Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

One gear shifter is too hard to push, the other is so soft it won't move. Cables?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

One gear shifter is too hard to push, the other is so soft it won't move. Cables?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-15, 03:58 PM
bestfriendstee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've picked up my first bike since childhood, and am trying to get back into it. I was generously given a bike in good condition from a friend moving away, but I've got one problem which despite some reading/YouTubing I've been unable to solve. I can't really afford to take it into a shop, or I'd do that. I'd really appreciate any help anyone could offer, whether it's tips on what I need to adjust, pointing out that something is stretched/broken/needs replacing, or even just telling me the correct terminology so I can better Google the issues.

The problem is with the gear shifters. I've got the kind of shifters with two levers you flick with your thumbs. On the left/front one, I was unable to go into third (max) gear -- it required so much force I was afraid of breaking it. I say was because I fiddled with the barrel adjuster and cable tension and now can't even push into second. This makes em think I could keep fiddling with it to go the other way but I'm not sure exactly.

On the other shifter, I have the opposite problem. This one starts at 7 and goes down; I can push into sixth and fifth, but pushing again gets zero resistance and doesn't go into the lower gears.

I'm assuming that one cable might be too tight and one too loose? I can't really tell visually. I'm also not sure if everything else is as it should be; the little metal cage bit that knocks the chain onto a different socket when you change gears isn't actually touching anything. Has the chain slipped?

Here are a handful of other images of the cables/chains, in case anyone can tell visually that something is stretched, not hooked up properly, tight, loose, I have no idea.

https://i.imgur.com/qsudwg1.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cfRlQq4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/rbdCuwh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/MpfQgl7.jpg
Old 02-23-15, 04:04 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Front Derailleur Adjustments

Start from scratch
Old 02-23-15, 04:08 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
The pedals have to be turning to shift.

Check to see if the shifters move easily with the cables disconnected from the derailleurs.

Also, fiddling and assuming does not sound like the prescribed procedure.

Last edited by AnkleWork; 02-23-15 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-23-15, 04:19 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
What Anklework said along with a second suggestion to click on the Park Tool link. Consider the Park site like having a great "How To Fix Your Bike" right at your finger tips for all things. 99% of what you want to ask here is well covered on that web site.

A handy third hand for working on this stuff that will allow you to crank over the pedals while adjusting with the other hand is to tie the bike up to some thing so the wheels are off the ground and the stuff is up where it's easier to work without bending over. Ropes or straps from a ceiling or even a couple of long arms off a wall.
Old 02-23-15, 05:13 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
I wonder if the rear shifter pod has the common 'old dry and sticky lube" problem. Andy.