Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dry wall screw through the rim repair

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-03-19, 10:46 AM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

I got a dry wall screw straight through the tire and rim of my new carbon Easton EC90 SL tubeless rear wheel. Deep enough section rim it is only through the inner part of the rim. My question is what to do to seal that hole to go back to tubeless since it is the kind of rim you don't use tubeless rim tape to seal. Patch the hole with epoxy, section of tape to cover the hole, full wrap of tubeless tape? I am leaning towards a full wrap of tape, since patching the hole may be difficult with no access to one side.
Old 09-03-19, 10:52 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
You're kidding, right?
Old 09-03-19, 10:57 AM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
You're kidding, right?
No, why?
Old 09-03-19, 10:58 AM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
I would drill out the hole until there are no sharp edges or cracks that could propagate (grow) into bigger cracks. Then assuming the hole is not that big, I would just seal the hole. Epoxy could set up hard and may break away with wheel flex so I would go to your local hardware or automotive store and by a tube of liquid gasket. Clean the area well with spirits and chalk the hole with that and let it cure. It should adhere well and flex a bit with the wheel.

Of course I have never done this repair before but I do know you need to prevent further cracking and I have used "liquid" gasket to seal things and it is strong, and hard to remove.
Old 09-03-19, 11:02 AM
jeffreythree

Originally Posted by bikeaddiction1
I would drill out the hole until there are no sharp edges or cracks that could propagate (grow) into bigger cracks. Then assuming the hole is not that big, I would just seal the hole. Epoxy could set up hard and may break away with wheel flex so I would go to your local hardware or automotive store and by a tube of liquid gasket. Clean the area well with spirits and chalk the hole with that and let it cure. It should adhere well and flex a bit with the wheel.

Of course I have never done this repair before but I do know you need to prevent further cracking and I have used "liquid" gasket to seal things and it is strong, and hard to remove.
It is a tiny hole, like a puncture wound, and much smaller than are typical rims spoke nipple holes. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-03-19, 11:16 AM
jeffreythree

May be a moot point since I found out Easton has a 2 year no questions asked warranty on this wheel while I was on their website looking up their contact info.
Old 09-03-19, 11:26 AM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
If they will replace it I would go for that.
Likes For bikeaddiction1:
Old 09-03-19, 08:18 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I had the same thing happen a few years ago. I ran over a ring-shank roofing nail which penetrated the tire, tube, the interior rim wall and wound up protruding slightly from the rim between two spokes. It was so solidly stuck in the rim I couldn't pull it out by hand and a cell phone call to my long-suffering wife was necessary.

When I got it home I pulled the nail out with pliers, smoothed the edges of the holes, replaced the tire, tube, and rim tape and put the wheel back into daily service. It lasted until the brake track eventually wore out but the nail hole was no problem.
Likes For HillRider: