Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Freewheel on track hub question

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 04-14-19, 11:45 AM
Shinkers

Bikes: '88 Trek 1200, '91 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Sorry, this is on a mountain bike but this particular gets more traffic and has people who know what they are talking about on it...

I have a fixed/disk mountain hub on my bike from a fixed gear experiment that didn't last long. I ended up putting a 17t White freewheel on it and have been riding that up to this point. I've done a lot of reading on here, and it seemed that the consensus was that there is no problem running a freewheel on a track hub, despite the fact that there are fewer threads engaging the freewheel on a track hub.

My question is, is there a limitation to this? I'm wanting to puss out and put a 23t freewheel on this bike (for personal reasons), but I'm wondering how the threads will hold up to the additional leverage they'd be seeing from a cog that big.

The hub is a Paul, which I'd think is pretty good quality.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-19, 12:24 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
The threads won’t really see any additional stress from a larger freewheel. It can literally only be threaded on so tight. Once the threads are engaged, they are engaged. The size of the sprocket by itself, is of no consequence. Not a lot to calculate here. you will reduce the stress on your hubs axle though, so that’s a benefit. There’s no issue. If it makes you feel any better, I’ve ran a 21t freewheel on a dura ace track hub (80 gear inches) with no issues.
Old 04-14-19, 04:24 PM
Shinkers

Bikes: '88 Trek 1200, '91 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Perfect. Thanks!
Old 04-17-19, 10:47 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I am curious what cats have to do with larger freewheels? Are you going to lay the freewheel out in a nice sunbeam and feed it lasagne?

If you were referring to puss as in a slang term for part of the female anatomy used to refer to being "weak" or "scared" might I turn your attention to Missy Giove! I highly suggest watching videos of her "puss"ing out during her downhill domination through many broken bones. If you want someone more modern who "puss"'d out so much she was the UCI DH world championships only 5 times amongst many other wins. Anne-Caroline Chausson puss'd out even more to get 13 UCI world champ jerseys in mountain biking. I could go on naming more folks who "puss" out but I think you get the idea.

Back to hubs and freewheels, good combination. I love Paul and White Industries and use their stuff all the time including hubs and freewheels.