Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

drilling and tapping

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

drilling and tapping

Old 05-07-07, 04:27 PM
Rammer
Texas Sec. 545.401

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
drilling and tapping

I presume it's a bad idea to modify the forks of a bike with a drill to make a screw hole for say front racks? Seems it would affect the structural integrity. Are forks with mount holes made of thicker tube than those without?

What about modifying the down tube to add more spots for water bottle cages?
Old 05-07-07, 04:42 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Use clamps instead of drilling holes in your bike.
Old 05-07-07, 05:03 PM
CampyGuy

Bikes: '78 Raleigh Grand Prix, '85 Trek 510

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If bolting on something is a must, take the frame to a trusted framebuilder and have him braze in waterbottle mounts, and modify your fork. If you can live with things clamped on then I agree with Old Fat Guy, it's a much easier and cheaper way to do things
Old 05-07-07, 05:07 PM
coelcanth
hunter, gatherer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
forks with rack mounts usually have brazed-on threaded bosses or a reinforcing tube through the whole blade

adding braze-ons will require brazing, although i think it's possible to use riveted bosses on thin sections of tubing (as on aluminum frames)
Old 05-07-07, 05:48 PM
poopncow
MADE IN HONG KONG

Bikes: some but not enough

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree! material is too thin, so you must add a boss of some sort (brazed or do they actually rivet?)
Actually, not sure if I would trust putting a rivet on the fork...
Old 05-07-07, 05:54 PM
Otis

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I've seen H20 cages added by using "nutserts". Which are basically a molly type fastener, a threaded insert that you place in a drilled hole, then using a special tool to expand the part inside the frame. If done correctly it's a decent option depending on what kind of frame you are modifying. Properly brazing would be best though.
Old 05-07-07, 07:41 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rammer
I presume it's a bad idea to modify the forks of a bike with a drill to make a screw hole for say front racks? Seems it would affect the structural integrity. Are forks with mount holes made of thicker tube than those without?

What about modifying the down tube to add more spots for water bottle cages?
The thickness of the tubing, and the tubing material itself would be important factors.

Also, rider weight and type of riding.

If the bike is barely strong enough to begin with, drilling holes is probably a bad idea.

If it is overbuilt, and there are margins to spare, I don't think there would be a problem.

EXCEPT: holes can create stress raisers. (It is probably a good idea to talk with a good frame builder who understands these things well.)
Old 05-07-07, 08:00 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Guys,

If the OP is talking about drilling holes himself, I'm guessing it ain't Masi he's tapping.

In any case, I don't think the OP had brazing fittings on and repainting in mind.

I hat to see anyone drill any old frame, if they aren't a builder. I wouldn't drill a Schwinn Colliegiate, for xxxxxsakes.

There are many alternatives for fenders/bottles besides drilling holes, which is what the OP asked about in the first place!

Sorry for ranting, long day.