Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Old 10-14-19, 04:36 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 398 Posts
My 850 is a 1995. A few years before my son had handed up a Huffy mtn bike he did not want. That bike ended my multi decade hiatus from cycling. After I wore that out and learned that parts would not or could not respond to maintenance I started shopping via CL. Bought the 850 for only $50 as the shifters did not work and the big ring seemed to be mangled (several teeth ground down lower than the rest). I got the shifters working by flushing them with solvent and learned that the big ring was made that way to improve shifting. I did call the PO to explain and apologize .

Its been a great bike. I'm riding it the morning before work at the LBS (my one day per week). It now has 9 "stable mates" but has not been bumped out of the rotation. Drop bar conversion, thumbie said, r rack, Power Grips, kids bike clown horn. I like it.
Old 10-15-19, 09:44 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Far out Man! Lotta Freaks!
"Lotta Freaks"

Old 10-15-19, 10:49 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by roadsnakes
Hahaha! Thanks for the reminder.
How many here might remember this?
Old 10-15-19, 12:23 PM
roadsnakes

Originally Posted by Ballenxj
Alice's Restaurant

I can remember getting "buzzed" and seeing the movie with my buddies.

Likes For roadsnakes:
Old 10-15-19, 06:02 PM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Alice's Restaurant
Good lord! That brought back memories. And yes, I knew the words and the refrains, but the prelude story I'd forgotten except for the mention of the Group W bench. Thanks for posting the link, and bringing back a memento from my early teen years in California. Best time best place anywhere to be a teen during that era. It was a trip!

Last edited by momsonherbike; 10-15-19 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-16-19, 05:25 PM
Sportdog

Bikes: Trek FX2, Nishiki Tri-A, Univega Sportech

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sparkydog1725
New member here. 67 y/o male, 5'10" 235#. I have a new Huffy Cranbrook on the UPS truck for delivery this afternoon, along with an EyeGlow "Stylish Adult Road Bike Helmet." I haven't routinely ridden a bike for decades. Wish me luck.
I'm just looking for some mild exercise and a little fun in my neighborhood -- not going way across town or on busy streets. Do you folks ever carry pepper spray or "stun guns" while riding? I'm more worried about random dogs than random people bothering me. I think carrying my gun would be over the top and unwise for a lot of reasons.
I always carried a water bottle with a bleach mixture and used it on a couple occasions with aggressive canines. Never had a problem with either of those dogs a second time. 👍
Old 10-17-19, 06:31 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Just out of interest, how many guys here ride a lowstep or step-through bike or would consider one? A friend and I were discussing a new bike I'm considering and when I told him I'd get the standard diamond frame, he asked why and I couldn't give him an answer other than that it just "wouldn't be the thing to do." And I'll admit that it is difficult for me to kick a leg over my bikes without leaning them way over. My standard way of mounting is to put my left foot on the pedal, push off, and swing my right leg over, but I know that one of these days I'll catch my shoe on my rear rack or bag and take and embarrassing if not painful fall!

So what do you think? Are we still hung up on a step-thru bike being a "girl's bike"? FWIW, my friend has one of those "Day Six" step-thru cruiser bikes that he's converted into an e-bike with a wide seat and seatback. It handles like crap as far as I'm concerned, but certainly a different approach to cycling.

Last edited by DougG; 10-17-19 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-17-19, 08:13 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts

Black and white...
Old 10-17-19, 08:17 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Seemed to work out for me... the top of the bars was badly worn but the drops were just dirty and and then cork tape never seems long enough to do the job especially with gel pads.
Old 10-17-19, 10:32 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
Just out of interest, how many guys here ride a lowstep or step-through bike or would consider one?.
I do. When my daughter took off with my Cannondale Adventure bike ( with my permission ) I knew I had to get something. I tried a couple “girl’s” bikes but they still seemed pretty hard to get on/off of. I looked around for something even lower and also decided a IGH would eliminate almost all maintenance issues.

So I bought one of these:
Biria easy boarding 8

I’m on my fifth year riding it and still going strong. I got new slick tires after 2 years and lubed the hub then too. It’s quite comfortable for 25 miles which is about as far as I go. I’m 67. Oh, I see it’s out of stock. Bummer, maybe you can find one somewhere. Good luck.

Last edited by Joe Bikerider; 10-17-19 at 10:36 PM.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 10-18-19, 01:35 PM
roadsnakes

Originally Posted by momsonherbike
Good lord! That brought back memories. And yes, I knew the words and the refrains, but the prelude story I'd forgotten except for the mention of the Group W bench. Thanks for posting the link, and bringing back a memento from my early teen years in California. Best time best place anywhere to be a teen during that era. It was a trip!

Is Frankie passing Deadhead a number at the 50 second mark**********
'

Old 10-18-19, 01:41 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
"Alice's Restaurant" I own a copy of the album on vinyl. The 1st time I heard it was in a barracks at Ft Sam Houston,
texas in 1969 which added to the experience! I've seen a live performance by Arlo a couple of times.
Old 10-18-19, 02:20 PM
Ballenxj

Originally Posted by roadsnakes
Is Frankie passing Deadhead a number at the 50 second mark**********
'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm_G_DCJMmY
It would appear so, at the 57 second mark to be exact.
Old 10-18-19, 02:28 PM
roadsnakes

It would appear so, at the 57 second mark to be exact.

Actually the 52 second mark. LOL

Hard to tell, because Candy`s dancing distracts me! LOL
Old 10-23-19, 06:36 AM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Just out of interest, how many guys here ride a lowstep or step-through bike or would consider one? A friend and I were discussing a new bike I'm considering and when I told him I'd get the standard diamond frame, he asked why and I couldn't give him an answer other than that it just "wouldn't be the thing to do." And I'll admit that it is difficult for me to kick a leg over my bikes without leaning them way over. My standard way of mounting is to put my left foot on the pedal, push off, and swing my right leg over, but I know that one of these days I'll catch my shoe on my rear rack or bag and take and embarrassing if not painful fall!

So what do you think? Are we still hung up on a step-thru bike being a "girl's bike"? FWIW, my friend has one of those "Day Six" step-thru cruiser bikes that he's converted into an e-bike with a wide seat and seatback. It handles like crap as far as I'm concerned, but certainly a different approach to cycling.
I understand the embarrassment, but I would get one when the time comes, which it will as my hip arthritis advances. At 70 I do what works if I want to keep going.
Old 10-23-19, 07:37 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts

-
I wouldn't hesitate to ride one. Think it's becoming more "acceptable" (for lack of a better term) for a male to ride one. Mfr's are getting away from calling them "girl's or women's bikes"-looks like people are waking up to the fact that lowstep bikes have a place for riders, other than being female. Noone thinks twice about a woman riding a triangle "men's" frame, shouldn't be any different for a man riding a lowstep frame. At least you're out there riding-if one is needed, go for it!
Old 10-23-19, 03:58 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Why did they make a different frames for females in the early days anyway? Because they wore the ankle length skirts?
Old 10-23-19, 09:04 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Just thought I would put my post #8888 here in 65+.

Not to be morbid,
but
I once had a strong vision that when 88, it would be my year to check out.
20 years to party!

Last edited by Wildwood; 11-01-19 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-24-19, 03:24 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
We’re supposed to be too old to care what people think. Agree with bargeon - do what works best for you.
Old 10-24-19, 06:39 AM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Why did they make a different frames for females in the early days anyway? Because they wore the ankle length skirts?
Actually, women wore fashionable cycling "bloomers", not skirts. Reason for the "ladies" bike design was because it was "unseemly" (read this as "sexually suggestive") for a woman to "throw a leg over" a horse - which is why women rode sidesaddle - and that followed through to the mounting of bikes as well. Thus the step through was born (ie: to discourage a gentlemen from get all hot and bothered seeing a lady mount up.)

And now you know.
Likes For momsonherbike:
Old 10-25-19, 07:03 PM
Alloyboy

Bikes: Empire 3 speed. Resolution Get away mtb. 10 speed.Sekine. No rco. Mountaineer SL.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I like ladies step through frame design more and more now that my gimpy hip is beginning to bother me. Too many skiing tumbles as well as bike miles are slowly telling me I'm finally growing up. Giggle.
Old 10-26-19, 11:04 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I am 67 and thought I had been accepting getting older with grace. However, the past one and a half years I have really noticed a decline in my visual perception, balance, reflexes, coordination, dexterity and mental acuity; especially memory. I am ok with the aches and pains and I know that I am very fortunate to still be in pretty good health., but some of the above mentioned issues really get to me. I have depended on exceptional coordination and reflexes, and dexterity, and have found it very difficult to accept the degradation of them, even more so than the mental degradation. I just hope that I will get to where I can be OK with it and keep moving through life's stages.
Old 10-27-19, 06:31 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I am 67 and thought I had been accepting getting older with grace. However, the past one and a half years I have really noticed a decline in my visual perception, balance, reflexes, coordination, dexterity and mental acuity; especially memory. I am ok with the aches and pains and I know that I am very fortunate to still be in pretty good health., but some of the above mentioned issues really get to me. I have depended on exceptional coordination and reflexes, and dexterity, and have found it very difficult to accept the degradation of them, even more so than the mental degradation. I just hope that I will get to where I can be OK with it and keep moving through life's stages.
I'm 73 and ditto to all of the above, so thanks for summarizing what I'm pretty sure all of us are experiencing. To that I'd add general loss of strength and endurance, but I'm sure most of us are still in the top 10% of our age group.

Some of this was brought home to me the other day when I happened to take my hybrid-style bike onto a section of single-track to take a look at something. I'm not an MTBer and am not familiar with how to handle typical MTB-specific challenges, but I was surprised how shaky I was on one particular place that required threading a narrow off-camber line and going up a short slope with exposed tree roots. I made it, but wouldn't want to repeat the experience. Contrast this with my younger self who used to rip through the woods on a 250cc Husqvarna enduro bike, jumping logs, going off jumps, etc. at speed and not thinking anything of it!

By the way, age-related degradation of my skills is one reason why I gave up riding motorcycles 10 years ago and have not looked back.
Old 10-27-19, 12:50 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I'm 68 years young and i love riding my n=vintage steel bikes. the only problem I had with them was buying another one because it was something I'd like to have had thirty or forty years ago.

A few years ago I came across a bicycle shop out in the country. They had a lot od NOS stuff from the early to mid 1980s. I bought a number of NOS Uniglide cassettes, Dura Ace AX brake shoes, Shimano 600 pedal cleats, gum rubber hoods for my Shimano 600 Arabesque brake levers, and some other items. I have a pretty good stash of old school Deore components too including a complete Deore Deerhead groupset. I think I'm all set for parts for most of my bicycles until I go to that Great Bicycling Nirvana in the Sky. My gran dad live to be well over 100 years of age and thus I have a lot more years of bicycling ahead of me if I'm as long lived as he was,.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 10-27-19, 01:26 PM
Ballenxj

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I'm 68 years young and i love riding my n=vintage steel bikes. the only problem I had with them was buying another one because it was something I'd like to have had thirty or forty years ago.
And I understand exactly what you said here, but for me, this applies to a lot of different things. I too am 68.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.