Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Are you an ambidextrous or right hand only downtuber?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-07, 08:16 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts

Had my 1980's steed out the other day. What a relief to not worry about my high tech Dura Ace 9 speed triple STI's (I did miss the Flightdeck however).

Really fun drivetrain with Ultegra 6503 triple up front and Deore LX mid-cage rear, with tight 13-23 old uniglide 7 speed cluster. Mavic index downtube levers are nice and chunky and index just fine with Shimano, they even have built in "trim" for the REAR.

This drivetrain is so intuitive, I experience mucho pleasure and my mind is at rest and I enjoy the ride instead of pondering "when's the best time to shift?".

But I'm writing this because it dawned on me: I shift front and rear derailleurs with only my right hand. Using my left hand to shift the front derailleur is rarely necessary. I had the idea of posting this observation here since others might share their personal preferences to be either ambidextrous in their down tube shifting patterns.

I'm left handed by the way. Its just that after all these years my brain became hard wired to do all my shifting with my right hand.

My old habits are SO hardwired, that even with my sexy STI equipped bike, the first thing I do when I crest a hill and the terrain starts levelling out, it to feel around the downtube for a lever (that's not there of course) .
Old 05-16-07, 08:24 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
I'm also patterned to using my right hand on DT shifters, probably because front brake lever is on the left (edit, I remember doing ambidextrous shifting back in the day, not sure when the change took place)
Old 05-16-07, 08:31 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
I guess I am bi. Shift right with right, left with left, AFAIK, but will check next time I ride.
Old 05-16-07, 08:51 AM
cyqlist

Bikes: Mobiky, PBW, Jim Redcay, old Chicago Schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always with right hand only.
Old 05-16-07, 08:59 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I generally just use my right hand.
Old 05-16-07, 09:20 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hmmm. I don't know. I'll watch myself, next time out.
Old 05-16-07, 10:03 AM
McDave

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am ambidextrous, that's why my two favorite bikes have bar end shifters. But on the bikes that have downtube and stem shifters I generally use my right hand. And I write with my left hand. Yeah I know, I'm weird.
Old 05-16-07, 10:17 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
I generally shift each lever with the respective hand. However, my half-step and 1.5-step gearing patterns sometimes make it expedient to dump the chain from large to small chainring whilst upshifting by one or two rear cogs, and this is nicely done with a single motion of one hand moving both levers forward simultaneously.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-16-07, 10:38 AM
divineAndbright

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right hand on the right, left on left!
I rarely use my FD actually, usually only on those 4hour plus rides when the hills start getting to ya, other wise the chain pretty much stays on the big ring all the time (unless I've got an unusually big hill to climb of course).

cyqlist: whats going on with that set-up.. never saw such a thing? Whats that part in the middle behind the shifters?
Old 05-16-07, 10:40 AM
Wil Davis
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
One of the advantages of down-tube shifters is that either can be operated with either hand.

- Wil
Old 05-16-07, 11:03 AM
cyqlist

Bikes: Mobiky, PBW, Jim Redcay, old Chicago Schwinns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by divineAndbright
cyqlist: whats going on with that set-up.. never saw such a thing? Whats that part in the middle behind the shifters?
Sturmey Archer shifter. More pictures of that setup are in this other thread.

When using that arrangement I would normally shift two or three of the shifters at once, always with the right hand only.

But nowadays I am off derailleurs completely and only shift hub gears, one shifter to a bike (but still only with the right hand).
Old 05-16-07, 11:23 AM
USAZorro
Seńor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
I can go either way.
Old 05-16-07, 11:24 AM
sekaijin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Classic, 1984 Schwinn LeTour, 1998 Gary Fisher Marlin, 1969 Hercules, 1977 Sekai 5000 Superlite, 1993 Koga-Myata TerraLiner, 2013 Trek Farley.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right on right, left on left. It never occurred to me to do it any other way - maybe it should have!

I'm left-handed, but most of my shifting is RD shifting with the right hand.

Not only that, but my right hand is used to shifting "smart" since RD friction shifting seems to need subtle adjustments and trims. Left-hand FD shifting with my double setup is just a "dumb" lever-up, lever-down move.

Being left-handed, I'm accustomed to training my hands to use things the right-handed way.
Old 05-16-07, 11:34 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Shift both with right hand. Mainly because I'm left handed and much more confortable riding one-handed with the left hand on the bar. I typically even signal turns with my right hand only. Last time I was out for a ride with the club one rider thought I was English because of it.
Old 05-16-07, 11:39 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
i shift both with my right, on my commute I got so used to it.. or sometime I would shift up a cog in the front and back at the same time and I could use one hand to simultaneously twist the levers, or say I was hitting a grade and I want to drop to the small ring cause I am maxed out in the back but I don't want to spin out I can shift to a smaller cog in the back and smaller in the front by usuing one hand to twist the levers in opposite directions (that was my touring bike) which now has barcons and every once in a while I still reach for the downtube.
Old 05-16-07, 11:47 AM
vpiuva

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If I just need to shift the FD, I usually but not always use the left hand, but if I'm shifting both, I'll do both with the right hand.
Old 05-16-07, 11:53 AM
jmccain

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
But I'm writing this because it dawned on me: I shift front and rear derailleurs with only my right hand. Using my left hand to shift the front derailleur is rarely necessary. I had the idea of posting this observation here since others might share their personal preferences to be either ambidextrous in their down tube shifting patterns.
That's how I shift on my older road bike. As I shift the rear dérailleur, I use my right thumb to adjust the front dérailleur.
Old 05-16-07, 01:06 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,284 Times in 709 Posts
Wow, it never even occurred to me to use my right hand to shift the FD! I'm gonna have to try that.

(Obviously I use my right hand for RD & left hand for FD...but since I've only been using downtube shifters for a couple of weeks, I don't think I have to worry about "breaking habits".)
Old 05-16-07, 02:18 PM
m3smth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow, I'm the only one who uses only their left hand. I feel so out of place.
Old 05-16-07, 02:26 PM
clayface
Pedalpower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All possible combinations. Each hand with the corresponding side DT shifter, or right or left for both (rear is indexed).
Old 05-16-07, 03:05 PM
DonKristoph
Fo Cereal?!

Bikes: Guerciotti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More or less depends on my speed. If I'm clipping at anything faster than 15 mph, or if I'm on the bike path with a bunch of walkers, I'll only use my right, otherwise, I use both my left and right.
Old 05-16-07, 03:35 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by m3smth
To my mind you should shift with your left only. Just as you should grab your water bottle with your left. Something happens while doing either and you need to brake...your hand is on/near the rear brake lever. Yes I know the front brake is more effective, but I don't like doing headers. Been there, done that, had the scars to prove it. Only took 20 years for them to go away.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 05-16-07, 03:46 PM
amnomad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m3smth
I do FD with left, RD with right too. It really never occured to me to use my right on the FD. I'd like to switch all of my bikes to bar ends anyway, anybody have 30 extra pairs of barcons?
Old 05-16-07, 03:55 PM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ambitextrous,I use my left hand on the left mostly,though I'm right handed. At times I'll cross-over a hand approaching a turn using whichever hand is better suited to holding the bar at the time. First time I've thought of it in awhile.
Old 05-16-07, 04:34 PM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I shift with my right hand, fingers for the rear, thumb for the front.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.