Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Motobecane le Champion from the early 70's questions. Value?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-15, 08:07 PM
Mistertom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Morobecane le Champion, that I bought in around 1973, maybe 1974. It is silver. When I bought it, it has been won in a bike race, and the winner of it did not need it, so he consigned it to a local bike shop to sell, I bought it. . I was told it was the same bike the French Olympic racing team used. It has all the original Campy equipment on it. I rode for a while in the early seventies. Still has the original wheels and tubular tires etc. I don't know if this helps, but I recall it weighing in at 19.5 lbs, which I guess was cutting edge at the time. My memory is fuzzy. It's been sitting in my basement for at least 30 years, probably more. Does this bike have any value these days?
Old 08-27-15, 08:09 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Sure but we'll need pictures. I'd post a thread in classic and vintage appraisals. Your location is helpful in figuring out a value (big cities are better markets). Pictures are really important especially of the drive side. Take several of them from different angles showing the parts and post them. Sounds like a really nice bike.
Old 08-27-15, 08:55 PM
Mistertom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Sure but we'll need pictures. I'd post a thread in classic and vintage appraisals. Your location is helpful in figuring out a value (big cities are better markets). Pictures are really important especially of the drive side. Take several of them from different angles showing the parts and post them. Sounds like a really nice bike.
Thank you for your response and advice. My first time posting in the forum, so I appreciate it. Ill take some photos, and post in the thread you mentioned. I did know where to post. Thanks. Ps I'm in Binghamton NY
Old 08-28-15, 01:49 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
I owned a Motobecane Le Champion that I bought brand new I think in 1973. Color scheme for that year was black and red which those bums at Moto then used the same scheme next year for the cheapest Mirage model. The stock model in 73 came with French components - Stronglight cranks for example. Nothing Campi on it. I put on custom built wheels with Phil Wood hubs. Bike weighed 21 pounds. I didn't think of the vintage forum here when I got rid of the bike a few years ago. Donated it to a church bike program that provided bikes to those who needed bikes to get around and couldn't afford a car. It came back a few weeks later with the complaint that it was too harsh a ride. It had 27" X 1" high pressure tires on it so I can understand that it was really suitable for long distance road riding than commuting. A 1975 Le Champion with Campi components for sale in Madison WI on CL shows $550 asking price. Another one listed for $300 ion Louisville sold in the past 3 weeks. That might give you an idea of a decent asking price. It was a great bike when I was young but got increasingly less desirable the older I got.
Old 08-28-15, 02:12 PM
puddinlegs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! I had one I bought used that was my first 'real' road bike. Had the best pearlized aqua paint job I've ever seen. Tubes looked slightly different colors depending on the angle you viewed the bike. Hd T/A stronglight cranks, but the previous owner had replaced the derailleurs with Campy record. Had record hubs as well. Loved that bike. Road and raced it a ton from the age of about 17 through my mid 20's! Very different geometry, particularly the forks, from today's bikes.
Old 08-28-15, 02:20 PM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
You can search all of CL, not just your local area, if you google the following search term - site:craigslist.org Motobecane Le Champion
Old 08-28-15, 03:50 PM
Mistertom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I owned a Motobecane Le Champion that I bought brand new I think in 1973. Color scheme for that year was black and red which those bums at Moto then used the same scheme next year for the cheapest Mirage model. The stock model in 73 came with French components - Stronglight cranks for example. Nothing Campi on it. I put on custom built wheels with Phil Wood hubs. Bike weighed 21 pounds. I didn't think of the vintage forum here when I got rid of the bike a few years ago. Donated it to a church bike program that provided bikes to those who needed bikes to get around and couldn't afford a car. It came back a few weeks later with the complaint that it was too harsh a ride. It had 27" X 1" high pressure tires on it so I can understand that it was really suitable for long distance road riding than commuting. A 1975 Le Champion with Campi components for sale in Madison WI on CL shows $550 asking price. Another one listed for $300 ion Louisville sold in the past 3 weeks. That might give you an idea of a decent asking price. It was a great bike when I was young but got increasingly less desirable the older I got.
Thank you for taking all the time to write,it is appreciated. And for all the info as well. It may indeed have been 74 or 75. It was soooo long ago. Again, pretty nice of you to take the time and share the info. A
Predicated!
Old 08-28-15, 03:52 PM
Mistertom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by puddinlegs
Nice! I had one I bought used that was my first 'real' road bike. Had the best pearlized aqua paint job I've ever seen. Tubes looked slightly different colors depending on the angle you viewed the bike. Hd T/A stronglight cranks, but the previous owner had replaced the derailleurs with Campy record. Had record hubs as well. Loved that bike. Road and raced it a ton from the age of about 17 through my mid 20's! Very different geometry, particularly the forks, from today's bikes.
thanks for sharing.. And for the info too. I appreciate it.
Old 08-28-15, 03:53 PM
Mistertom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trueblood
You can search all of CL, not just your local area, if you google the following search term - site:craigslist.org Motobecane Le Champion

Thanks for that info. I appreciate it. Just walking through my basement the other day and seeing it, brought back many memories, and I started to think so done else should enjoy the bike, as I won't. I'm looking for a bike, but at 60, I'm not looking for one of these. Something comfortable to ride around on with my young kids.
Old 08-28-15, 03:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
that game is played in this section Classic and Vintage Bicycles: What's it Worth? Appraisals and Inquiries