Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Child seat: regular bike vs. Yuba/Xtracycle

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 07-29-18, 11:14 AM
capthindsight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My daughter is getting close to the age where she can safely ride in a child seat on a bike. I'm deciding between putting a rear child seat on a regular bike (something like a Yepp Maxi) or springing for a longtail cargo bike like a Yuba Mundo or an Xtracycle, also with a Yepp. It seems the longtails are much more stable for loading/unloading with just one adult, which would be really handy. What are people's experiences with using a child seat on a regular bike? Is it preferable to have two adults? Part of the use case would be picking up from daycare after work, so I can't always count on a second adult being available to help.
Old 08-01-18, 04:15 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 5896 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 723 Posts
Most people here, where cycling with babies is very common, use a normal sturdy step through or top tube upright bike, with a double kick stand and a device to stop the front wheel from swinging while on the stand, with a front seat which is nicer for both the child and the parent. I guess stability is more about weight distribution, trail, swept handlebars and the leverage of the upright posture than about wheelbase. Due to the nature of cycling here any bike significantly longer than the majority is a bit impractical, but I've never understood why anyone with less than four children or other specific cargo would want to ride an extra long bike.

Nothing wrong with help, but I believe you should be able to load and unload by yourself, which isn't that hard.
Old 08-09-18, 07:59 PM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
B'twin/Ursus has an extra wide stance double leg stand. I used it before and it is very stable.

Old 08-16-18, 03:30 AM
KeithMcPherson

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by capthindsight
Is it preferable to have two adults? Part of the use case would be picking up from daycare after work, so I can't always count on a second adult being available to help.
It's okay with 1 adult, nothing too difficult.
Old 08-18-18, 10:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
And...

[FWIW] Topeak Child seat rack combination is made to allow easily removing
the kiddy seat when not required..

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/child-carrier
Old 08-18-18, 10:58 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I've seen several people who were very happy carrying kids on a cargo bike.

How old is your daughter?

I wonder if there would be an age difference. I think of kids in child seats as being young. 2 years old? While those on cargo bikes a bit older... 3 to 5?

At some point you'll have to decide what is next. Something like a WeeHo, or some kind of pedal trailer? Even if the kid doesn't provide a lot of power, every little bit counts.

Or, get the kid onto her own bike as soon as possible.

Anyway, thinking about what is coming next may help you choose what you wish to do now.
Old 10-08-18, 12:11 PM
Carpethediem

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Thule Ride Along child seat. It works great from when my kid was 9 months to now which is 2.5 years old. The restraining belts made me feel at ease but now she's at the point where she likes to move around and dance in her seat. With that, the bike starts to feel top heavy. I don't trust her to sit on her own on a cargo seat. I went out and bought a Burley trailer and she's been loving it. More room and she can have her dinosaurs and snacks back there with her.
Old 10-12-18, 12:15 PM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
My wife used a regular bike child seat when our youngest son was <2 and the older two (3/4) were in a bike trailer. All she had was a typical women's hybrid bike and a single kickstand. I think some of this is going to be about weight with my wife weighing enough (don't tell I said that) to overcome the added weight of the child seat riding high on the bike. Up until our daughter was 6ish, I had her on a Yepp Maxi on my longtail and as long as she was ahead of the rear axle, I had no issues even if she was leaning over or moving around. Again I have the weight (I'm just inside the range to be considered a Clydesdale) to overcome her weight moving around. For someone more on the petite side, a lower center of gravity setup would be more ideal. Bikes like the more modern longtails using 20" tires or bakfiets style bikes.
Old 02-07-19, 04:06 PM
VastCrew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just used a basic road bike and had the Topeak Seat as mentioned above. My kids where able to comfortably ride in the seat at about 10 months. The seat is fairly simple to put on and take off if you'd rather ride without it. My kids seemed pretty comfortable and often fell asleep. I felt that it adjusted well to a growing child and secured them rather well. I didn't have issue with being the only adult loading and unloading.
Old 06-26-19, 02:09 PM
Steven_04

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Our first child were used a trailer until she was old enough to ride on her own, then next child wife wanted to try ibert, it's kinda a pain on some bikes (the child goes where you stand during dismount) but the kid loves it, so I guess it's worth it
Old 06-30-19, 10:15 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Do you foresee the long tail cargo bike useful after the child has out grown the kiddie seat ?

afterwards you could rig up a 2nd seat, handlebars and foot platform/pegs on a long tail ,
to let them continue to ride back there for many years..
Old 07-01-19, 09:21 AM
metz1295

Bikes: '97 Cannondale M500; '14 Specialized Secteur Compact; '21 Trek Roscoe 7

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I was not a fan of child seats on bikes. I preferred a trailer. My thought was if the child is in a seat and something happened that I crashed, then the child would crash also. In a trailer, the bike will rotate around the hitch making it a lot less likely that the trailer would roll over. Also, you'll get many many years out of a trailer. A seat is really only good until the child is 4 or 5. I used our trailer till the child was 7. And the trailer can be a gear hauler once the child moves to a trail a bike or is riding on their own.

Look at my profile pick. The trailer works well if the child falls asleep. We made many trips to a park carrying child and picnic stuff in the trailer. Junior gets playground. Daddy gets his bike time. Junior naps on the way home.

My 2 cents