Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dura Ace 7400 Slip

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Dura Ace 7400 Slip

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-19, 11:12 PM
Maccmahon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dura Ace 7400 Slip

I will first apologize to those who have seen and replied to similar posts. I assure you I have read many, and though some are similar, I still don't have the answers I need for my particular issue.

Bike: I bought a 1987 Schwinn Paramount with a complete and shiny Dura Ace 7400 groupset for a very very reasonable price. After inspecting the bike carefully, I determined that the dust and dirt helped prove this was a lucky "barn find", and that the minor paint scratches would not deter from the quality of the bike at all. After getting the bike back to the house, I decided to clean it, lube it, and take it for a ride.

Issue: After only about 10 miles, I began to feel a little slip when peddling with some extra force. This seemed to progress, and soon I was slipping about a quarter of a rotation. It seemed to be worse after first letting the free hub spin (coasting) and then applying force on the pedals. I know knew there was a little issue with the freehub that would need to be addressed.

Attempted Resolution: I am by no means a bicycle mechanic; I am more of a mechanically inclined hobbyist with a decent tool collection. Regardless, I decided I would handle this issue myself. The rear wheel is know sitting in my garage, mostly disassembled with the exception of the freehub. I ran into a little bit of an issue when I realized I didn't have the tools necessary to complete the removal of the freehub. Naturally I took to the internet. I have read many forums (some like this one) regarding the removal of the freehub, the use of the TL-FH10 (which is $74.99 plus shipping on eBay), fabricating a tool out of a socket, or just cleaning and greasing with white lightning.

While at work, I decided to take an 11/16 socket and i ground it down leaving the two (of 4) prongs needed to disassemble the hub. After putting a little force into a LH turn, the socket teeth broke loose, and my newly fabricated spanner socket too was broken. I then took to the forums again, and am still left unsure what to do.

Request for Help: I am now thinking just cleaning and lubing the Freehub might be my best option. I have sprayed WD-40 followed by White Lightning lube a few times, and the freehub seems to engaging properly now, but it doesn't sound right. It also feels rough. Will I be able to get the freehub back to a good condition, by only using WD-40 and White Lightning, or should I purchase the TL-FH10 from eBay and a new freehub and replace it. Obviously I would prefer the cheaper method. Thanks

Last edited by Homebrew01; 10-16-19 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Readability
Old 10-14-19, 03:09 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Use the WD40. I wouldn't put White Lighten lube in there.... that's wax. Will make it worse IMO.
Put wheel back on and try it.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 10-14-19, 03:29 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Removal of the freehub body might allow you to soak it a little better in WD40 or mineral spirits. Since you don’t possess the TL-FH10, you seem to be on the right track getting the freehub operating again.

I was with you when you say you sprayed WD40 in there. This acts as a solvent to loosen up dried grease that most likely is making your pawls stick. Then you say you used White Lightning. And why did you choose White Lightening? I thought White Lightning was a wax based chain lube. It deposits paraffin wax using a solvent carrier to get into tight spaces then the solvent evaporates allowing the wax to solidify. This is most likely the cause of the funny sound you are hearing.

I would flush the White Lightning out then put drizzle some medium or thick oil such as motor oil or Pedro’s Synth Lube into the crack between the FH body and the bearing race and spin it in.

I would imagine the sound would would become more normal then and the slippage would stop.

Freehub body disassembly tools are being sold on eBay very affordably by some Chinese vendors. I bought one for under 10$ and it appears to be properly designed.
Old 10-14-19, 05:58 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Once I removed the 7403 freehub from the hub, I cleaned it out with brake cleaner, and then let it soak in Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil for a couple of days. Took it out and let it drain for another couple of days, and installed it. Works perfectly, and should be lubed for life.
Old 10-14-19, 09:12 AM
Maccmahon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Speedevil, this a great idea. Thanks!
Old 10-14-19, 10:51 AM
Maccmahon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by trailangel
I wouldn't put White Lighten lube in there.... that's wax. Will make it worse
Thanks, I will go back to the WD40 method.
Old 10-15-19, 06:05 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Grease in the free hub will stick the pawls in cold weather too. Sounds like you are doing the right things.
Good luck