Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-12, 08:55 PM
Cb8s

Bikes: Specialized robaix, crosstrail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been riding bikes my entire life but at 46 i bought an electra townie and loved it I rode around tulsa oklahoma and felt good. Then i moved back to the phoenix area. Arizona. And i bought a specilized crosstrail. I loved riding in the desert but found that i soon replaced my 700c knobbies with street tires. A nice company bonus sent me down to the bike shop where i picked up a specialized roubaix elite. Now i am hooked. I did my first century ride. The tour de tucson 111 ( yes i am taking that extra 11)miles this year and i am suprised to see that asterik behind my name for 50 plus! I feel younger and in the best shape in years maybe ever! I have several rides this year ending in a 470 mile trek for charity with my company.

I still have my townie although its just for rides to the pool or to the mailbox. The crosstrail got a surly karate monkey fork and its my hauling groceries bike. Just talking about this makes me want to go grab my roubaix and crank out some miles. But i am on a business trip without my bike. 50 plus? I am just getting started!
Old 02-22-12, 03:29 PM
jim121256

Bikes: Since the van encounter, I ride a 2013 Trek Domane 4.5, but a piece of my heart will always belong to the 1994 Specialized Epic that started me off in road bikes. It's relegated to an indoor trainer now, and I also have a Spinning brand indoor cycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? I ride a Specialized Epic road bike (ca. 1994). I've upgraded/modernized as things have worn out and/or as I've found good deals.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? Glucosamine, Omega 3, multivitamins, and the occasional protein shake.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? I'm faster now than I've ever been, but I think that's probably due to lifestyle and training more than any immortality on my part.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? I rode a lot as a kid, then quit until I was 35 or so. Started back for about 5 years, then riding fell by the wayside again. I'm now 55, I've been riding for the last 6 or 7 years, and don't intend to ever stop again.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. Most of my rides fall into the 18 - 30 mile range. During the summer and on weekends I try to do longer rides if I have the time.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? It's really up and down because of my work. It ranges from just a few rides a month to pretty much every day during other times of the year. Annual mileage is probably 2000 - 3000 miles per year.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply?? 55
Old 02-22-12, 03:51 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,644 Times in 950 Posts
Didn't notice this thread before.

Please tell us your age.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

Trek FX 7.1 hybrid. That's all but thinking about getting a mountain bike.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Multivitamin, glucosamine. Not sure the glucosamine helps but it don't hurt either.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

Not as much free time so not as many miles. Main problem is due to back problems. When that flairs (flares?) up I slow down a lot.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

Rode around Phoenix a lot as a kid. Later the bicycle just made more sense to me than a car until I moved out of my parents house. Even then I commuted by bicycle more than by car. I reserved the car for the 'heavy' lifting or longer distances.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

Commuting to work mostly 10 mi round trip. Some rides on weekends. Usually 20 mi or less.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

Commuting alone should be around 2500 mi. Maybe another 300-400 mi on weekends.
Old 02-22-12, 05:55 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome pal, glad you are here. Post often with pictures if you have them!

Last edited by Burr; 02-22-12 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-27-12, 02:58 AM
Cb8s

Bikes: Specialized robaix, crosstrail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

50 miles on the weekend
Old 02-27-12, 03:19 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice looking bike and a nice looking place to ride.
Hope you have your cell phone with you, it looks like a long way to anywhere!
Old 02-27-12, 03:21 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bill, you a JarHead?
Old 02-27-12, 06:46 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Yep, I drank the cool aid. Been out due to a medical discharge since 1977. Avionics Tech. How bout you Burr? Semper Fi !

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 03-19-12 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-27-12, 07:16 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was an Airman! AF

My son was FAST Company (USMC) then State Department

www.fastcompanymarines.com/

Last edited by Burr; 02-27-12 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-27-12, 07:18 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Good to see you here Burr. You served and your son did too, thanks to both of you! Keep on riding!

Old 03-04-12, 08:09 PM
SoapPeddler

Bikes: 1993 Trek 1000, early 90"s Trek 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 52

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? I was a bicycling enthusiast in the mid 90's and still have my bikes from back then. My Trek 1000 has about 4500 miles on it. The only upgrades have been new wheels with Phil Wood hubs and Mavic rims and a Phil Wood BB. My other bike is a second hand Trek 7000 mountain bike that I bough to use as a knock around or errand bike. When I decided to get back into bicycling I took a long look at both bicycles and decided that I did not need new bikes, but the old ones do need some TLC.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? Not many. I take a multi vitamin and fish oil.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Lots. When I was riding 15 years ago I was one of the faster riders in the club. After taking a couple of experimental rides last summer and one during a warm spell last week, I could tell that hill climbing is going to be a challenge for me. Having said that, I am looking forward to making bicycling a regular part of my life again. It can only get better.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? I rode as a kid like most everyone else. During college I rode to get around and took the occasional recreational ride. In the mid 90's when I was in my mid 30's I rode 2000 - 2500 miles per year, all on the road. Basic bike repairs are not a problem for me.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. Historically I have done all of my riding on the road and most of my rides in the future will also be road rides, but I do plan to do some trail riding. We have some great trails in this part of Michigan. When I was riding in the past I focused on longer rides. Either training for them or actually doing them.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? I guess I'll have to get back to that because I my journey to get re-addicted to bicycling is just starting. I currently do other forms of cario 4-6 times per week. As the weather warms up and I make upgrades / repairs to my equipment I plan to do most of my cardio work on a bike.
Old 03-04-12, 08:34 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome, glad you all are here.

I notice all those old guy came out to say hi. I'm still a kid and I am very young at heart.
I don't even know how a 70 year old should feel!!!
Old 03-04-12, 10:02 PM
k7baixo

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please tell us your age: Not yet 55 but getting closer

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Any damn one I want but my top choice is a Bacchetta CA 2

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? B-12 shots

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Since getting the recumbent, I've gotten faster.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? Third foray into cycling.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. Long distance riding - centuries, brevets, etc.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? Typically 3 times a week, around 100 miles max. Weekends may bring a century or a brevet. Annual mileage? Dunno - this could be a pretty good year. Last year was around 3800. I could see 5,000 this year.
Old 03-18-12, 06:30 PM
psychlyst
I eat paste...

Bikes: '03 Serotta C III road,Cannondale R600 road,Gary Fisher Tassajara mtb,Specialized FSR XC Pro mtb,Trek 720 commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age: 52 coming up in May

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? 2 road bikes,mtn. bike,urban bike and a commuter bike

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? daily Multi as well as Glucosame/Condroitin supp,Calcium supp,fish oil supp

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? not much

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? rode as a kid til late teens...started smoking late teens and gave up exercise for along time...at 40 I weighed 240 and smoked 2 packs a day for 20+ yrs.-said enuff and quit cold turkey...bought a hybrid and haven't looked back!

5. What type of biking do you do? everything from short rides to the store to century+ on the road and multi hr. mtn. bike epics

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? I ride when I can,wherever I can!
Old 03-19-12, 07:25 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
psychlyst,

Good to see you. Just keep cycling.
Old 03-21-12, 02:25 PM
Happy49

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a newbie

I am 63 and have discovered bicycles again. I rode some 15-20 years ago(who's counting?) I have rescued a 1974 Raleigh Sports and fallen in love. Take some meds plus fish oil, l-methofolate (folic acid), milkthistle. Have RA and just started Humira. Guess if I'm going to play I'd better get with it. I am just a recreational rider and usually take my bike to the waterfront where there is a nice (flat) trail. This forum is very encouraging to me and I'm actually thinking about challenging myself with more serious riding. Oops, didn't mean to say serious, this is all fun. BTW how do you make these little face things work?
Old 03-22-12, 05:55 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Happy49,
Welcome to 50+ and Bike Forums, hope you stick around our hovel. There should be a link labeled "Go Advanced" on the lower right corner of the Quick Reply box you used to respond. Click this and you get a new reply box with more actions to take, including the smilie faces.

Bill

Old 03-24-12, 10:31 AM
sparrish

Bikes: Novara Verita, Trek 4500 MTB, 72 Bianchi Rekord, 1987? Ciocc, 2010 Merckx LXM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Road - Merckx Team SC, Neighborhood trips - REI bike, Verita, Mountain - Trek 4500

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

No.

It takes a bit longer to heal from injury or illness, and I am not as speedy as when I was in my 20's, but I can go longer distances now.

Biked to get around the neighborhood as a kid, 2nd year biking for fitness.

Trained for a Sprint Tri last year, will train for another this year.

15-30 miles per ride, 3-4 rides per week, about 30 weeks (tough to ride when it is not Daylight Savings with my schedule). Annual mileage last year = about 1800 miles. I am a 52-year-old Clydesdale.
Old 03-24-12, 04:47 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spar,
Welcome, glad you are here.
How old are you, and where do you live?
Just wondering
Old 03-25-12, 07:40 AM
sparrish

Bikes: Novara Verita, Trek 4500 MTB, 72 Bianchi Rekord, 1987? Ciocc, 2010 Merckx LXM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Burr
Spar,
Welcome, glad you are here.
How old are you, and where do you live?
Just wondering
I am 52, and live in the Raleigh, NC area.
Old 03-26-12, 02:13 PM
ctg492

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First I have not accepted I am 51 yet, so to see this 50+ group.....

Trek, I did not know I was to ride anything special after 50.

More then I care to admitt.

None, only getting better.

Seriously 12 years.

Commuting to stores/market/fun/no since going out if less then 20 miles.

Daily weather permitting in MI. Tried winter biking, but snow, me and bikes do not mix. I do not put the bikes away in winter though, because you just never know when the sun will shine. 3,200 miles last year. Rolling to 3,600 goal this year.
Old 03-26-12, 04:51 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Kid, and what's wrong with being 51???

Please fill in your profile when you have time so we "know" about you.

Please post often and try to put up with us!
Old 03-28-12, 11:24 AM
EriktheFish
Silly Party Member

Bikes: Rans Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Age? 51

1. What type of bikes do you ride?
Recumbent. My go to and long distance touring bike is a Rans Stratus XP. I own other recumbents, but am done with riding Diamond Frame bikes. Not worth the hand, wrist, neck, butt pain.

Nothing new, still taking the same multi/calcium/omega 3 vitamins I've been taking for years, although I've switched to chewables since I hate swallow pills and they now offer a great selection of chewables.

Actually feel I'm speeding up. I started running last year and ran a couple of 1/2 marathons and my first marathon. Am going to run my second marathon this summer. Wish I'd taken up running years ago. I remember in high school (class of '78) that the emphasis was always on who was fastest. Kinda ruined it for me as I wasn't very fast. I rode across the U.S. 2 summers ago with my wife and son and it was great.

Biked all my life. A bike was my freedom machine in my teens, allowing me to ride many miles away from home. I've continued ever since and have always loved touring.

Commuting, long weekend rides, short and long distance touring.

Daily when possible. I grew up in SoCal and rode all the time. Now I'm in New England and hate the fact I can't ride much in winter. I do ski and run as much as possible in the winter.
Old 03-28-12, 01:57 PM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Been here since May 2009 but just saw this sticky.....

Please tell us your age. 55

14" Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB
17" Redline Monocog 29er MTB
18" Serrota T-Max Commuter MTB
17" Klein Rascal SS MTB
52cm Salsa Campion aluminum/105 Road bike
52cm Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike
53cm/50cm Santana Arriva Road Tandem

Ginseng (Red Panex and American), Ginko, Omega 3, B complex, multivitamins.

Quite a bit, but I was doing 12-15k/year now I do 6-7k (but I can still stay with most 30+ year olds that I ride with), and I still enjoy doing fast trail rides (no hills where I live now), and doing college and urban assault rides (riding up and down staircases, hopping on/off landscaping/planters, etc.).

"BMX" since long before there was BMX (back to '65-66), Road biking since '68, mountain biking since early '80s.

Lots of 20+ mile rec rides (often on my FG), Lots of 20-30 mile urban wandering, 60-80 mile weekend road rides (when I can), daily commuting (12-15 miles), offroad trail rides, college and urban assault rides. I'm up for just about anything.

Every day pretty much. ........ Lately: 4-6k/year
Old 03-28-12, 04:04 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
WELCOME ALL. I enjoy reading the diversity of riding experiences, numerous different levels and types of bicycling.

Thanks for posting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.