04:28 PM
sumgy

If you see something, say something.
What do you mean?
Are you saying you should police others?
Old 08-29-19, 05:47 PM
KraneXL

You have 50 States (sorry, I must have included Greenland and whatever other country President Fanta-face thinks he can buy this week), 48 of which are within a land mass the size of Australia where I live (which has 7 States and 2 Territories).
According to previous posters each of those 50 States have different road rules that road users need to be aware of.

That was the basis for my comment, not your ramblings about how California has a great economy, or how great you think the USA is.

I hope that you learned something today, and will learn to ask questions to clarify when you don't understand a comment in future (rather than doing an incredibly poor job of puffing out your chest and attempting to belittle others.
I stated all facts. How that was interpreted by you is your limitation. And just so you know, I criticize the U.S. and its policies everyday.
What do you mean?
Are you saying you should police others?
What did they teach you at your school? I was tough its your civic duty to report crimes, and common decency compels me to speak up when I see a wrong. What would you do if you saw a parent abusing their child? Turn a blind eye and walk away and convince yourself its not your business? If something like that happens around you it is your business, and the law supports your reporting it. This is what I'm saying.
Old 08-29-19, 06:14 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If you see something, say something.
Policing other cyclists is something that doesn't even enter my mind. It's not my job to police other cyclists for petty little violations.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-29-19, 07:13 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts

This is an Ann Arbor intersection of Maple Rd. and Jackson Rd. I pass this frequently on one of my favourite routes.

Originally Posted by Machka
If you're riding on the road, where you belong, you don't have to worry about crosswalks.
No offense, but I find absolutes like this at best peculiar. Without any knowledge of local specifics regarding intersections and the approaches they baffle me. I much prefer the road, but sadly we have a few intersections where it would be foolish to attempt this. Fortunately, these six lane death traps are guarded by pedestrian controlled signals. Once beyond them, I gladly hit the road again.

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 08-29-19 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-29-19, 07:52 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Policing other cyclists is something that doesn't even enter my mind. It's not my job to police other cyclists for petty little violations.
And yet this website (and society) exists, and filled with people who are doing just that. What makes them different? Superior knowledge? Wisdom? Morality? You might want to rethink that philosophy.
Old 08-30-19, 12:17 AM
sumgy

Originally Posted by wolfchild
100% agree.
Bloke obviously has fantasies about being a cop.
Old 08-30-19, 12:57 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I have walk mode. It's when I'm perched on a bike but moving at walking speed, sometimes slower. Kinda like mobility scooters.

Remember I'm sat upright, with platform pedals, and other such practicalities.
Old 08-31-19, 09:50 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Usually ride across after being (sometimes) ridiculously (sp?) sure about approaching drivers both ways. Yesterday's close call was because I ​​​​​​​made sure it wasn't a back page headline.

As stated before, in another thread, you have to drive for them too... even if rolling on two wheels/walking....
Old 08-31-19, 12:43 PM
starchase

Bikes: 1992 Giant Farrago; 2011 KHS, TC-150

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg

This is an Ann Arbor intersection of Maple Rd. and Jackson Rd. I pass this frequently on one of my favourite routes.
snip
Man, I miss Ann Arbor . . . in the Spring, Summer and Fall.
John
Old 08-31-19, 01:14 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by starchase
Man, I miss Ann Arbor . . . in the Spring, Summer and Fall.
John
.. but not winter?
Old 08-31-19, 02:09 PM
starchase

Bikes: 1992 Giant Farrago; 2011 KHS, TC-150

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
.. but not winter?
as you may imagine!

Before we moved to Savannah we lived 3 miles from work at what used to be Edwards Brothers, a book manufacturer, close to State and Ellsworth, and I could bike to work, but not in Winter. One time I left work in a blizzard and waited too long for my bus to come that would take me right by my domicile, but it never showed. I was dressed for sitting in a fairly warm bus and running to my door, not for slogging 3 miles in a raging blizzard through a foot of snow, wind in my face! It was a life changing experience!
John
Old 08-31-19, 02:19 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I committed some serious violations today. I rode my bike through about 15 pedestrian crosswalks, Anybody wants to come and arrest me ??
Old 08-31-19, 02:54 PM
Padgett

Bikes: All City Gorilla Monsoon, 1985 Fat Chance Competition, 90s Kona Cinder Cone, 1973 Schwinn Le Tour

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 24 Posts
College Rules

The official rules on my college campus state you can not ride your bike on the crosswalk, you must dismount and walk. Also, riding bikes on the sidewalk is "only allowed when no pedestrians are on the sidewalk." However, this rule is ignored all the time and we all ride around like crazy. The only bike racks are adjacent to sidewalks with heavy traffic, so it creates quite a dilemma. Another dilemma occurs when some designated bike paths are only accessible by sidewalks. Quite a muddy situation.
Old 08-31-19, 08:11 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Padgett
The official rules on my college campus state you can not ride your bike on the crosswalk, you must dismount and walk. Also, riding bikes on the sidewalk is "only allowed when no pedestrians are on the sidewalk." However, this rule is ignored all the time and we all ride around like crazy. The only bike racks are adjacent to sidewalks with heavy traffic, so it creates quite a dilemma. Another dilemma occurs when some designated bike paths are only accessible by sidewalks. Quite a muddy situation.
Many college campuses have the no bike riding rule on heavily traveled paths. Others (smaller college) restrict riding anywhere on the campus -- except roadways of course. Larger college campuses with dormitories are more liberal for obvious reasons.

Still, USC just removed a chunk of their previous bike path through the center of campus for safety. That includes skate boards and scooters (although there are still vehicles on the path).

Anyway, the VA campus has a similar rule, and like in your case there is zero enforcement by police or security. When I see someone riding on the sidewalk I remind them to obey the signs. The moment I step on the sidewalk, I dismount.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.