Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ultegra vs. 105

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Ultegra vs. 105

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-16, 07:01 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ultegra vs. 105

Just how much real world difference is there in the performance and durability between Ultegra and 105 hubs? From what I'm finding there is about 20g difference between the Ultegra and 105 rear hubs and less than that for the front. Are there any other major advantages for Ultegra or is it a significant jump in price point to shave a few grams and have a blingier (is that a word?) finish and more bragging rights?
Old 09-08-16, 07:29 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN
Just how much real world difference is there in the performance and durability between Ultegra and 105 hubs? From what I'm finding there is about 20g difference between the Ultegra and 105 rear hubs and less than that for the front. Are there any other major advantages for Ultegra or is it a significant jump in price point to shave a few grams and have a blingier (is that a word?) finish and more bragging rights?
Real world, not much. I have both.
Old 09-08-16, 07:32 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Depends somewhat with which years" versions you're comparing. But I don't believe there's much actual difference in the bearing elements IN REAL LIFE AFTER REAL USE. Well maintained and lubed bearings will bed in and run smoother after initial use even if the rolling surfaces are not ground and polished when new, they become smoothened with use. BUT the sealing designs do have some differences, some versions have significant improvements in sealing. It is this I would focus on.

20 gm in the center of one's wheels... come on If I wear thinner socks, cut my hair or pee before riding the difference will be more then 20gm. And at the centers of the rotation the inertia difference is almost moot. Andy.
Old 09-08-16, 07:40 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
A decade or so ago 105 hubs had a neoprene o-ring wiper seal. Ultegra hubs had a double labyrinth sealing mechanism. I'd guess the Ultegra hub should lave less drag but I doubt anyone could ever sense the difference.
Old 09-08-16, 07:41 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
GravelMN, I've had all of Shimano's road group hubs except for Tiagra and for a recreational rider they're all dependable. I used 105 hubs for the majority of my old distance bike's 15K miles without regret.

WRT the hubs themselves it is just a matter of appearance and a slight weight difference between the 105 and Ultegra hubs. I like my groups to be as complete as possible so my hubs matched whatever group (usually Ultegra) I chose.

Brad
Old 09-08-16, 07:48 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
To me, 105 remains at the "sweet spot" for components-- close to half the price of Ultegra for just a tiny bit more weight, and seems to last every bit as long (if not longer.) My wife's bike came with a mix of 5700 105 and 4600 Tiagra, and I slowly switched out all of the Tiagra to 105. It has been absolutely flawless, and see no reason to "upgrade" any further.
Old 09-08-16, 09:07 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,424 Times in 2,532 Posts
...is Ultegra a significant jump in price point to shave a few grams and have a blingier (is that a word?) finish and more bragging rights?
Yes.

Also +100 DrIsotope. There was a recent thread (probably many of them in the past) discussing the 'sweet spot' in the shimano hierarchy. The overwhelming consensus was either Tiagra or 105, depending on whether an individual leaned towards cheap/reliable or weight-weenie. My understanding is that quality, performance, finish, and weight, all improve until you get to 105; beyond that, weight, finish and performance continue to marginally improve, but durability declines.
Old 09-08-16, 09:28 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Yes.

Also +100 DrIsotope. There was a recent thread (probably many of them in the past) discussing the 'sweet spot' in the shimano hierarchy. The overwhelming consensus was either Tiagra or 105, depending on whether an individual leaned towards cheap/reliable or weight-weenie. My understanding is that quality, performance, finish, and weight, all improve until you get to 105; beyond that, weight, finish and performance continue to marginally improve, but durability declines.
Huh?
Old 09-08-16, 09:29 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Ultegra and DA are less durable than 105, because they are aimed at racing, so they are made lighter/thinner
Old 09-08-16, 09:35 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
^^ bs
Old 09-08-16, 10:26 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
In the used parts market, Ultegra and 105 are often very close in price, so no reason not to use Ultegra if the cost is virtually the same. From a performance perspective, my 65 year old self can see no difference.

With regard to reliability, despite my best efforts I've never managed to wear out anything made by Shimano, so that wouldn't even enter the equation. For me, anyway.
Old 09-08-16, 10:49 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
In terms of durability: probably not a big difference. I ride a used 1989 Cannondale 3.0 which still has the original Shimano 105 components on it (1050) series. And they still work great! I've had to replace the chain, freewheel and such over time, but the derailleurs, cranks, etc are still the originals, no need to replace. So basically, the parts will last you decades and not wear out (apart from "consumable" parts such as bottom brackets, chains and cassettes).

The main difference will be the weight, and even then, in the modern groupsets 5800 and 6800, the weight difference is pretty small between 105 and Ultegra (I think Ultegra to Dura Ace is a bigger step in weight). If you don't care about the weight or "bling factor" you should get 105.

Ultegra and DA are less durable than 105, because they are aimed at racing, so they are made lighter/thinner
This is certainly not true and an old wives tale.

The exception being Dura Ace (and maybe Ultegra) cassettes, where they make some of the lesser used sprockets out of titanium or aluminum to save weight, which is less durable than all-steel cassettes. But Dura Ace and Ultegra Derailleurs, cranks, shifters, etc. certainly are not less durable, probably more durable due to harder, high-end finishes.
Old 09-08-16, 10:58 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
The OP question was about hubs and as with the overall group, I can't tell a difference.

I've been on Ultegra hub wheels for decades, recently went to CXP33's with 105, they come in black and it's an all black build, and I cannot tell a difference except my wallet is heavier with some money saved - maybe $30 ?.

I think 105 is the sweet spot in the Shimano group for price vs. function/performance.
Old 09-08-16, 11:03 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I'm not going to be as direct as trailangle but my experience says this isn't correct. They are lighter and thinner but made of somewhat better materials so their durability is at least equal. I have a pair of Dura Ace hubs, still in daily use, with well over 50,000 miles on them still using the original races, cones and freehub body and a 9-speed era Ultegra rear derailleur with about 40,000 miles and still shifting extremely well.

No question 105 is very good stuff and plenty durable but not superior to Ultegra or Dura Ace except in cost.
Old 09-08-16, 01:37 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
105, Ultegra, Dura Ace, all good stuff through the years.

Threads like this always remind me of one of my favorite "sign-offs" by Sheldon:

Dura Ace is for suckers.
Sheldon "105" Brown

I'm not looking to start an argument about component choices, btw. I just think Sheldon was often pretty clever with his posts.
Old 09-08-16, 02:59 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by well biked
Threads like this always remind me of one of my favorite "sign-offs" by Sheldon:

Dura Ace is for suckers.
Sheldon "105" Brown

I'm not looking to start an argument about component choices, btw. I just think Sheldon was often pretty clever with his posts.
That's in the same category as the Campy owner's comment that; "Record is the pretentious man's Chorus".
Old 09-08-16, 03:03 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,403 Times in 2,744 Posts
Not sure if this has been mentioned but there is a significant difference in the way current generation hubs are adjusted. 6800 has the new method where adjustment is by hand w/o needing cone wrenches. 5800 uses the traditional method we all know and love. I prefer the shiny silver or black of the current 5800 to the meh gray of 6800 but the new adjustment method would be hard to pass up.
Old 09-08-16, 04:04 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
^^ bs
Originally Posted by maartendc
This is certainly not true and an old wives tale.
Originally Posted by HillRider
I'm not going to be as direct as trailangle but my experience says this isn't correct.
Look, those of us who buy 105 want to tell ourselves that we're not just saving money, we're making the smart choice. You guys are ruining our narrative with all of this reality.

Seriously though, the 5800-series 105 hubs still use a steel axle, while 6800 Ultegra has moved to aluminum which also means smaller bearings. I know a lot of mountain bikers chose SLX over XT for this reason after XT went to aluminum axles. For road riding it's probably not as big a deal. For gravel, maybe somewhere in between.
Old 09-08-16, 04:14 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by HillRider
That's in the same category as the Campy owner's comment that; "Record is the pretentious man's Chorus".
Where does that leave Super Record?

Not too long ago I was commenting on UK groupset prices and I made some comment to the effect that Tiagra was "obviously" worth the <$100 price difference relative to Sora. Someone (I think it was @wphamilton) called me on my BS, asking why it would be obvious that anyone should be willing to pay more for a group that didn't add any significant functional changes.

This is clearly a slippery slope. If you start making yourself justify the cost of every upgrade and always buy the cheapest thing that works for your purposes you'll end up riding around on Claris in no time. What will the neighbors say?
Old 09-08-16, 04:34 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K

Not too long ago I was commenting on UK groupset prices and I made some comment to the effect that Tiagra was "obviously" worth the <$100 price difference relative to Sora. Someone (I think it was @wphamilton) called me on my BS, asking why it would be obvious that anyone should be willing to pay more for a group that didn't add any significant functional changes.

This is clearly a slippery slope. If you start making yourself justify the cost of every upgrade and always buy the cheapest thing that works for your purposes you'll end up riding around on Claris in no time. What will the neighbors say?
They laugh at me, I think, but I don't care. I'd rather have Sora though
Old 09-08-16, 04:45 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by wphamilton
They laugh at me, I think, but I don't care. I'd rather have Sora though
It really is a very reasonable position. The rest of us like to buy jewelry for our bikes but don't like to admit that.
Old 09-08-16, 04:48 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I wonder when they'll release Claris 2800 with 11-speed?
Old 09-08-16, 05:06 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Hubs not much difference. Over the years sometimes there are more pronounced differences in some series than others, for example, 105-5500 used JIS screws for all the adjustments, Ultegra used proper socket head screws. After a few years, one is perfectly functional, the other has the stripped heads. Newer 105 uses socket head screws for everything, so that difference vanished.
Old 09-08-16, 06:33 PM
Andy_K 

I wonder when they'll release Claris 2800 with 11-speed?
The new Sora group stayed at 9-speeds. I guess someone at Shimano realized they could trickle down the technology without increasing the number of cogs. I think it makes sense, but I'm not sure how long they'll be able to maintain that position.

Shimano has historically made products for a customer base that didn't want to admit its own existence. The Tiagra and Sora lines have been directed toward enthusiast cyclists who are interesting in "sport" riding but aren't actually competitive racers (a nice way of saying we don't have the legs to use a 53-39x11-23 drivetrain). The current Sora page on the Shimano website describes them as "sports/fitness cyclists."

For a group like this 9-speed drivetrains and triple cranksets make a lot of sense. Unfortunately, the majority of riders in this segment seem intent on telling themselves that they need the same equipment the racers have. It's a shame because it seems like it would otherwise be possible for component manufacturers to develop new products that better served this segment instead of just trickling down racing technology.
Old 09-08-16, 06:51 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by Andy_K
The comment was made before Super Record was around and Record was the top of the Campy heap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.