Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

26 inch tan wall MTB tires

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

26 inch tan wall MTB tires

Old 05-23-18, 11:27 PM
redmanf1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I have the Kenda Kross Plus K847 on one of my MTB/s that is mainly a street bike. I like these mush better that the panaracer smoke lite that is on my other MTB. The kross is much quieter than the smoke.

Old 05-24-18, 09:28 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by coolkat
A lot of people forget or don't realize that Compass makes 26" tires smaller than the RTP. I'm eyeing the Naches Pass 1.8 myself. Currently running 1.75 Paselas and they're pretty good, especially for the price. I wish they were a little wider, but then I'd have to get new fenders so it's ok They look good and get a nice hum goin on smooth pavement
The Naches Passes ended up no wider for me, but they are much smoother. You won't regret it!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-24-18, 01:48 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I have 1.75 Paselas on my MB-2 that never leaves the pavement. I'd buy them again.
Old 05-24-18, 02:05 PM
simmonsgc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I have 1.75 Paselas on my MB-2 that never leaves the pavement. I'd buy them again.
Maybe this isn't the thread for it, but when are you gonna post a picture of that MB2? I've been wanting to see it for a long time....
Old 05-28-18, 06:51 AM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
i ended up with paselas. I am hoping they will be here in the next few days. Thanks all.
Old 05-29-18, 04:33 PM
Wordwreckin
Young Vintage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmeb
Compass makes some stupidly nice 26" skinwalls -- the Rat Trap pass. If I was going to be on tarmac 95% of the time, its what I would take assuming money is no object.

I've ridden the Maxxis above. Stout tire, nice and versatile. But no where near the ride quality of the compass.

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...rat-trap-pass/

You ain’t joking. I just did 200+ miles this weekend on a pair of RatTrap Pass tires and they live up to the hype. Most of the miles were chipseal and there’s no way I could of done it with a smaller volume tire. These things roll and roll. I only flatted from a rim strip failure and my buddy who was using the same tires had one flat from a pretty big thorn that would have flatted many other tires. I was hesitant to drop the coin for tires but they are great tires.
Old 05-30-18, 02:20 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
Thumbs Up for Pasellas

About 10 years ago I put a set of 26" x 1.75 Paselas on my 1987 Colnago MTB. They were very smooth on the road.

The Pasela 1.75 tires looked undersized on that bike and I wanted to do some serious gravel crunching so I installed some 26" x 1.95 Hemisphere EX tires. They looked WAY oversized compared to the Paselas and did nothing to improve the squirrely handling on or off road. Ernesto didn't have a clue about MTB geometry. It felt like a twitchy crit bike!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 08-15-19, 04:45 PM
philroyjenkins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
This is a topic I have thought a lot about.

-Maxxis DTH. Roll well. Pretty thick tread. I have been riding one regularly on pavement for 2 years and the tread shows little to no wear. No punctures. Thanks to it being a pump track tire. Very happy with it for a heavy city bike. Best option if you need wide and smooth but can't afford the $$$ Compasses.

-Pasela 1.75. Good all-rounder. Never really had an issue.
Could you speak a little more about these two? I am riding Maxxis DTH 26x2.15" on my old steel trek MTB and my ride has been feeling sluggish. I was thinking of moving to the panracers to achieve a slightly thinner tigher and maybe roll a bit faster.
Old 08-16-19, 07:49 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by philroyjenkins
Could you speak a little more about these two? I am riding Maxxis DTH 26x2.15" on my old steel trek MTB and my ride has been feeling sluggish. I was thinking of moving to the panracers to achieve a slightly thinner tigher and maybe roll a bit faster.
I doubt the 1.75" Pasela will actually roll faster than the 2.15" DTH. What I would do instead is play with the pressure on your DTHs. I found that pumping up the pressure too high made them feel sluggish and running them a little lower made them feel more supple and faster.

Last edited by TenGrainBread; 08-16-19 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-16-19, 10:56 AM
philroyjenkins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
I doubt the 1.75" Pasela will actually roll faster than the 2.15" DTH. What I would do instead is play with the pressure on your DTHs. I found that pumping up the pressure to high made them feel sluggish and running them a little lower made them feel more supple and faster.
Dude that's actually great to hear. Thanks for the advice. It fits right along with my experience too.

When I first got them I rode them at 60psi or so and thought they felt pretty nice compared to my Schwalbe Fat Franks I didn't notice them feeling any slowly or slugish. I slowly started pumping them more and more towards their max thinking I'd sacrifice a little cush and gain some more speed/rolling.

The thing is, I've only just recently started commuting regularly so I had the idea that I've just gotten a bit more fit in the few months I've been riding which is why I was only now noticing the sluggishness that I thought was always there with the tires. It didn't once cross my mind that less psi could = better feel and rolling.

Going to try going back to 60 today