Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are used bike pedals any good?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-15, 11:28 PM
Deontologist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I found a set of Dura-Ace 7800 pedals on eBay for less than 60. Or about the same price as a new set of 105s.

Any good?

I also found a bunch of Ultegra for ~30.

So are used pedals worth it? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a new one? All the sellers say they are in good condition (obviously). Why do people sell old pedals then?
Old 01-26-15, 07:55 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just like anything else it is a risk. I have bought several pairs from fleabay with no problems.
Old 01-26-15, 09:26 AM
Deontologist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spdracr39
Just like anything else it is a risk. I have bought several pairs from fleabay with no problems.
Would you say used dura-aces for 60 are a good price?
Old 01-26-15, 09:31 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Pedals are pretty robust. Unless they have been crashed and bent, or there's something wrong with the clipping mechanism, they pretty much last forever.
Old 01-26-15, 09:49 AM
Deontologist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
Pedals are pretty robust. Unless they have been crashed and bent, or there's something wrong with the clipping mechanism, they pretty much last forever.
What prices should I be looking at?
Old 01-26-15, 10:25 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I got a brand new pair of Ultegra pedals for $75 with free shipping, on Amazon. How much difference is there between Ultegra and DA?- or DA and 105 for that matter? I only buy used if the price + shipping will be a SUBSTANTIAL savings over new. That being said, I got a pair of PD-6500 pedals that came with my old Klein- must be at least 17 years old and they still work and look fine.
Old 01-26-15, 10:32 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
No, one of my Dura-Ace pedals from 1983 recently developed a problem

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-26-15, 10:45 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
No, one of my Dura-Ace pedals from 1983 recently developed a problem
The lower weight of high end components obviously come at the cost of durability.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 01-26-15, 10:52 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
For pricing, you can look at "completed listings" on Ebay to see what similar items sold for, or did not sell for.

You may see "Item A" sold for $50, and "Item A" listed at $60 did not sell.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-26-15, 11:10 AM
Deontologist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stucky
I got a brand new pair of Ultegra pedals for $75 with free shipping, on Amazon. How much difference is there between Ultegra and DA?- or DA and 105 for that matter? I only buy used if the price + shipping will be a SUBSTANTIAL savings over new. That being said, I got a pair of PD-6500 pedals that came with my old Klein- must be at least 17 years old and they still work and look fine.

Was this a one time deal or can I get the same deal now?
Old 01-26-15, 11:39 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Deontologist
Was this a one time deal or can I get the same deal now?
On-going. They're SPDs though...don't know if that's what you use? If it is, I can post a link.
Old 01-26-15, 11:44 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
$62 at Chainreaction! Shimano A600 Road Pedals | Chain Reaction Cycles
Old 01-26-15, 01:21 PM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I picked up an almost new bike that came with dura-ace 7800 pedals on them and hated them. No matter what adjustments I made I always got hot foot not to mention they just didn't feel smooth.

I picked up a pair of look keo 2 max pedals and it's been a world of difference not to mention they weigh about half as much as the dura ace. New price on them was about $83 shipped. Look Keo 2 MAX Composite Limited Edition Pedals Sports & Leisure | ProBikeKit.com
Old 01-27-15, 01:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Overhaul it and look inside . Sight unseen I Have No Clue.

spindles could be bent.
Old 01-27-15, 02:59 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
All my pedals are used, road and mtb, and they all work fine. They were new when I bought them, however.
Old 01-27-15, 05:00 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Is a used car any good?

Any time I see a post asking if a used such and such is a good deal, my knee jerk reaction is that it's not. If you have to ask a bunch of strangers if something they (we) can't see is any good, you probably do not have the expertise to judge. If that's the case, it's time to go see your friendly local bike shop (LBS) and pay for something that IS good. If it turns out to be a lemon (however unlikely that is), you'll have the LBS to deal with warranty issues for you.
Old 01-27-15, 08:21 PM
Deontologist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Is a used car any good?

Any time I see a post asking if a used such and such is a good deal, my knee jerk reaction is that it's not. If you have to ask a bunch of strangers if something they (we) can't see is any good, you probably do not have the expertise to judge. If that's the case, it's time to go see your friendly local bike shop (LBS) and pay for something that IS good. If it turns out to be a lemon (however unlikely that is), you'll have the LBS to deal with warranty issues for you.
Well eBay has their money back guarantee and many sellers describe their used pedals as "in good condition" and some even say that the bearings are smooth and the spindles fine ... I just wanted to know what prices for used pedals is good and how good are used pedals - i.e. how long can I expect them to last. Sure they might come to me a bit dirty and scuffed up but working but how long can I expect them to stay that way? Even my first bike - a BSO from Wal-Mart - came to me in working condition. Didn't stay that way for long though and even if it did it was just a terrible bike.
Old 01-28-15, 11:43 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I just wanted to know what prices for used pedals is good.
I bought 2 sets of used pedals at a swap meet for $10.00/pr. I thought that was a fair price. I assume the seller did too or he wouldn't have sold them for that little. I think that you're worrying too much but I still wouldn't pay more for used pedals than I was prepared to lose.
Old 01-28-15, 12:58 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Well eBay has their money back guarantee and many sellers describe their used pedals as "in good condition" and some even say that the bearings are smooth and the spindles fine ... I just wanted to know what prices for used pedals is good and how good are used pedals - i.e. how long can I expect them to last. Sure they might come to me a bit dirty and scuffed up but working but how long can I expect them to stay that way? Even my first bike - a BSO from Wal-Mart - came to me in working condition. Didn't stay that way for long though and even if it did it was just a terrible bike.
There's really no way to tell how long they will last. You could have a set of ten year-old pedals that were on a bike that somebody didn't ride 100 miles, and has been sitting in their garage for the last 10 years- or you could have a set of used pedals that someone put 20,000 miles on, and the bearings could start getting sloppy next week. I'd imagine though, with pedals, if they're in nice cosmetic shape, it would likely indicate that they didn't have a lot of use on them. Also, when buying on Ebay, there's a big difference between the guy who just lists a pair of pedals, and doesn't say much or anything about their condition, vs. someone who gives a lot of details ("Hardly any miles on them; just switched to a different kind of cleat system, so I don't use them anymore.... They're in excellent condition") and who takes a lot of pics.

Just about any name-brand quality component, no matter how used and abused, will last longer and perform better than anything on a Walmart bike, though....

I don't think I'd pay $60 for used pedals though; generally, anything used, I want to get it cheap enough to ensure that if it doesn't last too long, I can buy another, and not be into them for as much or more than new ones. Gotta be a real good deal...or I'd just buy new.

Search around the internet too- sometimes you find older new-old stock items (NOS) brand-new for less than what someone wants for old ratty ones on Ebay.