Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Prostate/ REZUM

Old 09-17-19, 09:22 PM
Irishred

Bikes: Tour Easy; Salsa Marrakesh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Prostate/ REZUM

We hear a lot about knee replacement and how it affects bike riding in these threads. I haven't been able to find many discussions on BPH and how riding a bike affects that. My uro doc says a procedure called "REZUM" would have an overall good affect as far as riding comfort. I know what the procedure entails, but has anyone had any experience with this and how it affects comfort on the bike?
Old 09-18-19, 08:12 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Irishred
We hear a lot about knee replacement and how it affects bike riding in these threads. I haven't been able to find many discussions on BPH and how riding a bike affects that. My uro doc says a procedure called "REZUM" would have an overall good affect as far as riding comfort. I know what the procedure entails, but has anyone had any experience with this and how it affects comfort on the bike?
Suggest joining the following OUTSTANDING FORUM and inquire there ----

https://www.inspire.com/groups/us-too-prostate-cancer/
Old 09-18-19, 08:20 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
BHP is not cancer. My doc has been following my BHP for about 15 years. It's getting to the point where I may have to do something about it, but the only bike-related problem I have is that having to pee all the time is interrupting my rides.

No idea about "Rezum" which somehow uses steam to shrink the prostate.
Old 09-18-19, 09:36 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
There are prescription meds for BHP including the peeing. Ask your doctor. There are side effects. Ask about that too, and their effects on athletes.

Riding for sure encourages BHP. It's a known issue with older cyclists. It's a big drag to have to drop out of the paceline to pee. See the thread on standing in the Training and Nutrition forum.

I have a friend who takes Flomax and loves it. OTOH he doesn't ride, though he's very active.
Old 09-18-19, 11:34 AM
Irishred

Bikes: Tour Easy; Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Suggest joining the following OUTSTANDING FORUM and inquire there ----

https://www.inspire.com/groups/us-too-prostate-cancer/
The link you posted is a sight that addresses cancer, thank you. The issue I'm posting is re BPH/REZUM with the emphasis on how that affects riding a bicycle.
If this topic isn't appropriate for this sight, I would hope the folks that control "Bike Forums" would be the one(s) to let me know that. But again, thank you for the suggestion.
Old 09-18-19, 12:30 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Originally Posted by Irishred
The link you posted is a sight that addresses cancer, thank you. The issue I'm posting is re BPH/REZUM with the emphasis on how that affects riding a bicycle.
If this topic isn't appropriate for this sight, I would hope the folks that control "Bike Forums" would be the one(s) to let me know that. But again, thank you for the suggestion.
I linked the sight BECAUSE it has other cyclists who have gone thru EVERYTHING PROSTATE RELATED with treatments for BPH. Possibility of hooking up with a cyclist who had REZUM.
Old 09-18-19, 02:29 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,380 Times in 3,692 Posts
Thread moved from 50+ to 50+ Pills and Ills.
Old 09-18-19, 09:43 PM
BlackForestTerp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
There's a ton of information about both at patient.info. Look in the forums for a sub forum called "Prostate Problems".

Not the easiest forum to use, but is the best source I could find.

Btw, I suffer from BPH, and underwent a Prostatic Artery Embolization (PAE) to shrink my prostate this past May. It's improved my quality of life significantly.

Last edited by BlackForestTerp; 09-18-19 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-17-19, 08:21 AM
mgearing

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a cyclist, and I had the Rezum procedure done 5 weeks ago.

The results as far as improving my BPH have been remarkable. All my BPH issues are gone except for one thing, and that is cycling.

I waited over 2 weeks after the procedure before I started working out on my trainer. I notice that if I ride for an hour or more that my BPH symptoms would start returning. If I avoid cycling, everything works perfectly again.

I did a lot of research to see if this was common, but could not find anything. So here is what I think is happening. The Rezum procedure works by killing the inner layer of your prostate, which then takes several months for your body to reabsorb. I think sitting on a saddle during this recovery period irritates the healing prostate, and it swells a bit. So I am going to wait until my prostate has fully shrunk in another month or two before I return to cycling. I also speculate that this is more likely if you had a median lobe in your prostate. It tends to push into the neck of your bladder, and men with this don't respond to BPH meds as well as others. Rezum goes after this lobe, too, and I think that is exactly what gets irritated by cycling.

I will post back here about Thanksgiving when I will restart cycling again. I am hoping my prostate will be shrunk and healed enough by then to return to cycling.
Old 10-17-19, 10:18 PM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by mgearing
I am a cyclist, and I had the Rezum procedure done 5 weeks ago.

The results as far as improving my BPH have been remarkable. All my BPH issues are gone except for one thing, and that is cycling.

I waited over 2 weeks after the procedure before I started working out on my trainer. I notice that if I ride for an hour or more that my BPH symptoms would start returning. If I avoid cycling, everything works perfectly again.

I did a lot of research to see if this was common, but could not find anything. So here is what I think is happening. The Rezum procedure works by killing the inner layer of your prostate, which then takes several months for your body to reabsorb. I think sitting on a saddle during this recovery period irritates the healing prostate, and it swells a bit. So I am going to wait until my prostate has fully shrunk in another month or two before I return to cycling. I also speculate that this is more likely if you had a median lobe in your prostate. It tends to push into the neck of your bladder, and men with this don't respond to BPH meds as well as others. Rezum goes after this lobe, too, and I think that is exactly what gets irritated by cycling.

I will post back here about Thanksgiving when I will restart cycling again. I am hoping my prostate will be shrunk and healed enough by then to return to cycling.
Great progress report from an actual recipient of the procedure. My prostate issue was/is cancer so not dealing with the same problems. I bicycled 2 days after one procedure when at the time still had Mr. Foley's tube in place with the bag strapped to my leg. Wasn't going to let procedure or Mr.Foley stop me from meeting up with the Saturday morning LBS ride group.

I believe that posting your continued experiences could be beneficial for others.. Good LUCK!