Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

over 50, training for a 150 mile ride, and after cancer

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-15, 01:33 PM
chainlink

Bikes: Brompton, Tern eLink D7i (sold). RM - Tinker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not too sure where I should post this since this can actually affect a lot of riders out there. So I'm coming back to cycling after a few years off, I finished cancer treatment in October. I started weight training in January to get some strength back and started cycling in March. I signed up for a 150 mile fundraising cancer ride (Ride to Victory) that is 6 weeks away.( I''ve been following a 10 week training plan with 6 weeks left). Yesterday I walked two hills so I'm definitely not happy about that. I tell myself it's a ride and not a race and my ego is screaming that walking hills is sometimes worse than pushing pedals. I JUST started questioning my sanity ..... anyone out there experience something as wonderfully wild as preparing for a milestone like this after a long illness or injury and sort of oldish? Apologies if I'm not posting under the *correct* heading.
Old 04-19-15, 03:53 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Darn! I'm in my 50's, and no health issues....but I ain't riding 150 miles....EVER!
Old 04-19-15, 04:36 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,684 Times in 829 Posts
Any victory over cancer or other illness is something to celebrate. I don't know your particular fitness level, but it sounds like you are concerned you may have have bitten off more than you can chew. But I understand, after having seen the ferocious cruelty of some forms of cancer and other illnesses. You want to demonstrate to yourself and to cancer that you are no longer in its grip; and as hard as you fought, you want to put forth the same effort to this fund raising event. But it's not the same thing. I don't know how old you are. but you might put forth too great an effort for your current fitness level and end up injuring yourself, or stressing your system to where you open your self up to other problems. Not having all the information, I say go ride and raise funds. But be reasonable. Whatever you accomplish, you accomplish. You've already beat cancer and made it through chemo, which is an amazing feat in itself and nothing more needs to be said about your stamina, dedication and courage. There's always next year, which will be more than enough time to get yourself back into shape to comfortably and safely ride 150 miles.
Old 04-19-15, 05:27 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Any victory over cancer or other illness is something to celebrate. I don't know your particular fitness level, but it sounds like you are concerned you may have have bitten off more than you can chew. But I understand, after having seen the ferocious cruelty of some forms of cancer and other illnesses. You want to demonstrate to yourself and to cancer that you are no longer in its grip; and as hard as you fought, you want to put forth the same effort to this fund raising event. But it's not the same thing. I don't know how old you are. but you might put forth too great an effort for your current fitness level and end up injuring yourself, or stressing your system to where you open your self up to other problems. Not having all the information, I say go ride and raise funds. But be reasonable. Whatever you accomplish, you accomplish. You've already beat cancer and made it through chemo, which is an amazing feat in itself and nothing more needs to be said about your stamina, dedication and courage. There's always next year, which will be more than enough time to get yourself back into shape to comfortably and safely ride 150 miles.
Hey chainlink we're going to bypass the over fifty thing,,,Tell you what I'm over sixty, now the illness thing is very different you say you got over that , that's a mile stone, I've done many 150 mile RIDES but I must admite it's been a two day event 75 one day going and 75 coming back, usually organized rides that long have a lot of support, meaning mechinics and ofcoures the SAG wagon, that's when a big truck or van comes by and picks you up and takes you to the next rest stop, there you decide if you want to get off and ride some more or if you're done they'll take you to the END, get all the info on this ride and then decide, NO ONE left behind is the policy for rides like this,,, do it and enjoy yourself that will be another MILE stone,,,,, good luck,,,,,,,,,
Old 04-19-15, 08:49 PM
chainlink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BobbyG - thank you for the wisdom and 'be reasonable' part as I can be a little hard on myself and there is no "no" in my vocabulary, hahaha!
Fastfingaz - yep, definitely SAG and organized ride over two days.
Old 04-19-15, 08:59 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Took me 6 months to go nearly cold start on a back to back century. I'd come off 4-5 years on on and off ER visits for arrhythmia. I completed fine. 6 weeks is tough. 12-13 hours at 12 mph gets you to 150 so just take it easy. So train easy, long easy miles. Real easy.
Old 04-19-15, 09:04 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I wasn't recovering from illness or a long layoff but I committed to doing a week long cycling event with friends. I started training late and became very discouraged. Then I realizied what was the worse thing that might happen if my training goals didn't materialize? I then took it easier and quit worrying.

The two things I did afterwards was just enjoy the time I spent riding and allowed plenty of time to rest before. The event come if perfectly. It will for you too.
Old 04-20-15, 08:51 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 541 Posts
Come on a ride with me. You'll kick my ass. There is no way I'm even getting close to 150 miles in 2 days.
Old 04-20-15, 08:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
150 miles ? leisurely 3 days of 50 miles each perhaps?
Old 04-20-15, 01:59 PM
chainlink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jseis and stanSeven - thanks for encouragement. Glad to know I'm not * totally* nuts to embark on 2 day ride of 75 miles each day. Nice and easy is the key.
Old 04-21-15, 07:06 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
You can do it. There will be so much enthusiasm and energy all around you. Just enjoy each day and folks you'll meet.

I agree with the others. This ride is a celebration. Make sure to stop and take some photos to share here afterward! PG
Old 04-21-15, 07:11 AM
delcrossv

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
over 2 days? No worries. Take your time, make sure you eat and drink consistently (you may have to remind yourself to do this), and have fun. Best if you can tie up with some folks going the same speed you are, for companionship. I've ridden some charity centuries with a group of folks, and with all the conversation etc, it was over before I knew it.

Last edited by delcrossv; 04-21-15 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-21-15, 06:26 PM
chainlink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys are great. Love the encouragement even from the folks who'd never ride a long distance. You crack me up. I will definitely post pictures in June after I'm done riding.
Old 04-21-15, 08:27 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3597 Post(s)
Liked 3,420 Times in 1,945 Posts
Walking a couple hills on a 150 mile ride is no reason for shame. Ride as much as you can, walk when you have to, and have fun!
Old 04-23-15, 06:36 AM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Did you get the doc's ok for this? I had cancer and it took me a year and a half just to get back to feeling somewhat like my old self. And I was in my early thirties when I had it and recovered.

You know, you beat cancer. You proved more beating the cancer than you ever will by riding a bicycle no matter how far you ride.

Harv
Old 04-23-15, 01:54 PM
chainlink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi MNHarv,
i saw my doc this past week and was congratulated and encouraged to do this ride. I'm doing this ride for cancer research and that's giving me tons of motivation too. It is definitely a journey embarking on a ride and with everyone's good thoughts on this thread, I feel good about it. No matter how many hills I'll walk hahaha!
Old 04-23-15, 04:40 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
If your doc is ok with it, then enjoy every moment.

Harf
Old 04-23-15, 04:48 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Ask the doc if he'll join you!
Toughest event we've done is 325 miles in 3 days with 22,000 feet of climbing and finishing in Phoenix AZ at 103 degrees.
Third day was the easiest with 125 miles, some climbing in the beginning and nearly flat the rest of the way.
Oh yeah, we did it on our tandem!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Copy of Us on Co-Mo.jpg (100.1 KB, 3 views)