Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Silca Impero frame pump: are my expectations too high or am I missing something?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Silca Impero frame pump: are my expectations too high or am I missing something?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-12, 01:46 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

I recently gotten my hands on a silca impero frame pump that was fitted onto my latest 2 - wheeled vintage acquisition. It would happen to be a first for me, appearantly these were popular when I was only a child, and it was in a state of neglect. But having dealt with its floor driven counterparts of like and even older vintage, I took it apart entirely and was impressed by the simplicity; and followed to inspect and clean it out. It was in surprisingly good condition and I only ended up having to grease the leather plunger which showed no signs of rot. However the impressiveness quickly regressed to disappointment upon trying it out, it took a ridiculous amount of work to inflate a tire to an acceptable PSI with a seemingly very inefficient pump. To make matter worse, the lack of a adjustable hose for the head made the pumping action awkward to add insult to injury. It pales greatly in comparison to my modern portable pump.

Were my expectations too high considering this is seemingly the grandfather of all portable pumps? Did I overlook anything in the process of refurbishing it?
Old 04-28-12, 03:04 AM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
frame pumps have always been a substitute for a good quality pump.

I have 2 of these Austrian/German pumps.
theye are the best frame pump I have ever had or seen.

the good
the handle flips to become a T handle
a proper fold out foot, and 2 dedicated hoses fore each particular valve.

the bad- its steel- ok its heavy, mine are 20 years old.

https://www.ebay.at/itm/Luftpumpe-bau...item33750fa08e
Old 04-28-12, 01:19 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Which head is on the pump? The plastic Silca head is unimpressive, the Campy plastic head no better, but the steel Campy head is the shiz. Regardless of which head you have, check the rubber gaskets inside for wear and replace as needed. Parts are still available for these pumps!

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 04-28-12 at 01:23 PM.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 04-28-12, 03:51 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

It's the steel campy one, it has some surface rust through from weathering, and I ended up having to mar the knurling on the campy cap a tiny bit because it was seized to find a rubber campy gasket inside. The gasket/ pump looks relatively unused, however, there is some minor hairline cracking on the rubber gasket from age/ drying out, however the gasket is still solid and sound otherwise; the rubber gasket that's inside the head that is, not the one where the head meets pump body.
Should I replace it?

As for the seal it creates with a presta valve, I'm not exactly sure if the pump is establishing a good seal or not with the valve. I still trying to figure out whether the rubber of the gasket is not supple enough or the valve head being stationary and situated on the main body of the pump itself that's impeding my use of the pump.

On another related note to address my curiosity with these pumps and the frame it came with, I noticed that the pump utilized a mounting system involving the tension of the spring in the plunger handle from it being slightly recessed to wedge itself inside the triangle of the frame where there is a steel knub/ point to meet/ "lock up" with a recessed region on the pump handle. Were the addition of these "knubs" added on later or were they standard on certain frames?
Old 04-28-12, 04:08 PM
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Where most frame pumps made today rely on 'dual action'; air pressure being created on both the compression and the return stroke, the Impero is a single action pump... only on the compression stroke.
It took a long time to reach higher pressures with the Impero, and the only way to increase the pressure stroke was to buy a longer pump, depending on where you wanted to fit it inside your frame.

before pump stop bumps were put on frame sets, steel pegs were either brazed on or clamped on to frame sets to hold pumps.

Alan
Old 04-28-12, 04:21 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
It's the steel campy one, it has some surface rust through from weathering, and I ended up having to mar the knurling on the campy cap a tiny bit because it was seized to find a rubber campy gasket inside. The gasket/ pump looks relatively unused, however, there is some minor hairline cracking on the rubber gasket from age/ drying out, however the gasket is still solid and sound otherwise; the rubber gasket that's inside the head that is, not the one where the head meets pump body.
Should I replace it?

As for the seal it creates with a presta valve, I'm not exactly sure if the pump is establishing a good seal or not with the valve. I still trying to figure out whether the rubber of the gasket is not supple enough or the valve head being stationary and situated on the main body of the pump itself that's impeding my use of the pump.

On another related note to address my curiosity with these pumps and the frame it came with, I noticed that the pump utilized a mounting system involving the tension of the spring in the plunger handle from it being slightly recessed to wedge itself inside the triangle of the frame where there is a steel knub/ point to meet/ "lock up" with a recessed region on the pump handle. Were the addition of these "knubs" added on later or were they standard on certain frames?
The age of the rubber ring inside the Campagnolo pump head will make a bit of difference.
Almost all of the original leather plungers will be dead by now, if you can actuate the pump with the head connected to a CLOSED presta valve, something is leaking. That will generally expose the leak.
Biggest error I have found when watching someone using one is that they push the head on too far and the pump handle / plunger explodes out the end of the pump.
The way I was taught was to have the valve at high noon. Grip three of 4 fingers around the barrel and thumb over the tire and the remaining around the rim to stabilize the connection. Easiest done with the wheel off the bike too.

The Frame fit pumps when sized correctly did not need a locating nib when run on the seat tube.
The earlier pumps required a pump holder, Umbrella style or point.
A few builders came up with the idea of brazing a nib under the seat tube to locate the early style handle, very cool.

In the 80's when double water bottle mounts became the standard, a nib behind the head tube for running the frame fit pump under the top tube was common.
Old 04-28-12, 04:32 PM
svt4cam
On a mission from God

Bikes: 6? Favorit (under construction), 82 Bianchi Nuovo Racer, 76 Alan, 8? Raleigh Fixie, 75 Atala, 94 Cannondale 2.8, 75 Paramount P13, 94 Cannondale RT1000 tandem, 76 Masi Gran Criterium, 81 Motobecane Grand Touring, 77 Mondia Super, 12 Specialized Crux

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also bending at the waist and having the wheel against a tree, utility pole etc allows you to get more leverage to pump that puppy up.
Old 04-28-12, 04:55 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I have two and they work great with either head. The gaskets make the difference. I have found that opening the presta and giving it one touch to unseat helps prior to pumping. Yes gettting to 110PSI is a chore but it is achievable, more so than other non floor pumps. Plus it is very light!
I have seen comments about how easy they are to break but I think it is in the technique.
Old 04-28-12, 05:09 PM
busdriver1959

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Not sure what technique you use. I wrap my fingers around the pump and hook my thumb over the tire. This kind of stabilizes everything and I feel that I can get more pressure in the tire. I just realized I'm putting everything in present tense. I haven't used one in a few years. They worked well back then though, except when I would manage to depress the valve head with the pump head by squeezing too hard. It would instantly send 100 PSI into the pump and shoot half of the pump across the room. Funny when I look back at it. I think that would qualify as as a technique that leads to breakage.
Old 04-28-12, 05:26 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've found them to work reasonably well, but they do require considerable effort to reach high pressures. Compared to later pumps such as the Zefal HP, the Silca pumps have a relatively large diameter. Makes for fewer pumps, but more force to achieve a given pressure. As long as the gaskets aren't leaking you should be fine.
Old 04-28-12, 06:34 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
You're not missing anything. They're not so great. Ok in a pinch, but only in a pinch.
Old 04-28-12, 06:37 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
The Zefal HP-X is indeed a vastly superior pump, but I do like the look and period correctness of the Silca.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-28-12, 08:35 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by busdriver1959
Not sure what technique you use. I wrap my fingers around the pump and hook my thumb over the tire.
I've always done that too. It does take some effort, but they'll pump a tire as high as they need to be. Used mine today when I got a flat on the ride, all I've ever used.
Old 04-28-12, 09:03 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Personally, I think all mini pumps are horrid. I use a nice floor pump before every ride. If I get a flat (knocks on wood), I use CO2. Fills a tire in under 5 seconds. Can't imagine using anything else.
Old 04-28-12, 09:06 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Thanks for all the replies guys! This thread is just chuck full of knowledge for this pump; believe me, I've learned so much. As for the pump itself, I'll give it a shot and get around to replacing the valve gasket.
Now, is this a part a legitimate LBS will typically carry due to the rarity or I'll have to order online? As my best chance at getting one locally just recently moved to PDX and the remaining LBS's are a bit too oriented toward the modern/ showroom type.
Old 03-26-19, 09:20 AM
83cannondale

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 83 Cannondale, 70s Raleigh International, 70s Bob Jackson, 70s Gitane tandem, 2018 Trek Domane SL7, Giant Yukon MTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Used one in the 70s almost every day

Thanks for all the replies guys! This thread is just chuck full of knowledge for this pump; believe me, I've learned so much. As for the pump itself, I'll give it a shot and get around to replacing the valve gasket.
Now, is this a part a legitimate LBS will typically carry due to the rarity or I'll have to order online? As my best chance at getting one locally just recently moved to PDX and the remaining LBS's are a bit too oriented toward the modern/ showroom type.
In college this was my go to pump for sew ups which we ran at about 100-120psi. Used every ride because we deflated the tire after every ride! I used it for a couple of seasons that way. It was a chore, was glad to finally buy a floor pump, but, on the road should be just fine. Campy head, good rubber/leather assumed.
Old thread I know -
Old 03-26-19, 01:50 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Zefal made the best frame pumps. The HPx being the best.
Put a Silca next to the Zefal and the Silca looks and feels cheap and crude in comparison. Even Zefal's lower models were better constructed.....
I got turned of really quick from the Silca pumps when back in the 80's I used to see bins of the Silcas in the LBS's I visited and at least a quarter of them already breaking apart in their plastic bags even before they were sold.
Not something you would want to happen on the side of the road when you are trying to fix a flat.
Old 03-26-19, 02:17 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Zefal made the best frame pumps. The HPx being the best.
Put a Silca next to the Zefal and the Silca looks and feels cheap and crude in comparison. Even Zefal's lower models were better constructed.....
I got turned of really quick from the Silca pumps when back in the 80's I used to see bins of the Silcas in the LBS's I visited and at least a quarter of them already breaking apart in their plastic bags even before they were sold.
Not something you would want to happen on the side of the road when you are trying to fix a flat.
i loved my zefal until someone stole it. Currently using a park pmp-5. Works when on the road.
Old 03-26-19, 02:34 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 383 Posts
I've only used Silcas since the early 80s. To inflate, I remove the wheel, hold the wheel off the ground with the valve, chest high, at the 12 o'clock position and I pump it this way. Usually there is a good enough seal and I don't have to keep my thumb over the tire to hold the head on the valve. If I get tired, I will put the pump head against a pole or tree and use my body weight to help inflate. It takes about 60 strokes to reach 90 psi on my pumps.

Now, since I had an old Silca split in two on me, I have a Zefal on my long distance bike.
Old 03-26-19, 02:43 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Silca looks cool, and the pump itself is very light.

It's hard to find an old one that works well, the plastic tends to crack around the threaded end.
Old 03-26-19, 03:11 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
My Zefal has become unstuck to the frame on several occasions (even with a velcro security strap) and jammed between the crank and frame, so I dug out the old original Silca. The Campy metal head has a "u" shaped fitting that more securely locates the bottom (nozzle) of the pump to the frame, using the Campy "umbrella " stop on top. I tried it out the other day on a flat repair at home. It does still sorta work, not bad for 55 years old. I had a matching blue one to my Legnano's paint, but left the original laying on the road after changing a flat during a Rose Bowl race back in the 60s. This is a generic silver replacement. I carry it mostly for nostalgia value, and mostly relay on non-vintage CO2.

Silca and Zefal side by side.

Battle damaged Zefal from crank, and Campy head Silca (rubber frame protectors long gone).

Some day I need to match up the paint color.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 03-26-19 at 03:15 PM.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 03-26-19, 03:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
The Zefal pumps worked great. The Silca pumps looked cool. I eventually went back to Zefal after some bad luck with Silca pumps.

I generally ride 32mm tires, so I only have to inflate every month or so. Yesterday was the day. I inflated from 30 psi to 60 psi. (I weigh 170 lbs.)

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-26-19, 03:39 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
My Campy steel pump head was purchased new from Western Tire & Auto for $0.50 in 1964. The original gasket works. The Silca pumps do not age so well. All of mine are working at least somewhat at the moment. They are not so predictable as when new, or when only 20 years old. The nice ones with a square top that go under an umbrella clip are the weakest. Plastic gets old.
Old 03-26-19, 03:50 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
As for the pump itself, I'll give it a shot and get around to replacing the valve gasket.
You might find one locally but the best bet is to use a new style Silca gasket, model #323. The description doesn't mention it fitting the Campy head but it will work; it's a bit smaller diameter than the one for the Campy head but just center it in the opening and tighten things down. The material of these newer gaskets is superior to the old ones IMO.
Old 03-26-19, 03:56 PM
retrofit

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
The age of the rubber ring inside the Campagnolo pump head will make a bit of difference.
Almost all of the original leather plungers will be dead by now, if you can actuate the pump with the head connected to a CLOSED presta valve, something is leaking. That will generally expose the leak.
Biggest error I have found when watching someone using one is that they push the head on too far and the pump handle / plunger explodes out the end of the pump.
The way I was taught was to have the valve at high noon. Grip three of 4 fingers around the barrel and thumb over the tire and the remaining around the rim to stabilize the connection. Easiest done with the wheel off the bike too.

The Frame fit pumps when sized correctly did not need a locating nib when run on the seat tube.
The earlier pumps required a pump holder, Umbrella style or point.
A few builders came up with the idea of brazing a nib under the seat tube to locate the early style handle, very cool.

In the 80's when double water bottle mounts became the standard, a nib behind the head tube for running the frame fit pump under the top tube was common.
Been there, done that! Still have the parts if anyone is interested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.