Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Nice Ride Near Boone, NC

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Nice Ride Near Boone, NC

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-19, 02:05 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Nice Ride Near Boone, NC

Cycle NC starts this weekend and I’m signed up for it. It’s my 4th and last week long supported bike tour for 2019. This the ride year it starts in Blowing Rock and finishes in Atlantic Beach. The third day the route goes through my regular riding area.

My daughter lives in Boone so we came up a couple days early so my wife could attend a few courses to maintain her acupuncture accreditation. My daughter and son in law recently completed finishing up there basement and it’s really, really nice. It’s huge and well thought out plus nicely appointed with my daughter using her artistic touch. The basement has two bedrooms, full bathroom, kitchen, storage room, an exercise area, a playroom for my grandson plus a HUGE man cave with an 80” tv. We were the first guests to enjoy it.

Anyway I took advantage of the perfect weather and enjoyed a 50 mile ride that was mostly on the Blue Ridge Parkway. There aren’t any flat roads in the area so there was close to 5000’ of climbing over the route. The steepest section was riding the road up the mountain to my daughter’s house! Boone is around 3000’ above sea level so it’s a little cooler and less humid than around Charlotte where we live. Here are a few pictures.

Old 09-28-19, 10:56 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
We rode around there a few years ago. I think Lance Armstrong used to ride those roads to keep in shape.
Likes For coffeesnob:
Old 09-28-19, 11:37 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
We rode around there a few years ago. I think Lance Armstrong used to ride those roads to keep in shape.
He did. Climbing Beech Mtn nearby is what gave him the momentum to rejuvenate his professional career.
Likes For jppe:
Old 10-04-19, 07:41 AM
ManyBikess

Bikes: 22 Specilaized Roll 3, 18 Sirrus Carbon, 07 Colnago CLX, 03 KHS 304, 79 Schwinn Super LeTour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I soo wish I lived somewhere with hills, says the old guy in coastal Florida.