Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone tried this before?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-18, 07:43 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts

I'm playing around with retro-modernizing an old Schwinn Passage that I've been enjoying riding. It's currently got a 7sp cassette riding on a modern freehub (ie: 10sp compatible) with 7sp downtube shifters. I am finding that I've grown just too accustomed to shift levers on the bars so have a set of 8sp Campy Ergopower that I'm intending to put on there, since Campy 8sp spacing is the same 5mm per gear as 7sp... But, that big spacer for the 7sp cassette got me thinking, has anyone gone and just slipped an extra 7sp cog and spacer onto the freehub and made an imitation 8sp Campy cassette? Width-wise the math says it should work, right? Is there anything I'm overlooking that would prevent this from happening? Yes, I've got the appropriate Campy rear derailleur.
Old 07-31-18, 08:11 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,083 Times in 304 Posts
Do you want to avoid the spacer aestethically or are you worried about getting the chain on the spacer on the 8th click? If the latter - no need for the 8th cog. Just set the outer and inner limits for the derailleur in normal manner and the derailleur stops there. You will have one "click" too many at the ergopower and I would set it up starting on the second gear-click - avoiding excess cable slack if you happen to use a click too much.

Last edited by styggno1; 07-31-18 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-31-18, 08:20 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
Do you want to avoid the spacer aestethically or are you worried about getting the chain on the spacer on the 8th click? If the latter - no need for the 8th cog. Just set the outer and inner limits for the derailleur in normal manner and the derailleur stops there. You will have one "click" too many at the ergopower and I would set it up starting on the second gear-click - avoiding excess cable slack if you happen to use a click too much.
There will be no extra click if you set it up correctly. Cable tension won't allow it. Do not start at the second gear click.
Old 07-31-18, 09:18 AM
Caliper

Not worried about dropping the chain, I do trust my limit screws! The spacer does put the cassette far out and results in the chainline being biased toward the larger cogs. Adding another cog (which would be an in-between on the outboard end) would move the chainline more where it should be while also using all the clicks on these Ergopower levers. Yeah, I know I could also get a longer spindle on the crank, but this way just seems cooler.
Old 08-02-18, 09:02 AM
Caliper

Well, I went ahead and ordered a second cassette off eBay to give it a shot. 7sp parts are affordable enough, especially when 8sp Campy freewheels aren't.

Guess I'd better get those ergo levers assembled...