Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

650B x 2.2 Knobby Transition to 650B On & Off Road / Touring

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-18, 05:31 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

After reading about the benefits of the 650B, I'm thinking of simply swapping out the tires on my bike that came with 650B x 2.2s to a more suitable all-rounder, say a 35-37mm (BTW, I Just bought a pair of Conti Travel Contact Reflectives for my other tourer/shopper, aka the "TANK.")

The bike in question accommodates both 650B and also 700c rims. Swapping out the tires will save me from having to get an entirely new wheelset, AND tires...

The bike looks great and handles well with the filled out knobby wheels right now, but the tires are simply not suitable for my riding which is 75% road/urban 20% dirt path/gravel/road shoulder, 5% mountain.

My question is: While going with say, a 35-37mm touring tire, will the wheel well /diameter space be filled up with the prospective tire setup? If not, what course of action could provide a solution.

Again, thanks very much for all your help!
Old 03-01-18, 06:15 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 117 Posts
The common 650b all-rounder is 42mm or 48mm. 35-37 is often not recommended due to bottom bracket height drop as well as not feeling very good to most riders. Going from 650bx2.2 to a much smaller tire will leave you with an excess of space around the stays and fork blades. This is often filled/hidden by using fenders, there is no other solution as it's often seen as a non-problem.

In your shoes I would get the Schwalbe Big One or G-One in 2.35 or 2.00. Will fill the bike nicely and ride very well compared to knobbies.
Old 03-02-18, 12:17 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Know what your BB drop is? Agreed, that is probably the biggest issue.

Open UP has some reading on this: https://opencycle.com/UP

I was in your situation, and got the Schwalbe G-One 2.35. Amazing tire - super low rolling resistance. Great on all kinds of surfaces - as long as I'm not going off road in the wet (they are horrible on mud or wet grass).
Old 03-02-18, 01:04 PM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
The fatter lower-pressure 650b tires would be highly desirable for tubeless setup in puncture-prone areas. 2.1 tubeless tires are also no heavier, and often lighter than skinnier higher pressure tires. MTB rims also weigh less because skinny higher pressure road rims have to be more sturdy. It seems to me that 2.1 is the ideal tire for gravel and 40c x 700 is just an inheritance from cx bikes, less than ideal unless you intend to run lightweight fat tubeless slicks like the new Gravel Kings. The idea situation would be two separate wheelsets, one for 38mm tubeless slicks and the other for 2.1 tubeless Schwalbes. The prospect of running comfortable 40c-ish tubeless lightweight slicks on roads is a new and very exciting development but there is still a small weight penalty compared to normal road tires. Maybe that will eventually change.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 03-02-18 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-03-18, 02:00 AM
biggus duckus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WTB is absolutely killing it with their Road-Plus lineup. I have the Byways and and I love them.
Old 03-03-18, 03:18 AM
Facanh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wish I could fit that big of a tyre!

If I was you I would probably get something in 650x47. Small knobs or slicks.

For example WTB Horizons, Panaracer GravelKing SK or slicks, Schwalbe G-One Speed in 50mm.

If you have knobby MTB tyres right now these should feel quicker but still provide plenty of comfort. 35-37mm would be a bit too small, the tyre selection in that width in 650b is not the best either, and big tyres are fun.