Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 09-05-19, 07:49 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts

A news article also indicated he needed facial reconstructive surgery:
https://www.kyma.com/news/cyclists-r...own/1079075565

If you start going frame by frame right before the impact (hotkeys for YouTube are the period and comma keys), you will notice the motorist wasn't even looking at the cyclist. They were looking straight ahead with their hand up, which presumably was to block sunlight. While I can buy the excuse the sun as in their eyes, it's still not an accident. If you can't see, you slow down enough to adjust for the conditions. A person is going to be royally messed up for the rest of his life because someone else didn't have the patience to exercise what they learned in driver's education.

This is also why I get a little tired of hearing education as the answer to all our problems. It serves a useful purpose, but it only goes so far. Motorists do this stuff all the time because they don't fear the consequences. Our penalties are a joke, and we don't even require proficiency testing every so often. Seriously, why is it an unreasonable expectation that one be required to retest on the road every 5-10 years?
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 09-05-19, 09:02 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
I'd be riding on the shoulder instead of the fog line.
Old 09-05-19, 09:19 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Originally Posted by trailangel
It's not the clearest picture with the 720p video, but you can make out the rumble strips. The rest of the asphalt doesn't look the smoothest or cleanest either, so I can see why the cyclist chose the traffic lane.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 09-05-19, 09:43 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
It's good that he survived this. It looks like it may not have been a direct hit, but instead a grazing hit on his left side. A few inches more and it would have probably been fatal.
Old 09-05-19, 10:05 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Here.

-mr. bill
Old 09-05-19, 12:15 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
Seriously, why is it an unreasonable expectation that one be required to retest on the road every 5-10 years?
Do you actually believe that a periodic test would have prevented this?
Old 09-05-19, 12:51 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Originally Posted by sarhog
Do you actually believe that a periodic test would have prevented this?
Note the clever sophistry here. A loaded question is being used to suggest that a specific incident already in the past could not be prevented by a wide-sweeping measure.

We all know 100% of crashes can't be eliminated. What we can say is a population with higher average proficiency would be a lot less likely to causes these kinds of incidents. The alternative is stay the course and ticket the drivers who happen to get caught after the fact. However, it's also known that an ounce of prevention is worth far more than a pound of cure.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 09-05-19, 01:08 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Note the clever sophistry here. A loaded question is being used to suggest that a specific incident already in the past could not be prevented by a wide-sweeping measure.

We all know 100% of crashes can't be eliminated. What we can say is a population with higher average proficiency would be a lot less likely to causes these kinds of incidents. The alternative is stay the course and ticket the drivers who happen to get caught after the fact. However, it's also known that an ounce of prevention is worth far more than a pound of cure.
Agreed. And a case can be made, as usual, by looking at countries that have much stricter rules about obtaining and keeping a drivers' license, but let's pretend it wouldn't have done anything for this case and not change anything at all!

I don't get that mentality, but it's all too common.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 09-05-19, 02:09 PM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Last edited by SactoDoug; 03-05-20 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-05-19, 02:31 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I am not sure the word "rear ended" is appropriate here. Hit. Run down. Bludgeoned. Those all come to mind.

Driver will barely get a pee pee smack unless they were drunk.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 09-05-19, 03:23 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Terrifying!
Old 09-05-19, 03:33 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
They were looking straight ahead with their hand up, which presumably was to block sunlight. While I can buy the excuse the sun as in their eyes, it's still not an accident.
I agree...

One of the problems with the rumble strips is that if one is to the left of the rumble strips, one can't easily move right when traffic comes up behind.

The other thing is that the cyclist must also be aware of the sun in the eyes problem.

If the cyclist can't see, then the drivers behind him also can't see (so, proceed with that in mind).

That is a high speed, 4 lane hwy... One of the types of roads that I try to avoid. But, if I have to ride one, then I try to get as far away from the cars as is practical.

I do ride skinny tires, but that might be an argument to go fatter if it is part of a regular route (and the shoulder is rough, hard to tell from the video).

During low traffic times, I'll often ride close to the white line, or sometimes in the lane, but move over when cars approach (which the rumble strip precludes).

I've ridden rumbles... downhill, they can be really bad.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 09-05-19, 03:46 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I wonder if the cyclist saw it coming. Maybe not, as he did not appear to be moving right prior to impact.

I use a mirror and monitor every overtaking vehicle. I really can't imagine not doing so.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 09-05-19, 04:18 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I wonder if the cyclist saw it coming. Maybe not, as he did not appear to be moving right prior to impact.

I use a mirror and monitor every overtaking vehicle. I really can't imagine not doing so.
It depends on the mirror and how often you check. I use one, and I would not have seen this one coming. A lot of folks have already chimed in that they would avoid this road, which makes me wonder if the statistics for getting rear-ended are already mitigated by avoiding the issue entirely.

I too went frame by frame @JW Fas , and I saw the driver putting her visor down, not shielding with her hand. I also saw the cyclist with his face to the pavement, mercifully unconscious at that point.

Last edited by Unca_Sam; 09-05-19 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-05-19, 04:39 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
As a reminder: Don't read the comments.

I wonder how I can access the 55mph roads nearby, and with the narrow or soft shoulders, it just seems like you need to be done by 9 am on a weekend morning.
Old 09-05-19, 05:18 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts

me too... and I hate those rumble strips.
Likes For spdntrxi:
Old 09-05-19, 06:08 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I'm never comfortable riding into the sun, even without traffic behind. If I'm having problems seeing it's far worse as a driver. I'm lucky enough to have a number of alternate routes that minimize the low sun visibility factor and I take full advantage of them when necessary.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 09-05-19, 06:26 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts

Wide sweeping measure? A test every 5 years is a wide sweeping measure?
I can agree with you that a population with a higher driving proficiency would lower the risk, but IMO, a periodic test doesn’t raise proficiency.
Likes For sarhog:
Old 09-05-19, 07:21 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
While the driver is unquestionably 100% at fault here, I would under no circumstance be riding where that guy was riding. That shoulder didn't look that bad to me. Unless the shoulder is on fire, I'm to the right of the rumble strip.
Old 09-05-19, 07:48 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Originally Posted by sarhog
Wide sweeping measure? A test every 5 years is a wide sweeping measure?
I can agree with you that a population with a higher driving proficiency would lower the risk, but IMO, a periodic test doesn’t raise proficiency.
We could do it every year, but that might be overkill and place too much of a burden on state governments.
What in your opinion will raise proficiency? The way I see it the initial growing pains will be a wake-up call. People who fail their retests will lose their licenses until they pass, and that will affect their ability to get to their jobs that pay their bills. Ubers and taxis get expensive after a while.
Old 09-05-19, 09:39 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
I would have been right of the rumble strips.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 09-05-19, 10:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
It depends on the mirror and how often you check. I use one, and I would not have seen this one coming. A lot of folks have already chimed in that they would avoid this road, which makes me wonder if the statistics for getting rear-ended are already mitigated by avoiding the issue entirely.
The audio with the recording has a lot of bike noise, but I generally would have heard the car coming. Whether I would have reacted to it is another question. It is hard to judge lane positioning of an approaching vehicle. But, the car would have skimmed past the cyclist, had it not drifted to the right.

As far as where to go, that is a problem with being to the left of the rumbles. I find a bike is very difficult to control on rumbles between 20 and 30 MPH. One can control the bike somewhat at slower speeds, but it isn't comfortable.

Thus, one effectively is unable to react, should one realize that something is seriously wrong. One also can't move right when cars approach, then move back to clean pavement when they're gone.

I'm not saying to never ride on a road like that. Sometimes there isn't much choice. But, if one does, give as big of a buffer as possible between bike and cars.

Nonetheless, choose one's routes wisely.
Old 09-06-19, 06:02 AM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts

Proficiency usually has little to nothing to do with it. Being tired, speed, distracted, under the influence or all the above are usually the primary factors in traffic accidents.
Likes For Dr.Lou:
Old 09-06-19, 06:19 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Terrifying!
Thanks to @JW Fas for posting this video. I have posted about learning safety either by experience or vicariously, and this is the best training video I have seen about “bailing out.”
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
I haven't had to cross that bridge yet, but the mental plan is to bail right into the grass or apron of the hwy if there is one.
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Good luck with that plan
Originally Posted by noodle soup
This is what I was getting at with Deal4Fuji. You might see it coming, but there's little that can be done to avoid it in the time you have.

FTR, I have also been rear-ended by a passing truck.
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
It depends on the mirror and how often you check. I use one, and I would not have seen this one coming.

A lot of folks have already chimed in that they would avoid this road, which makes me wonder if the statistics for getting rear-ended are already mitigated by avoiding the issue entirely.
I’m an ardent mirror advocate. Many naysayers disparage the use of the mirror for the rare event as depicted above, just to avoid a rear end collision. IMO a mirror is more frequently used, and more valuable to monitor and anticipate road hazards:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…When I was hit from behind, it was on a wide, low-volume, well-lit residential road at about 9 PM in June, by a “distracted driver.” The route was so calm that I was not closely monitoring my rearward view. In fact, though perhaps I could have ditched the bike, I’m glad I didn’t see it coming if I was going to get hit anyways.

I once read a comment that one should practice doing "bunny hops" so at least you could jump a curb if present on your right.

Obviously that’s the ultimate use of a mirror, and now I monitor rearwards more frequently. So hopefully being aware of the situation behind, even when not in immediate danger, allows the rider to avoid a dangerous situation, even by pulling off the road. And other than my accident, I’ve never had the need to bail out.

IMO, besides routine monitoring rearwards with the mirror, a most important use is to make quick decisions when encountering an obstacle in front of you, such as a car door, pothole, car entering your path, etc. Can you immediately veer left?

Mirror threads are often popcorn threads, and I’m always dismayed when subscribers blithely write, often directed towards newbies, that you don’t need a mirror and it doesn’t help anyways. Why discourage such a simple piece of equipment? I’ve tried to think of the dangers of a mirror, and the best I’ve come up with is poking your eye with an eyeglass or helmet mounted mirror; or being too distracted by it, for example if you can’t really get used to it.

Personally, I use an eyeglass mounted Take-a-Look mirror that allows me to maintain a forward-looking head position with just a sideward glance to see the rear. I really don’t want to turn my head for an over shoulder glance away from the line of travel when speeding downhill on a pothole-strewn road with heavy traffic to my left and parked cars to my right. Furthermore, wind noise can sometimes obscure the sound of a passing car.

I find mirrors so easy to use, and so helpful that I wear both right and left (link).
So as a bailout training video, I have to consider how I would react to a quickly upcomimg car, and make the decision to bail, especially with an inhospitable shoulder.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-06-19 at 06:50 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 09-06-19, 06:29 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I keep thinking about this video.

First, there should be a requirement for all motorized vehicles to display a front license plate.

Yes, it seems that the cyclist have been riding to the right of the rumble strips, which would have provided a warning to drivers who drift...but we don't know all the details of that stretch of road. But even so, a vehicle shouldn't hit another slower vehicle in the roadway.

This made me think of a couple of roads I occasionally ride that have no practical shoulder. I ride with a take a look mirror which is wonderful for seeing traffic coming up behind me; but I wonder if I would have caught that car which seems to drift or swerve fairly close to impact. And even if I had, would there have been time to react and move out of danger.

Based on the video it seems as if the driver is looking into the sun. Did the cyclist have a rear light to help be seen? Would it have even helped?

Of course the driver has a lot to answer for, too.

What a chilling video.
Likes For BobbyG:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.