Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tandem Trike revisited.

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Tandem Trike revisited.

Old 03-12-14, 02:18 AM
GreenmanBelg

Bikes: 1957 Higgins Ultralight Trike,1963 Higgins Roadster Trike,2 Longstaff solo trikes, 1 Longstaff Tandem Trike. I'm a trike only man.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Tandem Trike revisited.

Hi folks,
I'm a trike rider and have been for many years.

I also own a George Longstaff tandem trike, now that the kiddies are getting older I decided to take the dust sheet off.

Went for a little spin with my daughter and son.

The plan for this year is daughter 6 and petite up front and son nearly 10 stoker.

I ordered crank shorteners from St John Street Cycles in the UK.

So this time next week we shall be up and mobile and I can intice the kiddies away from multimedia for a few hours

I enclose a pic so you get the idea.

Regards from JD in Belgium.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
13100288163_492484f9c4_n.jpg (42.7 KB, 118 views)
Old 03-21-14, 10:11 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Belg:
Tandem trikes are a bit of a rarity here in the US; but have seen a couple recumbent trikes.
Where are you located in Belgium? Vlaanderen area?
Pedal on!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 03-22-14, 01:26 PM
Pic

Bikes: Road, Hybrid, Tandem, Mountain, Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've often thought if I were to lose my balance, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a tandem trike.
Old 03-24-14, 08:38 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 514 Posts
Originally Posted by Pic
I've often thought if I were to lose my balance, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a tandem trike.
I think you actually need more balance to ride a trike like that. The newer trike designs with the riders down very low are the ones you can use if your balance sense goes away. Let's both hope that never happens, however. <shudder>.

H
Old 03-24-14, 08:48 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I think you actually need more balance to ride a trike like that.
3 wheeled vehicles, particularly with one front wheel are inherently tippy. At low speeds, the intial stability of an upright trike is great. It won't tip over at all at 5mph, unlike a bicycle.

Cornering at 25mph downhill is a different story.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-24-14, 08:56 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 514 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
3 wheeled vehicles, particularly with one front wheel are inherently tippy. At low speeds, the intial stability of an upright trike is great. It won't tip over at all at 5mph, unlike a bicycle.

Cornering at 25mph downhill is a different story.
I don't think you meant your first sentence to sound the way it does. And your post in its entirety actually makes my point. Cornering at any speed above a walking pace is more interesting on an upright trike design. You need more balance sense to know where the limits are. I get that its more stable than a bicycle but that wasn't my comparison point. Upright trikes are far less stable than a recumbent trike would be.

H
Old 03-24-14, 09:04 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
No, I meant what I said; they are inherently tippy. Because you only have one wheel in the front, it tends to tip over in the direction of centrifigul force.

As to whether they're more or less stable than a bike, the distinction I'm making is between initial stability and ultimate stability. A trike at low speed has very high initial stability and won't tip or lean, but once its starts to lean, it is much less stable than a bicycle.

A bicycle has low initial stability, in that it will lean over very easily, but it has greater ultimate stability because you manage the forces on the bike by leaning, and you can control the lean.

It's similar to the difference between a flat bottom kayak, and a rounded bottom kayak. The flat bottom kayak has great initial stability, and feels more stable, but when it goes over it goes over quickly with less control. Whereas with the rounded bottom kayak, you can control the lean, and while it feels quick to lean its ultimately more stable.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-30-14, 01:11 PM
GreenmanBelg

Bikes: 1957 Higgins Ultralight Trike,1963 Higgins Roadster Trike,2 Longstaff solo trikes, 1 Longstaff Tandem Trike. I'm a trike only man.

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Happy to see a bit of banter re trikes in general.

Rule 1 of trike riding "Never take your trike for granted"

On to the business in hand. The crank shorteners from St John Street Cycles arrived. They are very well engineered and finished.

I enclose a pic.

Managed to get senior junior away from his tab and went went for a spin. He really enjoyed himself and said he'd like to come out again.

Junior junior is too small so I plan on getting a trailer bike so the tandem trike will become a quad.

Enclosed a pic of senior senior and senior junior.

Regards from Belgium.

Attached Images
13514753074_13749d3db2_m.jpg (25.6 KB, 10 views)
13516299073_5250429079_n.jpg (68.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-30-14, 05:32 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Tipping in the corners would be even easier when ridden with a light rider at the back, moving the cg forward closer to the single front wheel.
Old 04-06-14, 02:06 PM
GreenmanBelg

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
All sorted now. Really going great. Its me and the kids out everyday and they really look forward to it. I like tandems because as a serious cyclist of nearly 43 years on the saddle its great to get the kids out and cover some kms.

Tandems are great but tandem trikes are trice the fun.

Enclosed a pic.

Attached Images
13675200683_a33661ee3d_n.jpg (44.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-06-14, 04:15 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
In the UK, they, to some extent, have lightweight racing trikes. Those are pretty well unknown in the US. The only upright trikes in the US are primarily intended seen as an old-person's ride, with the stability issues noted above. One of those trike manufacturers, Worksman, does in fact make a tandem trike. But it is a tandem version of a heavy upright trike, and not a 3-wheel version of a tandem road bike.

The arrangement above looks like lots of fun.