Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Michigan Clydes, where should we ride? Athenas welcome, but Athena didn't rhyme...

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Michigan Clydes, where should we ride? Athenas welcome, but Athena didn't rhyme...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 05:02 PM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Alright Michigan Clydes,

There are enough of us on here, when and where should we ride, can't let those PA clydes have all the fun. Kal-Haven trail is near me and has facilities along the trail, or there is good rural road riding out my way albiet a bit flat at times, we could find a hill if we try. Perhaps there is something centerally located in the state?

Ok, throw in your 2 bits

Last edited by BigPolishJimmy; 06-14-10 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Adding flavor to the mix
Old 06-14-10, 05:22 PM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm going to be in Michigan (Niles) this Monday. I'll have a bike with me.
Old 06-14-10, 09:54 PM
ziggydcat
Plays well with others

Bikes: Specialized CRUX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the southeast side of the state and a former Yooper to boot. We have a great multi purpose/rail trail that runs from Rochester to Richmond, Stoney Creek Metro Park, Heinz Park and several others. If anyone is heading to the U.P. let me know. Many great rides up there.
Old 06-15-10, 01:43 AM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If there's enough lead time, and it's flat enough - don't forgot, some of us in Ohio may come and join you~!
Old 06-15-10, 05:23 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Where should Michigan Clydes ride? SE Pa, of course.

Old 06-15-10, 06:00 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
I'm a Hoosier Clyde who has been planning on a KalHaven overnighter, ride it from Kalamazoo to the Lake, camp out a night or 2 and ride back. It got delayed because of heart issues, though. Once I'm cleared, I'm gonna do it on my fixed gear, unsupported. Sound interesting to anyone else?

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 06-15-10, 06:32 AM
MIH-Dave

Bikes: 2010 Giant Defy 2, 2001 Schwinn Sierra GS, 1989 Raliegh Technium 420

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love Hines DR! That's where I do the majority of my riding. The Metro Parks have some nice bike paths too. I'm in the Dearborn area.
Old 06-15-10, 07:00 AM
ziggydcat
Plays well with others

Bikes: Specialized CRUX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MIH-Dave
I love Hines DR! That's where I do the majority of my riding. The Metro Parks have some nice bike paths too. I'm in the Dearborn area.
Hey Dave, I used to live in Redford and would take Hines Dr end to end. Such a great place to ride when it's not flooded. Im in Washington now.
Old 06-15-10, 08:34 AM
petflunky
Senior? Member

Bikes: GMC Topkick mountain bike, Schwinn World Traveler, GMC Denali road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually ride the Lakelands Trail. Paved is only about 8 miles, the the total usable length is about 20. It can be ridden from Stockbridge to Hamburg.
Another trail is the Falling Waters Trail, from Jackson to Concorde. It also hooks up with a trail in Jackson itself, adding another 3-4 miles to it.
Finally, another nice trail is at Island Lake State Park, in Brighton. It has a 4 mile trail, that connects to Kensington Metroparks trail, which is about 8 miles, and also connects with the trail that takes you into South Lyon.
Old 06-15-10, 08:36 AM
petflunky
Senior? Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a Hoosier Clyde who has been planning on a KalHaven overnighter, ride it from Kalamazoo to the Lake, camp out a night or 2 and ride back. It got delayed because of heart issues, though. Once I'm cleared, I'm gonna do it on my fixed gear, unsupported. Sound interesting to anyone else?

This sounds like fun! I'd need 3 weeks or so notice, so I can clear the days off with work/wife. Heck, maybe I'll take the wife with me. Let me know dates, and I will see what I can do.
Old 06-15-10, 10:34 AM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
David - looks like we should ride on Monday as I am located just about an hour drive northeast of Niles. I usually ride with the local club on Monday nights, which we could do, or I can show you some of the areas around here that I like to ride. Or I can come down to Niles if you have some good riding down there.

Peter - Of course you are invited, in fact it was your message on youtube that prompted me to post this. As far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier.

Tom - I still want to do a camping trip on the Kal-Haven, let us know when you're ready.

MattyV ? HuskyRider? what are your thoughts?
Old 06-15-10, 10:46 AM
callmeclemens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
That sounds great.
Old 06-15-10, 11:29 AM
TomT74

Bikes: 2010 Windsor Tourist, 2004 Custom SWB Recumbent, Unicycle, and a pile of pieces

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for Hines Drive. I live right in the middle of the run (Livonia) from Dearborn to Novi and ride it almost every week. The little hill around 6 Mile Rd. heading to Novi is one of my fitness gauges. I'm not a Clyde, but I'd gladly ride with ya. maybe my 35#tourer will make up some of the mass I lack 8-).
Old 06-15-10, 12:32 PM
MIH-Dave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ziggydcat
Hey Dave, I used to live in Redford and would take Hines Dr end to end. Such a great place to ride when it's not flooded. Im in Washington now.
Yea, it was flooded weekend before last and I joked that it'd more like a triathlon than a bike ride. I usually ride from my home to Andiamos in Dearborn and follow a MUP to the beginning and ride to Northville Downs and back. Round trip about 60 miles.

My first century (last September) started and ended in Hines. On the way back to the finish it was nice to be in familiar territory and know how much further it was.
Old 06-15-10, 12:43 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Hi, MIH-Dave and all!

I'm not officially a Clyde (180 lb), but neither am I a snake, and I do have a BMI challenge. I live in Ann Arbor, but would like to meet up with some other MIBFRs (Michigan Bike Forum-ers). I could help with some really nice Ann Arbor-area routes, but I'd really like to see what's beyond my back yard.

I'm also planning to go on the Shoreline MUP tour this July. 5 days ride/1 day off, 65 miles / day, about 325 miles total. The basics of the route are St. Ignace - DeTour - Soo - Paradise - Newberry - St. Ignace. It's said to be on paved roads - I'm a little skeptical, but I am going to ride it on Pasela Tourguards.
Old 06-15-10, 12:44 PM
MIH-Dave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TomT74
+1 for Hines Drive. I live right in the middle of the run (Livonia) from Dearborn to Novi and ride it almost every week. The little hill around 6 Mile Rd. heading to Novi is one of my fitness gauges. I'm not a Clyde, but I'd gladly ride with ya. maybe my 35#tourer will make up some of the mass I lack 8-).
I hate that hill with a passion. I've only made it once without stopping, but that's so close to my turn around point and I'm tired at that point (excuses, excuses).
Old 06-15-10, 01:24 PM
TomT74

Bikes: 2010 Windsor Tourist, 2004 Custom SWB Recumbent, Unicycle, and a pile of pieces

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MIH-Dave
I hate that hill with a passion. I've only made it once without stopping, but that's so close to my turn around point and I'm tired at that point (excuses, excuses).
When I got back into riding, I stalled out several times on that hill in a 24/32 gear on a Novara hybrid with a MTB crank. My proudest day was making it up the first time on a 34# recumbent in the same gear. I still need the granny for it on my current DF (Windsor Tourist) but it's easier now. On my usual route, it's about 11 miles into the ride. If I'm feeling particularly puckish, I'll go do the run from Hines to Beck and back on 5 Mile, then take the Hines hill. That hurts.

+1 on the MUP from Hines to Andiamo's. I love that little stretch over the bridges and in the woods.
Old 06-15-10, 01:39 PM
MIH-Dave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TomT74
...+1 on the MUP from Hines to Andiamo's. I love that little stretch over the bridges and in the woods.
Almost hit a deer once on that stretch, but it is a nice path. It's really nice on the way home because it's always cooler that the rest of the ride.
Old 06-15-10, 03:09 PM
BigPolishJimmy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What do you east-siders think of the Falling Waters Trail? It looks like it might be a good mid-point for both east & west to come together and ride. Park map says aprox 10-miles, out-and-back would make it about 20. I've never been but it sounds nice. How do you like the ride out there Petflunky?

Also, I suppose I should say, this is not going to be an organized/supported ride, but just a bunch of folks getting together to put faces to screen-names. Unless of course someone else here has experience and an interest in putting together an organized ride.
Old 06-15-10, 05:47 PM
rjc100

Bikes: Lemond Croix DeFer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=BigPolishJimmy;10967453]What do you east-siders think of the Falling Waters Trail? It looks like it might be a good mid-point for both east & west to come together and ride. Park map says aprox 10-miles, out-and-back would make it about 20. I've never been but it sounds nice. How do you like the ride out there Petflunky?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live in Jackson, and use the trail a lot for begininng rides, mostly do a few miles as warm up and then move on to the main roads to go north and south as well.

I have ridden the trail 10.4 miles out and back and it is very flat and smooth. As with many other multi use trails, you have to watch for many walkers, skaters and dog walkers. This trail is one of the best thing ever to happen to the area.
Old 06-16-10, 07:04 AM
petflunky
Senior? Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are riding from Jackson into Concord, you will probably be riding into the wind the whole way, so it may be slow going for you. On the way back though, it will be much quicker. Also, it's very flat and straight, so it's a nice ride.
Old 06-16-10, 09:27 AM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm easy~! Just let me know when and where (I do vote for flat, or mostly flat - hills and I hate each other)??

Hopefully on a Saturday (so I can talk Mr DanW to join us, perhaps Chipcom too??) - a week or so lead time so people can clear time for it might be a good idea as well?
Old 06-16-10, 11:45 AM
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever you do, don't come to the UP to ride. Our roads are terrible. All four lane highways. With no scenery! Nothing but strip malls. And don't get me started on how awful our mountain bike trails are. I mean, if we had any mountain bike trails....
Old 06-16-10, 01:10 PM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Askel
Whatever you do, don't come to the UP to ride. Our roads are terrible. All four lane highways. With no scenery! Nothing but strip malls. And don't get me started on how awful our mountain bike trails are. I mean, if we had any mountain bike trails....
Ha! My mother lives in "da UP". I'm gonna have to make a point to go up there sometime.
Old 06-16-10, 06:28 PM
pcmike
Jer. 29:11

Bikes: Gary Fisher Superfly, Bianchi Axis, Trek Madone 5.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out bikefitness.net

Bikefitness.net is devoted to Michigan bike riding... we do training rides each Saturday and post details on the site... we move around a lot so check it out and join us... I'm a clyde and we have a great group....
Follow me on Twitter @michiganbiking and @michigandermike
Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher Superfly, '08 Trek Madone 5.5, '05 Bianchi Axis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.