Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Planing to use e-bike battery to power head/tail light. Any concerns?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-15, 12:06 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts

I realize this is e-bike related; however, it is headlight related.

I have a 36V bottle battery for my ebike. I also have a Magic Shine clone and and a 3V (PDW Danger zone) tail light.

Instead of having several batteries on my bike, all with different chargers, I want to power the other two light from the "main" battery.

My plan is to solder leads from the Bottle Battery case, after the main on/off switch, but before the e-bike controller. Those leads would then go to a pair of voltage regulators, one for the headlight and the other to the tail light (I need two of them because they operate at different voltages).

Does this seem sane? Any concerns (I am an Amateur Extra, I know which end of a soldering iron to hold)?

The Bottle Battery

The voltage regulator
  • Non-synchronous rectification non-isolated Buck (SEPIC) module.
  • Input Voltage: DC 4.5-55V; Output Voltage: DC 1.25-30V Adjustable.
  • Output Current: Rated 2A, Max.3A(need heat sink). If output power is more than 15W, please install heat sink.
  • Short Circuit Protection: current limiting, since the recovery.
  • Application: DIY Adjustable Power Supply, DIY Universal Charger, Power supply for electronic equipment etc.
Old 11-16-15, 09:27 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do yourself a favor and use an efficient switching regulator. (I can't tell from what you posted if it is a switching regulator or not.) The front and rear light may be able to run off of the same voltage, check the specs of the lights you have. (Just because the light generally runs on X volts doesn't mean it won't accept anywhere from Y-Z volts, it just may get a little warmer.) (For example, my fenix BT-10 generally runs on 4 AAs, but has a max input voltage of 12V. I run it on ~10V just fine.) You could also put two rear lights in series so you don't have to bother with multiple regulators. In fact, two of your taillights would need 6V, which is only slightly below the 7-8 V your magicshine clone needs, you'd be fine doing that.

You don't need an adjustable regulator, a single output (7-7.5V perhaps) switching voltage regulator would be more simple. If you use a switching regulator you may be able to get away with not needing a heat sink, if you use a linear regulator you'll definitely need a head sink. Also a switching regulator will give you much longer battery life.

Last edited by corrado33; 11-16-15 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-16-15, 12:42 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I think that plan makes sense. What voltage does the MS run off of?

a buck regulator is a switching regulator topology.
Old 11-16-15, 02:44 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Originally Posted by corrado33
You could also put two rear lights in series so you don't have to bother with multiple regulators. In fact, two of your taillights would need 6V, which is only slightly below the 7-8 V your magicshine clone needs, you'd be fine doing that.

You don't need an adjustable regulator, a single output (7-7.5V perhaps) switching voltage regulator would be more simple. If you use a switching regulator you may be able to get away with not needing a heat sink, if you use a linear regulator you'll definitely need a head sink. Also a switching regulator will give you much longer battery life.
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I think that plan makes sense. What voltage does the MS run off of?

a buck regulator is a switching regulator topology.
I considered the idea of two taillights in series, as you mention. My concern is that if I forget to turn them both on I would be running way too much past the other and could cause damage.

My reason for ordering adjustable regulators, instead of, simpler, fixed regulators, is that it is easier to find adjustable than fixed regulators that meet my needs.

The Magic Shine clone seems to run on 7.8VDC
Old 11-16-15, 03:08 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
I considered the idea of two taillights in series, as you mention. My concern is that if I forget to turn them both on I would be running way too much past the other and could cause damage.

My reason for ordering adjustable regulators, instead of, simpler, fixed regulators, is that it is easier to find adjustable than fixed regulators that meet my needs.
You could wire them so that the switches don't work anymore and they'd always be on when plugged in. But then you'd lose the other modes of the light (blink, etc.)

I've essentially made the exact same thing you are, except I used a 12V lead acid battery (not the best idea.) I also used adjustable regulators (because it's what I had laying around.)
Old 11-17-15, 04:01 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C

The Magic Shine clone seems to run on 7.8VDC
If they are in series, turning one off will break the circuit entirely.
Old 11-18-15, 03:12 AM
hartsu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I put DC-DC converter inside the water bottle battery holder base, (many of them has space for adding a mini motor controller board).

Old 11-23-15, 03:49 PM
Robert C

I got around to wiring in the regulator this weekend. I already like only having to plug in one thing when I get home. I realize it seems like a little thing; but it feels like significantly less hassle.

I have not noticed any significant change in range.
Old 11-23-15, 04:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
I wouldn't expect there to be a big difference in range, if any. Do you know how much power the bike motor uses?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-23-15, 06:47 PM
Robert C

Originally Posted by noglider
I wouldn't expect there to be a big difference in range, if any. Do you know how much power the bike motor uses?
According to the display that came with it, I normally am pulling from about 20-50W. However, a couple of days ago I was commuting into a 32mph headwind. At that point it was pulling close to, and sometimes just over, 200W.
Old 11-23-15, 07:33 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
Well, there you go. 3w to power your lights isn't much to add to the load. Good idea and well done. Got pictures or schematics?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.