Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Diamond Llama vs LHT for commuting/camping/surfing

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 05-27-19, 07:43 AM
eggnoggbubble

Bikes: Surly Pack Rat (size 54 - I'm 5'11"), Surly Pugsley Ops (tires:JJ4.0)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

Hi all,

I have a Haul-a-day which I love, but even this lightest of cargo bikes is a little bit too much bike for when it's just me, so I'm kicking around ideas for a second bike (the Haul-a-day might get sold once my kids grow out of riding on it - another 2-4 years I think - tho I might keep it as a hauler...or if that feels superfluous I might get a trailer...).

I need a bike that:
- is lighter than a haul-a-day, I want something a bit nippier for solo missions
- is suited for a 17km each way commute (only twice a week) with my work bag (laptop, lunch, papers etc)
- is agile enough for a little up-and-down curbs (so I'm thinking to avoid 700 wheels)
- can also carry enough for light camping....and also surfing (will attach board rack), so not a lightweight roadie
- might well add an after-market electric assist mid-drive (tongshen?) to improve my time/distance ratio...

Since I love my HAD I'm toying with the idea of a bike friday diamond llama - having a 20inch/folder would be a bit easier to store at home (limited space tho there is enough for a full-size bike if need be) and would open me up to more travel options (take it on the bus, lifts in friend's cars etc). However I am wondering if the 20inch wheels might slow me down a bit on the open road. Also the BFs are a tad pricey...

Alternatively I'm considering a 26inch tourer (I had 700 wheels on a cross bike before but missed the agility of smaller wheels when in the city), maybe LHT or something similar. Fewer travel / storage options than with a folder but better ride than the Llama???

Either way will probably try drop-bars, I want something that I can push a bit higher pace on. Nothing too speedy tho, I'm a bit of a pottering-pace rider nowadays: would rather slow down and arrive refreshed (must be gettting old).

Anyone any thoughts? Anyone ridden similar and can offer a comparison?
Old 05-27-19, 09:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Thumbs up Bi Fri

Tikit was their last true folding bike, now their PackIt is like the others , part fold part come apart ..
( but is lighter than the better folding Brompton)

Newest NWT picked up 'silk ' option belt drive as the BB is in the rear portion , hinge above/ahead ..

the Llama (if it is like mine), BB in the main frame folds behind it .. so derailleur ,
or chain tensioner if IGH specified.. Mine, R'off, disc, front pannier rack ..

& 2 tube front triangle , I lock mine up with an Abus Bordo lock , so the triangle makes that easy..

the motor, you, remains the same * the wheels ? want fast? specify a 451 wheelset
for a road bike like high pressure tire.. 28 wide..

Pocket Rocket is their drop bar road bike series .. that is their standard wheel size ..

*as does the air resistance against you, sitting on the saddle ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-28-19 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-27-19, 09:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
surf board ? maybe fabricate a wheeled dolly to strap on the board, & tow it like a trailer...
Old 05-27-19, 06:24 PM
eggnoggbubble

Bikes: Surly Pack Rat (size 54 - I'm 5'11"), Surly Pugsley Ops (tires:JJ4.0)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
yes to a dolly for the surfboard, i made a rack for my HAD which works pretty well (I even carry my SUP on it) but a dolly would be equally doable and would have the advantage of not adding weight when I'm not going surfing (or, not adding something I need to take off when I'm not surfing). Also the dolly combined with a plank of wood or two might make a serviceable general-purpose trailer for luggage missions!

anyone any thoughts on ride quality between those 2 options? I think there is a bit of conflict between the two - smaller more nimble and slower on the open road, or larger better for the open road but less nimble and takes up more space....

EDIT: interestingly this very detailed write up says that 20 inch wheels are only very slightly slower than 700 and the difference probably isn't noticeably by the average cyclist on paved roads (on rougher surfaces bigger wheels have more advantages).

"0 Based on my tests in Seattle, while riding over the same paved 25 mile route with my BF (20”x43 mm tires @ 65 psi)) and with my Surly LHT (700Cx38 mm tires @ 70 psi), there is a small increase in rolling resistance. The BF is a fraction slower – perhaps 0.5 mph. This may have been due to the wider tires and lower pressures. On paved roads, I don't think the difference between 700C and 20” tire diameter will matter to the average cyclist. In any event, I have become quite used to the speed of my BF on this tour. After 11,000 LHT touring miles, the LHT is still my favorite bike, and is better than my BF on gravel roads especially if there are rocks or sand. My Troll, with front suspension, is better than both bikes on bad roads."

(he's carrying a lot more stuff than I am likely to be carrying)

Last edited by eggnoggbubble; 05-28-19 at 03:15 AM.