Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Why have a winter bike?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Why have a winter bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-12, 08:00 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by DVC45
Why are we talking ' bout Winter already?
So jhill44 has time to prepare a second bike between all the summer rides. :-)

I have a hybrid for a winter/rough weather bike with fenders and studded tires. It has a fifth the miles of my "summer" bike, but goes through components at the same rate because of salt and sand. Spreading miles over two bikes will make them both last longer and makes logistics easier, so I don't see having two bikes as "double the cost" in terms of dollars and time in maintenance, etc.
Old 05-22-12, 08:20 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
Bottomline...It can do nothing but help to have a spare bike, if you're just the average commuter cyclist.
Here's my problem with it. Newbies come in here, read the posts and come away thinking that commuting by bike is fairly complicated and requires a lot of gear:

spare tubes
fenders
lights
multi-tool
tire levers
pump
rack
panniers
rain gear
etc, etc.

Now we're going to tell them that a dedicated commuter should really have a spare bike?

I'm sorry. No. We don't have to make it that hard because it's not.

If you have the sort of job that you simply can not afford to be twenty minutes late one day, then you can't afford to awaken late. You need to have a plan for what you're going to do if something goes wrong. A spare bike is one option of course but it does you no good if something happens while en route, - which is more likely anyway.
Old 05-22-12, 08:31 AM
nubcake

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Here's my problem with it. Newbies come in here, read the posts and come away thinking that commuting by bike is fairly complicated and requires a lot of gear:

spare tubes
fenders
lights
multi-tool
tire levers
pump
rack
panniers
rain gear
etc, etc.

Now we're going to tell them that a dedicated commuter should really have a spare bike?

If you have the sort of job that you simply can not afford to be twenty minutes late one day, then you can't afford to awaken late. You need to have a plan for what you're going to do if something goes wrong. A spare bike is one option of course but it does you no good if something happens while en route, - which is more likely anyway.
x2.

There is a good chance that he is trying to figure this out now because some people (myself included) have so little disposable income that it really does take this long to be able to put something together without worrying about if you can pay bills/buy food because of the expense. I admire his ability to think ahead, it seems to be a lost trait in our feel good, gotta have it now country.
Old 05-22-12, 08:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I used to pull out the studded Nokian tires, and put them on overnight,
before a freeze up was forecast.

Now they stay on that bike, and for my daily use , when water is not a solid,
as black Ice on the street, I ride the other bikes..

The forecast, now, is just having me check the inflation pressure on that bike's tires..
charging up the battery for the light.
Old 05-22-12, 08:36 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by DVC45
Why are we talking ' bout Winter already?
To paraphrase John F Kennedy, "The time to build a badass studded-tire winter fixie is when the sun is shining."
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-22-12, 08:53 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by treebound
I don't think I'd fit in the sink at work.
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
To paraphrase John F Kennedy, "The time to build a badass studded-tire winter fixie is when the sun is shining."

Old 05-22-12, 09:34 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
i like to think of my main bikes that i commute on as my "fair weather bike" and my "foul weather bike" as opposed to "summer bike" and "winter bike" because the truth is that both bikes get ridden to work in all seasons.

fair weather bike: titanium race bike

foul weather bike: and IGH/hydraulic disc brake hybrid with full fenders and clearances for wide tires.

in the warm seasons my foul weather bike rolls with 35 slicks and in ice season it rolls with 35 studded tires. my fair weather bike rolls with 23 slicks year round because that's all it has clearances for. i love having a IGH disc brake bike for crappy weather because braking is just so much more reliable than rim brakes when it's wet and messy. and an IGH is just a beautiful thing for getting through winter's slop with minimal maintenance.

also, if ice threatens, i won't roll without studded tires. i learned that lesson the HARD way in chicago.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 05-22-12 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-22-12, 09:36 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I dont have a winter bike because we dont have winter.
Old 05-22-12, 12:30 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Truly depressing, yes. I haven't even felt summer in my area yet. ' still trying to forget winter.

Anyway, here's me with my winter bike.

Why have a winter bike? Because I like to ride year round.
Old 05-22-12, 12:38 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I have a dedicated winter bike that has studded tyres, an internal gear hub, generator lights, and was built to handle the worst weather that mother nature can toss at us here which could include -40 C, snow, ice, and a great deal of crud.

Old 05-22-12, 01:01 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
'Cause our winter roads have rocks, gravel, sand, ice, de-icer, bark, limbs, branches, leaves, dead opossums, and the salt air is hell on metal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_7940.JPG (74.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Jseis; 05-22-12 at 01:02 PM. Reason: missed word.
Old 05-22-12, 01:32 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
Well said tjspiel and others. N+1 is a great philosophy to justify doing what you already want to do, but far from a hard requirement. By most of those arguments, we also need extra cars, phones, spouses, etc.

Excess winter corrosion is very valid. But unless you're sporting a super high end bike and a real clunker, I think the extra winter wear on the components is no worse than the cost of maintaining a second bike. Ride what you want and replace what needs replacing when it needs replacing.

I wound up making a winter Franken-bike primarily because I could from stuff I already had. The real benefit I notice is the flexibility to choose studded or not tires. Sure, you could get by with just a spare wheelset, or ride studs even when the streets are clear, but I don't have to and I like it. Another guy I know really amps up the lighting for the dark winter AM and PM commutes, but doesn't like to have all that kit on his bike for mid-day winter weekend rides or have to mount/dismount it, so that's what he likes about a second winter bike.
Old 05-22-12, 01:34 PM
jhill44
Bicycle User

Bikes: Felt F1x

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
My thoughts exactly
Thanks for the input all. I didn't realize this was such a big topic. I think I'll start the process of piecing my old steel frame into a single speed commuter. It can double as a rain bike and when all is said and done it will probably only cost around $100, which isn't bad considering a transit pass is $86/mo. here in Chicago.
I think my decision would be different if I didn't have 80% of what I need lying around, meaning that if I only had 1 bike, I wouldn't be worried about getting a second one to ride.
Old 05-22-12, 01:50 PM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
Dead opossum tread patterns, not something I have given much thought to.
Old 05-22-12, 02:03 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by jhill44
My thoughts exactly
Thanks for the input all. I didn't realize this was such a big topic. I think I'll start the process of piecing my old steel frame into a single speed commuter. It can double as a rain bike and when all is said and done it will probably only cost around $100, which isn't bad considering a transit pass is $86/mo. here in Chicago.
I think my decision would be different if I didn't have 80% of what I need lying around, meaning that if I only had 1 bike, I wouldn't be worried about getting a second one to ride.
My old winter bikes used to double as my rain bikes but they were far too nice for the brutality that winter brings and this was why I decided to build a dedicated winter bike last year... the mtb geometry makes it easier to pop the front wheel up and over obstacles.

Not that the new winter beast is a crap bike... it's a well made entry level bike with a chromoly frame that rides and handles beautifully and winter here is too long to ride a crappy bike.

My "beater" bike is an old Peugeot that I converted to a coaster bike... it is great for those trips where I would not want to leave other bikes for fear of theft or vandalism and handles the rain pretty nicely as there is no braking loss from the coaster hub when things are soaking wet. What looks like a rear brake is actually a wheel lock... with a shackle around my front wheel and frame my wheels are kept reasonably secure.

Old 05-22-12, 04:41 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Maybe I'm getting lazy and prefer to drive over the damn possum. One thing about road kill, they don't move on you.
Old 05-22-12, 04:46 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
I have a dedicated winter bike that has studded tyres, an internal gear hub, generator lights, and was built to handle the worst weather that mother nature can toss at us here which could include -40 C, snow, ice, and a great deal of crud.

I like the low reaching front mudflap. I need to do something like that for my kommuter.
Old 05-22-12, 05:00 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by AdamDZ
I like the low reaching front mudflap. I need to do something like that for my kommuter.
It makes so much difference in that it keeps your front wheel from throwing crud into you drive train which extends the drive train life considerably.

The 3 speed wheels and chain came off my old winter bike after I had ridden them 7000 km... there was no measureable wear on that chain and after another winter where I may have ridden 2000km... the chain still looks and measures out like it was new.

It is not inconceivable that one might get 15,000 - 20,000 km out of a quality chain on a 3 speed if you keep it clean and lubed.
Old 05-22-12, 10:09 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
OK, I've gotta post a pic of the Kona on Ice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
konaOnIce.jpg (93.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-22-12, 10:51 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel

spare tubes
fenders
lights
multi-tool
tire levers
pump
rack
panniers
rain gear
etc, etc.

I can not agree with you. If you use bike as means of transport, you do need a backup. But backup bike can be cheap. 30 euros, no problem. It will roll. How much does a car sost? A monthly bus ticket?

Also, all the gear you mentioned is needed indeed. If you move more than 5 kilometres away. Doesn't cost too much and lasts a long time.
Old 05-23-12, 12:47 AM
robi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Each member of our family has 1 bike. Me and the boys pretty much ride to school./work everyday, regardless of the weather on the same bike, all fixies.

A friends moved abroad recently and left us his old road bike.... I have used it twice once just to see what it was like and once because my kids forgot to replace the patches in the patch kit and had used my spare tube......

I see no reason for a second bike.. sure it would be a nice toy/tool to have if you can afford it. but if I can get by for 15 years using one bike, then I suppose anybody can....
Old 05-23-12, 01:49 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by robi
Each member of our family has 1 bike. Me and the boys pretty much ride to school./work everyday, regardless of the weather on the same bike, all fixies.

A friends moved abroad recently and left us his old road bike.... I have used it twice once just to see what it was like and once because my kids forgot to replace the patches in the patch kit and had used my spare tube......

I see no reason for a second bike.. sure it would be a nice toy/tool to have if you can afford it. but if I can get by for 15 years using one bike, then I suppose anybody can....
Afford? But.. I had a 15 euro spare bike. Just in case. It's not about money. Space, if you live in a flat, but money is not an issue when it comes to backup bicycle. I've had breakdowns that I can't fix myself and LBS had like 1, or 2 days. Or parts can't be found. Last time I got hit by a car, bike damaged. Etc. It is good to have a second bike if you commute by a bicycle. And it is not expensive, or a matter of affordability.
Old 05-23-12, 02:00 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
Afford? But.. I had a 15 euro spare bike. Just in case. It's not about money. Space, if you live in a flat, but money is not an issue when it comes to backup bicycle. I've had breakdowns that I can't fix myself and LBS had like 1, or 2 days. Or parts can't be found. Last time I got hit by a car, bike damaged. Etc. It is good to have a second bike if you commute by a bicycle. And it is not expensive, or a matter of affordability.
you are correct. space is the real issue for inner city dwellers.
Old 05-23-12, 03:55 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
you are correct. space is the real issue for inner city dwellers.
Heck, not even inner city. I live in a town of 8K and my lease agreement prohibits bicycles (and kayaks/canoes/fishing gear) from being stored in the apartment. Fortunately there is secure on-site storage included in my rent, but I need to clean out more of my crap from there before I can even start shopping for a second bike. My goal is to turn the space into a small bike stable/workshop.
Old 05-23-12, 04:13 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by kookaburra1701
Heck, not even inner city. I live in a town of 8K and my lease agreement prohibits bicycles (and kayaks/canoes/fishing gear) from being stored in the apartment. Fortunately there is secure on-site storage included in my rent, but I need to clean out more of my crap from there before I can even start shopping for a second bike. My goal is to turn the space into a small bike stable/workshop.
yeah, we have a traditional room in the basement (4ft wide x 10ft long x 10 feet high) and get both bikes, all of our winter equipment (skis and such), luggage (suitcases and rucksacks) and our storage boxes in (and still have enough space to work on the bikes a little). there is a dedicated bike room (with a few beaters in there) but i don't trust it as there in nothing to lock to within it.

however, it's a trade off, I could have moved into a new building but the pre-war unbombed stuff is much nicer with respect to details (tile and wooden stairwells ... high ceilings ... nice wood details throughout). the newer places we looked at had really nice bike and buggy/pram/stroller rooms (not so much in the pre-war buildings).

i'm not convinced keeping the bad-weather bike inside. i'd just chain it to the fence outside (like the bike left outside at the train stations.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.