Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Clicking Brooks Cambium C-17

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-19, 06:07 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts

My recently purchased Cambium C-17 started clicking when I return to the saddle after standing on the pedals. It is audible, but not loud. It's tactile as well so I feel it in my bottom. I've checked the rivet bolts as well as the mounting on the seat post and all are tight. The interesting thing is that it does not always occur. Some rides are click-free despite my trying to make it happen.

Any ideas? Should I be thinking about returning it as defective?
Old 08-10-19, 06:16 AM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If I was being slightly annoyed by a new seat that seems like it’s defective, I would take it back unless you ordered it from overseas like I did when I bought my Brooks saddle. If it was a local purchase, at least you could ask questions and express your concerns. I would not want an annoying click from a company that prides itself on quality.
Old 08-10-19, 08:48 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Well, I took a more thorough look at the saddle this morning. It turns out that the rails are not firmly attached to the back plate. Instead, the rear rail ends are a slip fit into the back plate, which perhaps was designed to allow a bit more flex to the saddle. They definitely move in and out slightly when pressure is put on the saddle. I'm guessing that this is the cause of the issue, primarily because they are the only things that can move. The question is - what can be done about this? I tried to wrap a bit of tape around the ends to tighten up the fit, but no success there. The original Cambiums had an aluminum back plate that required plastic caps to be placed over the rail ends. The new still like mine has a back plate made from a fiber-reinforced composite and no caps. Picture of the rail below. I reckon that I could come to tolerate the click. After all, I don't spend much time out of the saddle. I'd like to hear from some other Cambium owners.

Old 08-10-19, 11:10 AM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I have both the C17 and C17 all weather models on bikes. Both creak annoyingly as you describe, from the start. To make it even more interesting, I have managed to break both versions at the rails, right at the seat clamp. Note that I am a Clydesdale (240 lbs), so I chalked up the breaks to that, but the breaks happened on commuter bikes, all pavement ridden, with ample standing for potholes and the like. Replacement saddles creak, too. Not supposed to have a weight limit, per Brooks.

The saddle construction you describe sounds like the all weather version, which has the composite plate and solid rails. The older non-all weather version I have is made with the metal plate and hollow rails. At least on mine. I found a source for the hollow, non-all weather rails (to carry with me), as waiting a month for warranty replacement from Brooks is not an option going forward. Still waiting on word from Brooks about purchasing a replacement rail for the all weather version (their office is on vacation for several weeks), as I much prefer the comfort of it.

Are you a Clyde too? Hopefully the creaking is not a sign of coming failure, but I wonder.
Old 08-10-19, 12:23 PM
starchase

Bikes: 1992 Giant Farrago; 2011 KHS, TC-150

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
You tried tape but did you try duck tape??
Old 08-10-19, 01:39 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Originally Posted by But its me
I have both the C17 and C17 all weather models on bikes. Both creak annoyingly as you describe, from the start. To make it even more interesting, I have managed to break both versions at the rails, right at the seat clamp. Note that I am a Clydesdale (240 lbs), so I chalked up the breaks to that, but the breaks happened on commuter bikes, all pavement ridden, with ample standing for potholes and the like. Replacement saddles creak, too. Not supposed to have a weight limit, per Brooks.

The saddle construction you describe sounds like the all weather version, which has the composite plate and solid rails. The older non-all weather version I have is made with the metal plate and hollow rails. At least on mine. I found a source for the hollow, non-all weather rails (to carry with me), as waiting a month for warranty replacement from Brooks is not an option going forward. Still waiting on word from Brooks about purchasing a replacement rail for the all weather version (their office is on vacation for several weeks), as I much prefer the comfort of it.

Are you a Clyde too? Hopefully the creaking is not a sign of coming failure, but I wonder.
Yep, I have the new all weather version with solid rails. I have less than 100 miles on the saddle and the noise started within less than an hour of use, so shouldn't be in a failure window. I'm not a Clyde but even if I were, I would expect better performance from a saddle than you have gotten. It's crazy that you have to carry spare rails. I found a few internet recommendations to grease or oil the areas where the rail contacts the saddle, so I'll probably try that next.

Also from what I've read, many experience creaking while seated. My issue pales in comparison to that. I like the saddle and if I have to put up with an occasional click it would be ok. Thanks.

Originally Posted by starchase
You tried tape but did you try duck tape??
one layer of thin electrical tape barely fit. No way anything thicker will work.
Old 08-10-19, 02:18 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Yep, I have the new all weather version with solid rails. I have less than 100 miles on the saddle and the noise started within less than an hour of use, so shouldn't be in a failure window. I'm not a Clyde but even if I were, I would expect better performance from a saddle than you have gotten. It's crazy that you have to carry spare rails.
Oh, definitely crazy that I have to carry rails (and that I break them). If it were not for comfort and weather tolerance, I would definitely not tote backup rails. Brooks’ warranty service was a pain in that I had to wait for a local dealer to submit the request, then wait about a month for a replacement. One positive is that I did not have to ship it back directly.