Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Service interval for Dura Ace 9000 or 9100 series pedals?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-28-19, 01:48 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts

I’ve been using Dura Ace PD-9000 & PD-R9100 pedals on my 2 road bikes. I really like them. They are lightweight and they are easy to click into and out of which makes me feel more confident starting out at stoplights and from a dead start. Pretty much plug-n-play. Even the cleats are super reliable with recessed Allen bolts that stay put.

My issue sue is that I feel like they loosen up over time, allowing grease to leak out then developing either slight play or slight clicking sounds while climbing out of the saddle.

I rebuilt the 9000’s and was pleased at the precision of the bearings and satisfied that I had locked the cone down correctly with the locknut. Apparently it was not tight enough because here I am, 1,000 miles or so later and one of them has loosed up and had quite a bit of play so it will require adjustment and a possible re-build again.

Just curious if others who who are using the rebuildable Dura Ace pedals have run into any durability issues and perhaps could offer some tricks on how to keep them in proper adjustment for longer.

BTW - I weigh about #190 and I do quite a bit of standing climbing. With that said, I have never been what you would call a “masher” preferring to (usually) keep my spinning efffort light to moderate.
Old 09-30-19, 09:58 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
When adjusting the bearings make sure that there is a slight amount of preload that feels like a little drag.
Old 09-30-19, 10:04 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by davidad
When adjusting the bearings make sure that there is a slight amount of preload that feels like a little drag.
Good point. I may have to preload them right up to the point where there is some resistance to turning (but no grinding).

I think I might have just failed to sufficiently tighten down the locknut against the cone.
Old 10-02-19, 01:41 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
That does not seem right. I have a set of 105's on both my road bikes and never have done a thing to them in 4 years. I am guessing the one set has 20000 miles on them easy and work like the day I got them.
Old 10-02-19, 01:58 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by deacon mark
That does not seem right. I have a set of 105's on both my road bikes and never have done a thing to them in 4 years. I am guessing the one set has 20000 miles on them easy and work like the day I got them.
I think the Dura Ace version might be different enough that you could have your 105’s or your Ultegra’s and they will run a long, long time with no maintenance like that. I believe the axle cartridge may have cartridge bearings where on the Dura Ace it is just 2 rows of 3/32” bearings. As far as I know, once the Dura Ace bearings are re-packed correctly with good grease and adjusted to remove all play and the lock nut is locked down securely against the cone - I believe these could also be good to go for many thousands of miles. I may have made an error of not locking something down tight enough on my first try.
Old 10-02-19, 02:00 PM
masi61

Here is the schematic I have been working from: https://www.paul-lange.de/index.php/...-9000-3329.pdf

As you can see, there are 17 inner bearings and 9 outer bearings, both 3/32”. I managed to lose on on the floor like a dummy - I purchased a 200 count quantity of them from China in this size for $5.99.
Old 10-03-19, 12:07 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
The DA pedals are different.
I have the mountain version of your pedal. I relube every 5000 miles. With your pedal you remove the axle unit, clean out the housing, pack grease into the housing and install the axle unit forcing out the old lube.