Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

cheapest way to lose 1.6 lbs off the bike . . .

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-16, 06:05 PM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay so I finally weighed my rig today. I used a digital bathroom scale with 1/10lb resolution and repeated the test multiple times and the results were identical each time. I weighed my bike with everything that is on it all the time except bottles (the cages are mounted) and myself (which I realize fluctuates). The total weight of the rig as it sits and is ridden every day for everything from commuting to local club racing is 21.6lbs.

I ride a Nashbar 105 57cm alloy frame, carbon fork, FSA Omega crankset, 105 cassette/chain/FD/RD/levers, Kalloy alloy steapost/stem/44cm bars, Fizik 3mm tape, Vuelta 37mm alloy rims, Conti Grand Sport Race 25F/28R, Fizik Aliante saddle, plastic bottle cages x2, Tektro R325 brakes with Koolstop salmons and Avid Rim Wrangler extended pad carriers on the rear, Nashbar wireless double computer, Wellgo R40? pedals (Look Delta clones).

I would like to get the total weight under 20 lbs and closer to 18 if possible, and I would like to do so as cheaply as possible. So far, I figure I can save about 100 grams on the steapost for about $50, maybe 50 grams on the pedals for $35, and over 400 grams on the wheelset for under $300. This would get me to my mark for about $500, but I wonder about other options . . .

1. Can I change other things like stem and bars, or upgrade my drivetrain (which I really want to do anyway) and save more weight for less money while improving ride quality?

2. For this kind of investment, should I consider buying a much lighter carbon frame, or maybe even selling the whole bike complete and adding in $500 to upgrade to something like the Nashbar CR5, which is full carbon, RS11 wheels, Ritchey and Prologo kit, and more important, full Ultegra?

I currently weight about 190, and I have a sprinters build. I put a lot of raw power down and my current rig doesn't flex at all, except for the crankset, but the trim adjustment on the FD is enough to counter it. I'm not willing to sacrifice handling and stiffness for weight. Is it worth going lighter on the frame, or am I gonna end up with a sloppy mess made for someone 40lbs lighter than me? If not, what's my best bang for the buck? Frame/drivetrain components/peripheral components/wheels?
Old 07-29-16, 06:24 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
You would help us to help you if you procided the weight of yoir frame, fork and each of your components.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-29-16, 06:26 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Start with the wheelset. Next I'd ditch those Tektro brakes (if for no other reason than performance) and the FSA crankset in favor of 105 or Ultegra. Beyond that if you're still unhappy I dunno.
Old 07-29-16, 06:50 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
21.6 ready to ride is a fine weight to have. Why the weightloss want...and how much are you prepared or willing to spend?

$300 to get 1lb lighter wheels? I'm really skeptical. Remove your tires/tubes/rim-taps/cassette/skewers and then measure. $300 only gets you boat-anchor weight wheels. Which I would not bet money on actually being lighter than what you have now.
Old 07-29-16, 06:53 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Buy Nashbar carbon frame and swap everything over. Get Vuelta Corsa Lites on sale for $225 or so, 1570 grams.

You won't save much weight or gain much performance upgrading the drive train unless you go Dura-Ace or SRAM red.

21.6 lbs ready to ride is a good weight, really.

Seat post can save you 100 grams? Are you using steel? I bought some Chinese carbon for $35, 180 grams.

W40s weigh about 300 grams--40 grams less than the equivalent Shimano 540s. I guess for $100 you could get Ti/magnesium ... for $120, Time Xpresso 10s at 192 grams ...

for $500 you could get a frame and fork combo at 3.5 lbs.---maybe 2 lbs. less than what you run now.

Last edited by Maelochs; 07-29-16 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-29-16, 07:28 PM
CrankyNeck

Bikes: Trek 2300

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cheapest way to lose 1.6 pounds off your bike is to lighten the rider. Lose 2 pounds. Boom.
Old 07-29-16, 07:55 PM
alexdi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Assuming you don't mind shopping on AliExpress and EBay:

Carbon post: 100g, $20
Carbon seat: 150g, $20
Carbon bars: 100g, $30
Ti skewers: 50g, $10
Light pedals: 75g, $100
Lighter wheelset: 300g, $300
Race tires/tubes: 150g, $100
Carbon frame: 300g, $300-$600

Figure 450g per pound. Anyway, it's considerably easier to start with a light rig than to slim a fat one. I've done the first five things on this list to bring my flat-bar below 20 lbs. The big upgrades (drivetrain, frame, etc.) are considerably less expensive if bought as part of a complete bike.
Old 07-29-16, 08:08 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by ypsetihw
Okay so I finally weighed my rig today. I used a digital bathroom scale with 1/10lb resolution and repeated the test multiple times and the results were identical each time.....
I stopped reading at that point because I don't care about your bike's weight, or any other, including mine for that matter.

However, I thought I'd let you in on a little secret about digital scales. Most (non-scientific) digital scales have resolutions much finer than the actual reading capability of the measuring element. So, while the 0.1# resolution is very comforting, it doesn't imply actual accuracy anywhere near that.

This makes a problem because people reweigh stuff to check and the scale makers would get nasty letters. To avoid that they sneak in a logic chip, which retains the first result, and snaps anything close back to that. The reading will only change when the difference is greater than a preset trigger or after a set time interval.

I post this only to counter the myth that digital stuff is more accurate than analog. In most cases of comparable quality the opposite is true.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-29-16, 08:20 PM
ypsetihw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyNeck
Cheapest way to lose 1.6 pounds off your bike is to lighten the rider. Lose 2 pounds. Boom.
I'm down from 225 to 193 just this year . . . lets say that's made a significant improvement. I'm just having my first actual weight weenie moment, and I would like to say my bike is sub 20 ready to ride just because.
Old 07-29-16, 08:24 PM
ypsetihw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
21.6 ready to ride is a fine weight to have. Why the weightloss want...and how much are you prepared or willing to spend?

$300 to get 1lb lighter wheels? I'm really skeptical. Remove your tires/tubes/rim-taps/cassette/skewers and then measure. $300 only gets you boat-anchor weight wheels. Which I would not bet money on actually being lighter than what you have now.
Crank and BB are FSA and the rest including chain is 105. based on some other threads I've found, the total weight of the groupset is about 180grams less for 6800 vs 5800. I haven't ridden much 6800 ultegra, is it worth the cost?
Old 07-29-16, 08:27 PM
ypsetihw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'm looking for the best way to spend my money. like, would a carbon seatpost make more of a difference in feel than a carbon stem for example, given an equivalent 50g weight savings and cost in this example.
Old 07-29-16, 08:57 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Carbon seat post (IMO) is a great investment if enough is exposed to mute road shock. I have no idea if I could feel the difference between a carbon or alloy stem--I haven't put the carbon stem on my bike yet.

But if you are going to do that stuff, just do it for the fun of it. I ma not certain you would ever notice the difference except when you were on the scale.
Old 07-29-16, 09:03 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I think going to a carbon seatpost is worthwhile for performance (comfort) as well as weight. Carbon stem not lighter than alloy & no functional difference.

Tires/tubes can save quite a bit and give a performance boost as well.

Pedals are worth looking at.

After that, it's bits & pieces or $$.
Old 07-29-16, 09:07 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

I guess I'm looking for the best way to spend my money. like, would a carbon seatpost make more of a difference in feel than a carbon stem for example, given an equivalent 50g weight savings and cost in this example.
Many alloy stems are lighter than carbon stems as well as cheaper. FSA's OS-99 all alloy (not the carbon wrapped version) is an excellent value and weighs just over 100 g depending upon size. To save big weight for little money go to ebay and look for them in the old graphics version for about $20 new or used. They used to be more than $60 even on ebay when they were the current model. Many folks buy stems and then immediately unload them due to the size being wrong. Their loss is your gain.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 07-29-16, 09:10 PM
rpenmanparker 

Crank and BB are FSA and the rest including chain is 105. based on some other threads I've found, the total weight of the groupset is about 180grams less for 6800 vs 5800. I haven't ridden much 6800 ultegra, is it worth the cost?
That is totally false. My 1,250 g Bike Hub Store alloy wheels cost under $300 in parts. If I didn't build them myself, the whole package would have been about $350 including a professional wheel build.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 07-29-16, 09:21 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by FBinNY
I stopped reading at that point because I don't care about your bike's weight, or any other, including mine for that matter.

However, I thought I'd let you in on a little secret about digital scales. Most (non-scientific) digital scales have resolutions much finer than the actual reading capability of the measuring element. So, while the 0.1# resolution is very comforting, it doesn't imply actual accuracy anywhere near that.

This makes a problem because people reweigh stuff to check and the scale makers would get nasty letters. To avoid that they sneak in a logic chip, which retains the first result, and snaps anything close back to that. The reading will only change when the difference is greater than a preset trigger or after a set time interval.

I post this only to counter the myth that digital stuff is more accurate than analog. In most cases of comparable quality the opposite is true.
Yes, bathroom scales (even digital balances) are a poor instrument for weighing a bicycle. Even the Chinese fish/luggage scales for under $10 are significantly better. The Park brand scale is probably pretty good, but I am happy with the much cheaper fish scale.

I do have a bathroom scale which gives widely different readings on successive weighings and a standard deviation considerably greater than the scale resolution of 0.1 lb. It must be missing the cheater chip. But it would suck for weighing a bike.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 07-29-16, 09:26 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,514 Times in 2,857 Posts
I'm down from 225 to 193 just this year . . . lets say that's made a significant improvement. I'm just having my first actual weight weenie moment, and I would like to say my bike is sub 20 ready to ride just because.
Just weigh your bike in kilograms instead of pounds;
Presto! It is under 10 already.
Old 07-29-16, 11:28 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Heaviest components are typically

1) Wheels
2) Crank
3) Cassette
4) Everything else

If you're getting crank flex, upgrading to 105/Ultegra is potentially a good way to lose a few grams and eliminate any FD rub.
Old 07-30-16, 03:35 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
Heaviest components are typically

1) Wheels
2) Crank
3) Cassette
4) Everything else

If you're getting crank flex, upgrading to 105/Ultegra is potentially a good way to lose a few grams and eliminate any FD rub.
Yep. Upgrade in this order. But I would say first buy a digital kitchen scale.

In lieu of cassette there's more bang for buck with Chinese carbon saddle and post. Check the tires as well
Old 07-30-16, 03:59 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Good job with the weight loss, but be careful with your weight weenie addiction because once you start you can't stop. Like someone else said, figure 450 grams is a pound and do the math. You must do all of the homework involved to figure this out by making a list of every single component on your bike and its current weight. Then shop online and use listed weights to see where you'd be after buying each item. My guess is your frame, fork, and wheels are the biggest contributor to the bikes heft.
Old 07-30-16, 05:54 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Yes, bathroom scales (even digital balances) are a poor instrument for weighing a bicycle. Even the Chinese fish/luggage scales for under $10 are significantly better. The Park brand scale is probably pretty good, but I am happy with the much cheaper fish scale. ...

Originally Posted by FBinNY
However, I thought I'd let you in on a little secret about digital scales. Most (non-scientific) digital scales have resolutions much finer than the actual reading capability of the measuring element. So, while the 0.1# resolution is very comforting, it doesn't imply actual accuracy anywhere near that....
I mentally adjust mine to .5 pound precision and even that's pushing it since readings will fluctuate up to .8 pounds. But some digital bathroom scales are accurate, if you want to pay for it.

I'd say that's the first weight weenie investment. OP might lose a pound off his bike just by better measurement!

I'd check wheels and tires next just because that's where you can find the most weight the most inexpensively, depending on what you're starting with.
Old 07-30-16, 06:47 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
If you just want to be able to say that, then lie. No one will weigh your bike.

Also big Sunday morning dump.

Last edited by memebag; 07-30-16 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-30-16, 07:59 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by fbinny
to avoid that they sneak in a logic chip, which retains the first result, and snaps anything close back to that. The reading will only change when the difference is greater than a preset trigger or after a set time interval.
I KNEW it!!!!
Old 07-30-16, 08:00 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Good for you on improving your fitness level! But I would say save your pennies and ride what you got for a while longer. Head over to the weight weenies forum for a reality check of their OCD. It's a sick obsession Forget a sub-20 bike, or even sub-15. Nobody blinks an eye for that. Try around sub-12, and for that, you'd need to start with a decent frame.

Post pics of your bike when you have a chance.
Old 07-30-16, 08:04 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You could remove the front wheel and learn how to ride it by balancing on the rear wheel. I saw a guy in the circus do this once.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.