Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Presta or Schrader?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Presta or Schrader?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-18, 04:43 AM
Ivan Grozny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Presta or Schrader?

Bought a set of 27 inch Weinman rims for a restoration I am doing, not sure which of the 3 bikes these will end up on yet and they are nice rims at a decent price so I may buy more sets of them. They come drilled for Presta valves and my intention was to drill them out for shraders but I thought I may be unfairly biased agaist the presta valves having never tried them. So at the risk of starting a s#%&storm, what do people with more experience think?
Old 08-04-18, 05:14 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Presta is besta
Old 08-04-18, 05:24 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivan Grozny
…. I thought I may be unfairly biased agaist the presta valves having never tried them.
You are correct! Part of C&V is trying out the differences. You may wish to go 100% presta afterwards.
Old 08-04-18, 05:30 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Presta valves have one design feature different from Shrader valves. A Presta valve is held closed by air pressure, not by a spring in the valve. (The little locking nut on the top of the valve stem is just a backup of sorts.) Hence when you pump it up you don't have to overcome the spring pressure being added to the air pressure you are trying to push into the tire. It's a small detail, but good bikes are made up of many small details. Presta valve stems used to be threaded for a knurled collar to lock it down lightly onto the rim. This helped stabilize it and took any downward force of your hands when you are pumping. Nowadays threaded stems are becoming scarcer as deep-V rims become more common. If you want to be able to fill a Presta valve with a Shrader pump you can use an adapter, small, light, cheap.

At least one C&V regular has posted of his strong dislike for Presta valves. I could never understand it though. Prestest is bestest.
Old 08-04-18, 06:02 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Presta valves have one design feature different from Shrader valves. A Presta valve is held closed by air pressure, not by a spring in the valve. (The little locking nut on the top of the valve stem is just a backup of sorts.) Hence when you pump it up you don't have to overcome the spring pressure being added to the air pressure you are trying to push into the tire. It's a small detail, but good bikes are made up of many small details. Presta valve stems used to be threaded for a knurled collar to lock it down lightly onto the rim. This helped stabilize it and took any downward force of your hands when you are pumping. Nowadays threaded stems are becoming scarcer as deep-V rims become more common. If you want to be able to fill a Presta valve with a Schrader pump you can use an adapter, small, light, cheap.

At least one C&V regular has posted of his strong dislike for Presta valves. I could never understand it though. Prestest is bestest.
The difference IS in the detail. That's how you tell the winners from the also-rans. Besides, only the proletariat would use schrader.
Old 08-04-18, 06:11 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Ha ha I use both - because I would never drill out a C&V rim - you can't drill it back.
Whatever the rim came to me with is A-OK.
Old 08-04-18, 06:11 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked 6,684 Times in 2,609 Posts
Woods.
Old 08-04-18, 06:57 AM
Ivan Grozny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the rims are actually modern manufacture aluminum, but I get the picture. The noreversable part of drilling them out was what inspired my asking for opinions in the first place. Truthfully I wasn't expecting such a one sided response. If it turns out I really like the system is there a bushing that allows the use of Presta valve tubes on shrader rims. All my other bikes have shrader valve rims, my ebike is a real pia for the rear because of how deep the rim is thread on presta would solve that issue.
Old 08-04-18, 07:33 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I like Presta, but do have some bikes with Shrader and Woods (Dunlop) valves that I keep original. I did switch the tubes on my trike to Presta, using small collars made for that purpose. The primary reason is that my pump works better with presta valves. I would advise against drilling out a very narrow rim because you could weaken it.
Old 08-04-18, 07:38 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
You can use presta, and screw on a Schrader adapter if you prefer it.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-04-18, 07:53 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Presta valves have one design feature different from Shrader valves. A Presta valve is held closed by air pressure, not by a spring in the valve. (The little locking nut on the top of the valve stem is just a backup of sorts.) Hence when you pump it up you don't have to overcome the spring pressure being added to the air pressure you are trying to push into the tire. It's a small detail,
If this were true it would be a major issue since overcoming that spring pressure would be almost impossible with a hand pump. But the spring is pushed open by the little nub in the pump head so there is no 'spring pressure' to be overcome by your pumping.

Really very little difference in function between the valve types. Both maintain high pressures perfectly well. The smaller diameter of Presta could be an advantage with the very narrowest rims but almost all rims have enough material that they can safely be reamed to the larger diameter Schrader hole. Presta valved tubes are a bit easier to empty completely of air so they can be compactly rolled up, but Schrader valves are more robust and harder to inadvertently damage

Last edited by prathmann; 08-04-18 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-04-18, 08:02 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
I don't have a preference.

Everything I had used to have Schrader- so that's what I used. After getting a few bikes/rims with Presta- that's what I used.

Both of my pumps have both Schrader and Presta attachments, so it's no real deal either way.

Someone here posted that I was a dork because I use the caps on the valves.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-04-18, 08:59 AM
Ivan Grozny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you also have dorkrings on your bikes?
Old 08-04-18, 09:03 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Someone here posted that I was a dork because I use the caps on the valves.
Weight Weenie???

The dork is the fool who gets crud in their presta valve and can't get the tube to hold air while trying to pump up a tire on the road. Been there, done that several times years ago! Now I always screw on the caps.

Used to remove the dust caps on cranks too because they looked Fred and weighed a few grams. Trying to remove hard impacted crud from the extractor threads is dorky too.

Handsome is as handsome does.

Getting back to Schrader vs. Presta, I'm going through a bike that I'm gifting someone. A previous owner had drilled out the rims for Schrader valves.

When I got the bike I used aluminum bushings for presta valves when I installed new tires and tubes so It wasn't a problem for me. Those adapters can cause leaks to develop at the valve stem unless care is taken when replacing a tube.

A solution is to take an old tube and cut off about a 1" section then punch about an 8mm hole through it with a leather/gasket punch. I slide that over the presta valve stem and it solves the problem. Been using that technique for 45+ years.

I replaced the Presta tubes with Schrader tubes to save my friend some future hassles.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 08-04-18 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-04-18, 09:14 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Presta >>>>> Schrader

Lighter
More compact in a spares kit
Better-looking
Less force required when attaching quick-release pump head
Removing air is easier
Old 08-04-18, 10:23 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
My general rule is Schrader valves for upright handlebars & bigger tires. Presta for drop handlebars and skinny high pressure racing tires. Presta valves are superior to Schrader valves.

Make sure drill bit is sharp and dip the tip in oil before drilling out a wheel. Use a lower speed and light pressure. File off burrs.
Old 08-04-18, 10:49 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 94 Posts
the rims are actually modern manufacture aluminum, but I get the picture. The noreversable part of drilling them out was what inspired my asking for opinions in the first place. Truthfully I wasn't expecting such a one sided response. If it turns out I really like the system is there a bushing that allows the use of Presta valve tubes on shrader rims. All my other bikes have shrader valve rims, my ebike is a real pia for the rear because of how deep the rim is thread on presta would solve that issue.
I use Schraeder-drilled rims with the Presta adapter on my touring bikes. That way, I can use either type of tube if necessary. But I will always use Presta tubes if available.
Old 08-04-18, 10:59 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Whatever the rim came to me with is A-OK.
This.
Old 08-04-18, 11:50 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Woods.
the rims are actually modern manufacture aluminum, but I get the picture....
nlerner was actually referring to a 3rd valve type, the Woods, also known as the Dunlop.
Old 08-04-18, 12:12 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
BITD I was told that Presta valves are for light weight, skinnier rims. The hole is smaller, therefore more material.

I just looked this up in wikipedia, so of course it must be true.
Old 08-04-18, 01:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Matters not to me. My road bike has Presta. My hybrids have Schrader. I don't care, both work fine.
Old 08-04-18, 01:39 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Not sure, but I think the small diameter Presta valve heads make it easier to pump tires to higher pressures than the bigger diameter Schraders......
Old 08-04-18, 03:10 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
My first road bike came with Presta valves as it had tubulars.
I heard dire warnings. No problem.
Actually easier to fit a hand pump end or attach a foot pump end in my view.
One bike with Westwood valves. The kind of half way design.
As mentioned earlier, the threaded valve stems make initial filling of the tube/tire easier as things stay in place.

I would not want Schrader valves with many if not most hook bead rims.

My original Ritchey mtb came with Schrader valves, bought the inserts and converted to presta right away, only one type of pump system needed.

My only lament is not all presta valves have removable cores, those were a later invention.
Old 08-04-18, 03:57 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Presta and Shrader are both fine. Presta requires some fine motor skills to work that some people apparently never develop. My fleet has both.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-04-18, 06:36 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
BITD I was told that Presta valves are for light weight, skinnier rims. The hole is smaller, therefore more material.

I just looked this up in wikipedia, so of course it must be true.
These advantages are incontrovertible. They are why we Presta.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.