Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to run 700cs on a bike that takes 559 w/o using vbrakes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-18, 07:10 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts

I'm so dissapointed with the fact my schwinn probe can clear 700Cs but a set of cantis(as I had assumed/feared) wouldn't work. Personally I hate Vbrakes, which I know would work to use 700s on this frame. Now that I'm thinking... I could probably use sidepulls on the frame, but what could I do with the canti bosses if I did, as question number two.
Old 04-30-18, 07:45 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Vbrakes wouldn't work any better than cantilever brakes with 700c wheels
Old 04-30-18, 08:11 PM
Cross Creek

Bikes: 2013 Rivendell Sam, 1996 Bianchi Milano, 1994 Trek 820

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Putting 700c wheels/tires on a hard tail mtn bike won’t turn it into a road bike, even if you can figure out a kludge brake mod that won’t get you killed. Two better options to make your bike more road-friendly:

1. Get smooth tread 26 inch tires for your current wheels (or a second set, if you want to keep the originals for off-road use). There are lots of options available, and you’ll be able to run wide tires that roll faster and more comfortably over a variety of road and path surfaces.

2. Convert your bike to 650b, if there is enough brake reach to support the larger wheels. I’ve done this on a couple of older 26 inch bikes with excellent results. I used V brakes on one because they had more reach than the original cantis and long reach calipers (Tektro 559) but that choice will be frame-dependent. One benefit of a 26 inch to 650b conversion is that the already high bottom bracket of a mtn bike won't be raised nearly as much as with 700c. Another is toe overlap will be less likely, or at least less serious.
Old 04-30-18, 08:50 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Putting a 700c wheel on a bike designed for 26" wheels would move the brake track 31.5 mm. I doubt there's any cantilever or v-brake that would accommodate such a huge difference. There are clamp-on cantilever brake bosses, but if you want to go that route, it'll take some searching to find some that might be compatible with your frame & forks.

Brake adapters won't do anything for the other potential issues you could run into, like the change in trail and how that might affect handling.
Old 04-30-18, 10:37 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
I'm so dissapointed with the fact my schwinn probe can clear 700Cs but a set of cantis(as I had assumed/feared) wouldn't work. Personally I hate Vbrakes, which I know would work to use 700s on this frame. Now that I'm thinking... I could probably use sidepulls on the frame, but what could I do with the canti bosses if I did, as question number two.
V-brakes aren't going to do much better than centerpull cantis in terms of being able to move the pads up several centimeters. There's no practical way to use your existing cantilever bosses on 700c wheels.

Why are you trying to stick 700c wheels on a 26er bike?
Old 04-30-18, 10:47 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Why are you trying to stick 700c wheels on a 26er bike?
+1. Buy some Compass Naches Pass (or Rat Trap Pass if you have enough room) tires and you will be loving the 26" life again.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-01-18, 04:10 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
If you're really set on 700c on a 26" frame, there are a few ways to do it effectively - all using hub brakes instead of rim brakes.

disc brakes (usually need new fork for front, rear is more difficult with welding). Could change front fork and use coaster in the rear.

stirmey-archer (or other, but Can't think of good ones) drum brakes
Old 05-01-18, 04:33 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12738 Post(s)
Liked 7,651 Times in 4,058 Posts
Long reach road calipers should work. Best to go with an old-style nutted one in back, as you need a 90 degree drill to run recessed back there. Pretty easy to drill out back of fork for recessed.

Here's the setup I have on my Park Pre

Assuming your bike is like this one, should be no problem.
Attached Files

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 05-01-18 at 04:42 AM.
Old 05-01-18, 07:20 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
When I built my fixed gear conversion I fitted 700c wheels onto an old mountain bike that had previously had 559 wheels. A standard caliper brake fit perfectly from the fork crown reflector hole to the rim. The back looks like it would fit too but I didn't fit one because it's a fixed gear.
Old 05-01-18, 01:05 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Originally Posted by Cross Creek
Putting 700c wheels/tires on a hard tail mtn bike won’t turn it into a road bike, even if you can figure out a kludge brake mod that won’t get you killed. Two better options to make your bike more road-friendly:

1. Get smooth tread 26 inch tires for your current wheels (or a second set, if you want to keep the originals for off-road use). There are lots of options available, and you’ll be able to run wide tires that roll faster and more comfortably over a variety of road and path surfaces.

2. Convert your bike to 650b, if there is enough brake reach to support the larger wheels. I’ve done this on a couple of older 26 inch bikes with excellent results. I used V brakes on one because they had more reach than the original cantis and long reach calipers (Tektro 559) but that choice will be frame-dependent. One benefit of a 26 inch to 650b conversion is that the already high bottom bracket of a mtn bike won't be raised nearly as much as with 700c. Another is toe overlap will be less likely, or at least less serious.
A Schwinn Probe is not a mountainbike, it's a citybike. Offroading it, would probably destroy it. Its basically a seemingly road frame built to use 559 wheels.
Old 05-01-18, 01:24 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

A Schwinn Probe is not a mountainbike, it's a citybike. Offroading it, would probably destroy it. Its basically a seemingly road frame built to use 559 wheels.
That's actually what most MTBs were like in 1990. As an example, here's Trek's second best MTB in 1990.

Old 05-01-18, 01:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Drum brake hub wheels can be retrofitted with all fittings strapping on, no brazing needed,
but you probably count grammes so it adds too much weight..

but what could I do with the canti bosses if I did ..
cover them with a "thread protector", which is essentially a mass produced plastidip cover for threaded things to remain undamaged in shipping..

​​​​​​​...

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-01-18 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-01-18, 01:31 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Since I can't post a picture. It came in three sizes, this one, like the one I had before it, are the largest size. My old one had the wheelset off my old Mongoose XR250, with a kenda kwest in the front and a kenda 838 rear and had a LeTour crank. My reason for wanting 700Cs on it, is I have basically a wheelset for it, an 8speed rear and derailure I'd otherwise have no use for.
Schwinn Probe
Old 05-01-18, 03:25 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Here's something that I don't think has been mentioned yet in this thread - brakes similar to V-brakes that apparently work with 26", 27.5", and 700c wheels: https://paulcomp.com/shop/components/motolite/

And a video about them: https://vimeo.com/158260982

I have no affiliation with that company, nor have I tried that product, but thought it was relevant to this discussion.
Old 05-01-18, 03:31 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I could probably use sidepulls on the frame, but what could I do with the canti bosses if I did, as question number two.
1. It's going to be an old frakenbike. What's wrong with just leaving them on?
2. When I built my fix, I cut off candy bosses with a Dremel and smoothed out the nubs with a file.
Old 05-01-18, 04:56 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
If you can't find a rim brake that will work, you could use hub brakes. Unless your frame/fork is designed for disc brakes,that would mean drum brakes. Sturmey-Archer makes a few models.
Old 05-01-18, 05:48 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Squeeze
Here's something that I don't think has been mentioned yet in this thread - brakes similar to V-brakes that apparently work with 26", 27.5", and 700c wheels: https://paulcomp.com/shop/components/motolite/

And a video about them: https://vimeo.com/158260982

I have no affiliation with that company, nor have I tried that product, but thought it was relevant to this discussion.

Another option are ye olde Avid Tri-aligns. Unfortunately the Schwinn's original brake levers aren't gonna work that well with V-brakes. They'll be short pull caliper/canti pull levers.
Old 05-01-18, 11:45 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Another option are ye olde Avid Tri-aligns. Unfortunately the Schwinn's original brake levers aren't gonna work that well with V-brakes. They'll be short pull caliper/canti pull levers.
It's got a set of some adjustable Tektro brake levers on it.
Old 05-01-18, 11:46 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
1. It's going to be an old frakenbike. What's wrong with just leaving them on?
2. When I built my fix, I cut off candy bosses with a Dremel and smoothed out the nubs with a file.
Yeah, I don't want to cut them off.
Old 05-09-18, 10:13 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Yeah, I don't want to cut them off.
I've put short M6 button head screws or set screws in.
Old 05-10-18, 08:53 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeeze
Here's something that I don't think has been mentioned yet in this thread - brakes similar to V-brakes that apparently work with 26", 27.5", and 700c wheels...
While those Paul Motolites could be a valid option for some people in a similar situation, I somehow doubt Jax is going to spend well over $200 for brakes on a Schwinn Probe. ;-)
Old 05-10-18, 05:14 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Yeah...no... I'm just going to run somr sidepulls and figure out if there's something trick I can do with the brake mounts, like make something that bolts on to hold a headlight.
Old 05-10-18, 05:21 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I converted a Raleigh Tangent from 559 to 700. Used long reach brakes. The BB was quite high, kind of handled like a truck in the corners, but I commuted for 2 years like that. Turned out to be a great ride.
Old 05-10-18, 10:03 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
you can use the brake bosses to mount a front rack, nitto makes one that fits connects to the front bosses.
Old 05-11-18, 12:24 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18352 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Here is the Litespeed build

Frame came without a fork, so I used a road fork.

Rear cable stop for cantis, so I re-used the cable stop for vintage center pull brakes. I had to drill the rear brake bridge which was on the bike, but not drilled.

For now, I've left the rear cantis bosses in place. I suppose I could grind them off, but didn't want to do it yet. I may do some further mods to the frame later. Or, perhaps I'll decide to build a MTB out of it someday (which is a good reason not to do many irreversible changes).

135mm spacing of the rear triangle is a bit of a pain. It means no swapping wheels between bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.