Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

3Rensho

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-19, 08:32 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood; Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
3Rensho

Hi,
Can anyone provide any info (including thoughts on value) in regard to teh following 3Remsho bike (DuraAce)?
https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/b...973420585.html

I'm not familiar with them (and of course will be googling as soon as my wife leaves the house (big honey do list today )

Thanks!

Old 09-08-19, 08:37 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Contact Andy Muzi at the Yellow Jersey in Cambridge, Wisconsin.
He was a US point of contact for 3rensho.
Old 09-08-19, 10:07 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by 100bikes
Contact Andy Muzi at the Yellow Jersey in Cambridge, Wisconsin.
He was a US point of contact for 3rensho.
Thanks, 100bikes! I just sent an email to Yellow Jersey.
Old 09-08-19, 08:58 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
If it's real and, the owner can prove it's authentic .......... then, it's definitely collectible. Equivalent to a vintage Italian De Rosa or, an American Paramount. A very nice bike. $800 is a reasonable price (if it's real). (3RENSHO graphics should also be on the frame not just on the forks).
Old 09-09-19, 09:25 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Highly desirable frame with a great group. While it's in the ballpark, you're paying a substantial premium for the name and can get similar performance for several hundred dollars less.
Old 09-09-19, 03:34 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Highly desirable frame with a great group. While it's in the ballpark, you're paying a substantial premium for the name and can get similar performance for several hundred dollars less.
T-Mar
Thanks. You’ve again answered the question I was thinking before I asked it. If one were after only similar performance, what would he or she consider instead?
Old 09-09-19, 07:34 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
The best bang for the buck in vintage Japanese steel would probably be a mid 80's Fuji Team or Club or an 80's era Centurion Ironman or Elite. If you want to look for something a little more rare, try and find a mid 80's Shogun Samurai. Some of the late 80's early 90's Schwinn PDG bikes are nice too.
Old 09-09-19, 07:56 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by ramzilla
The best bang for the buck in vintage Japanese steel would probably be a mid 80's Fuji Team or Club or an 80's era Centurion Ironman or Elite. If you want to look for something a little more rare, try and find a mid 80's Shogun Samurai. Some of the late 80's early 90's Schwinn PDG bikes are nice too.
Thanks, Ramzilla.
I’ll check out the Team Fujis, etc.

I was looking for Lemonds and Schwinn PDG 5’s and 7s a year and half ago (I’d like a steel bike with brifters). However, you know, I just didn’t come across one in my size, in my area. Without knowing what that kind of bike would ride like, I just didn’t want to order one (e.g. via a facilitator or EBay) sight unseen.

Then, I had an accident and only now started riding again. I have a couple bikes that don’t fit so, I’d like something in the right size.

The 3Rensho looks really nice. I hope to check it out Wednesday, spoke with the seller. A Rossin caught my eye because brifters. However, I’m not at all familiar with Campy so I thought I’d ask (I submitted another post on this site recently).
However, as Dirt mentioned bombardment, I’ll try to keep my posts to a minimum! 😂

So, so many Craigslist temptations - it will be hard but I’ll try my best! 😃. Thank you!!
Old 09-10-19, 05:24 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Mdl
Thanks, Ramzilla.
I’ll check out the Team Fujis, etc.

I was looking for Lemonds and Schwinn PDG 5’s and 7s a year and half ago (I’d like a steel bike with brifters). However, you know, I just didn’t come across one in my size, in my area. Without knowing what that kind of bike would ride like, I just didn’t want to order one (e.g. via a facilitator or EBay) sight unseen.

Then, I had an accident and only now started riding again. I have a couple bikes that don’t fit so, I’d like something in the right size.

The 3Rensho looks really nice. I hope to check it out Wednesday, spoke with the seller. A Rossin caught my eye because brifters. However, I’m not at all familiar with Campy so I thought I’d ask (I submitted another post on this site recently).
However, as Dirt mentioned bombardment, I’ll try to keep my posts to a minimum! ��

So, so many Craigslist temptations - it will be hard but I’ll try my best! ��. Thank you!!
The 3 Rensho is a grail bike for many, for those folks no production bike is even remotely in the same class. These have immense cache with their people, you will always pay a premium for them. Usually worth it if its your thing and of course it has to be the real thing. Can't tell for sure from the pic but for being lugged at this price it should have the offset fork crown which was his trademark early on, google is your friend, plenty will come up on this. Make it so.
Old 09-10-19, 05:33 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
MDL,
Buy it it is legit! Smiles, MH
Old 09-11-19, 08:13 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
I agree with the buy it, but it looks much larger than a 54.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 09-11-19, 11:16 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by merziac
The 3 Rensho is a grail bike for many, for those folks no production bike is even remotely in the same class. These have immense cache with their people, you will always pay a premium for them. Usually worth it if its your thing and of course it has to be the real thing. Can't tell for sure from the pic but for being lugged at this price it should have the offset fork crown which was his trademark early on, google is your friend, plenty will come up on this. Make it so.
Merziac,
Is the fork not offset? I googled what that means, but I’m still not sure. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Old 09-11-19, 11:34 AM
Paletti

Bikes: 1985 DeRosa SLX, 1994 DeRosa Primato, 2009 DeRosa x-light, 1993 Paletti, 1983 Colnago aero cx, 1984 Colnago Mexico, 1983 Colner strato professional, 2016 Colnago V1-R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah .. 3rensho's command high prices. I've wanted one for my collection and almost got one years ago but was out bidded in the last second. You never see them sell for cheap. In fact I think they hold their value just about as good as any frames out there. This one is in not great shape but with some decals would look nice.
Old 09-11-19, 12:41 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
MDL,
Buy it it is legit! Smiles, MH
Lol
Old 09-11-19, 01:06 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by Mdl
Merziac,
Is the fork not offset? I googled what that means, but I’m still not sure. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!
I can't tell from the pic of yours, here is a good pic of one. This is not a dealbreaker but is far more desirable at a high pricepoint. I would encourage you not to drag your feet much more especially if the crown is offset, you will miss out. If you can live with it either way, make it so.

Old 09-11-19, 01:31 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by Mdl
Merziac,
Also, comparing yours to the offset, if yours is, then it's not a standard "production", maybe even "more" special.