Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

New Evil gravel bike

Old 10-12-19, 01:00 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
New Evil gravel bike

They known for making some burly mtb frames and this definitely follows that mantra. Built around 700x2.1 tires.

Old 10-12-19, 02:44 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
The downhillers version of a gravel bike? What is the head angle on that?
Old 10-12-19, 05:43 AM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Mountain bike with drop bars?
Old 10-12-19, 09:46 AM
gus6464

They don't make an XC frame so this is a new bike from them.
Old 10-12-19, 10:01 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
There is basically no mud/aggregate clearance in the back against that seat tube with that tire....I'd think even the mold-flashing from the tire would rub.

Old 10-12-19, 10:10 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
There is basically no mud/aggregate clearance in the back against that seat tube with that tire....I'd think even the mold-flashing from the tire would rub.

That was my first thought also. I can see the muck building up there really fast on a wet day.
Old 10-12-19, 10:40 AM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
That was my first thought also. I can see the muck building up there really fast on a wet day.

Run smaller tires, those are 2.1 inch go down to a 40ish mm.
Old 10-12-19, 11:58 AM
gus6464

That's normal on an xc frame. They shed mud from the chainstay yoke. Specialized Epic is the same plus all the other race xc hardtails.
Old 10-12-19, 01:01 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by wsteve464
Run smaller tires, those are 2.1 inch go down to a 40ish mm.
True...but don't advertise it as "designed for 2.1" tires"...when it visibly would probably have frame damage from picked up gravel grinding the seat tube.
Old 10-12-19, 01:14 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
meh... that is a MTB
Old 10-12-19, 03:42 PM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
As B.A. as that looks, the redesigned Salsa Cutthroat looks like a more capable bike. That bottom bracket looks so low to the ground I'd be leery of hitting some singletrack with that. I'll be anxious to see a geometry chart.
Likes For PumpedUpKicks:
Old 10-12-19, 03:44 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I upsized to 2.35" on my MTB because the 2.1" are too narrow for loose scree and such. Maybe alright on a gravel road, but I have a hard time staying on the road. I should add that I really like that head angle though.
Old 10-12-19, 11:50 PM
gus6464

Everyone in this forum needs to get out once in a while and ride an mtb. Not saying buy one but at least ride one. Would give a whole new perspective on what a gravel bike should and should not be.
Old 10-13-19, 01:02 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
Everyone in this forum needs to get out once in a while and ride an mtb. Not saying buy one but at least ride one. Would give a whole new perspective on what a gravel bike should and should not be.
I'll keep my Scalpel and buy a more road oriented gravel bike for uhhh gravel roads.

as for the 'new' dirt highways, super fun. but not exactly what I call mtb'ing either.

Likes For Metieval:
Old 10-13-19, 08:15 AM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
I'll keep my Scalpel and buy a more road oriented gravel bike for uhhh gravel roads.
Long before this fad began, people rode their touring/randonneuring bikes or if they were crazy, their road bike () on gravel and unpaved roads. I ride my mountain bike almost as much as my Stigmata. I'm with @Metieval and to each their own, but I'm not convinced why a gravel bike needs a 64-65 degree HT angle and other crazy geo. Rather, this is marketing genius. The bike looks awesome. Is it comfortable? Probably. Practical for something other than creek beds and washed out roads? Up to the rider. Definitely a head turner though.
Old 10-13-19, 11:11 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
I have a modern MTB with 27.5 wheels, slack 68deg hta, and an absurdly wide bar. Yet much of the singletrack where I live can be ridden faster and easier on my gravel bike. Much of the single track around here is river bottom that is flat and twisty with quick steep 5' climbs. A bus isnt great for that.
There are some areas of singletrack where I really like my mtb, but it's a 30 or 50 min drive to those spots, instead of 5 or 10min to the twisty river areas.

Meanwhile, the thousands of miles of gravel roads surrounding me are simply roads that are made of crushed rock instead of pavement. They are roads and a road bike with some modifications works great. I don't need an HTA in the 60s. I dont need a wheelbase that's 4" longer. Etc etc.

The Evil bike at the start of this thread is neat looking, bit functionally I think it would be less than the ideal that I have found for my gravel road riding.
If someone doesnt actually ride gravel roads and instead rides singletrack, rutted out jeep/fire roads, and slams over baby heads- then what I ride for gravel might not be as good as the Evil bike mentioned earlier.

To each their own and all- everyone has their own definition for what gravel is.

Also, that saddle looks seriously uncomfortable I cant imagine constantly sliding forward and thinking that's a fun way to ride. But again, to each their own- apparently some people do enjoy having to constantly push backwards with their hands to keep from sliding forward.
Old 10-14-19, 05:11 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
meh... that is a MTB
Yes, more like the Open One+

https://opencycle.com/oneplus
Old 10-14-19, 12:27 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I do see many online reviews of gravel bikes where they are testing them on what I would have considered mountain bike trails in the 1990s. I don't really consider single track through the woods "gravel riding". In fact, that was prime 26" MTB territory in the 1990s. But every reviewer seems to test their gravel bikes under these conditions.

"Gravel bikes" were more or less developed for riding gravel roads, were they not?
Old 10-14-19, 01:42 PM
gus6464

as for the 'new' dirt highways, super fun. but not exactly what I call mtb'ing either.

That's a mountain bike trail.
Old 10-14-19, 02:13 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
That's a mountain bike trail.
It's a 4' wide dirt sidewalk! LOL
Likes For Metieval:
Old 10-16-19, 05:09 AM
Garfield Cat

Originally Posted by HarborBandS
I do see many online reviews of gravel bikes where they are testing them on what I would have considered mountain bike trails in the 1990s. I don't really consider single track through the woods "gravel riding". In fact, that was prime 26" MTB territory in the 1990s. But every reviewer seems to test their gravel bikes under these conditions.

"Gravel bikes" were more or less developed for riding gravel roads, were they not?
Not. Gravel bikes are going through an identity thing, just like when you have a mid life crisis? I call it "organic development".
Old 10-16-19, 07:09 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Not. Gravel bikes are going through an identity thing, just like when you have a mid life crisis? I call it "organic development".
I'm talking about the original incarnation of a "gravel bike". Wasn't this "genre" of bike originally intended as a road bike for gravel roads? That's how I've come to understand it, though the very idea of a "gravel bike" has always been a bit fuzzy and hard to nail down.

I guess the definition of a gravel bike will not get clearer any time soon. Granted, mountain bikes have certainly evolved quite a bit since their early incarnations as well .
Old 10-16-19, 08:22 AM
Garfield Cat

Originally Posted by HarborBandS
I'm talking about the original incarnation of a "gravel bike". Wasn't this "genre" of bike originally intended as a road bike for gravel roads? That's how I've come to understand it, though the very idea of a "gravel bike" has always been a bit fuzzy and hard to nail down.

I guess the definition of a gravel bike will not get clearer any time soon. Granted, mountain bikes have certainly evolved quite a bit since their early incarnations as well .
With cycling, is there anymore original intent to hang onto? I say yes, but still "organic development" builds on those foundations like its axiomatic. Just like in math: additive, commutative, distributive laws. Who said this? Was it Aristotle?
Old 10-17-19, 06:16 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts

I dont understand this post.

- It seems like you are saying this isnt the type of riding that a gravel bike is for.
- You show an MTB in it, but then later in the thread you respond to it being called an MTB trail by laughing and clarifying and calling it a dirt sidewalk.

So do you not consider the picture to be mountain biking?
Or do you consider it too easy to be mountain biking(by calling it a sidewalk) in which case a less technical bike like a drop bar gravel bike could excel? If thats the case, then it refutes what you say earlier, so I would guess this isnt accurate.
Are you calling the path in the picture a dirt highway? If so, what is a dirt highway? If not, what is a dirt highway?

You have my curiosity for sure!
Old 10-17-19, 10:36 AM
gus6464

The picture above is a classic flow trail. A gravel bike can do it no problem sure but an MTB would let you get rowdy on it and pick up some serious speed which is the point of a flow trail to begin with.
Likes For gus6464: