Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Training with HR?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Training with HR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-12, 01:23 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Training with HR?

How many of you do it, and what do you do it for?

I am always in training, for no particular reason. I am so slow I don't even know why I bother.
Old 05-12-12, 08:47 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
What do you mean? Training with an HR monitor just for the heck of it so you know what your HR is, or HR-based training?
Old 05-12-12, 09:47 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Iwkmattkyt
Old 05-12-12, 12:12 PM
p2templin

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First it was speedometers, then cadence sensors, then HRMs, then power meters. Congratulations, you're on your way to better riding. My biggest suggestion would be a visit to local gyms, to see which ones can provide a metabolic assessment profile (MAP) test. This will allow you to determine YOUR heart rate zones, so the numbers on your HRM can have personalized meaning. I've done this several times, and have programmed my Garmin with my zone splits. Now, it shows me HR as a zoned number, i.e. 1.4, 2.1, 3.7 (the decimal is an approximation of where my HR is within the zone boundaries). I find this incredibly useful for managing my effort and training (along with all of the power meter goodies we have on our tandem...).
Old 05-12-12, 12:53 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by p2templin
First it was speedometers, then cadence sensors, then HRMs, then power meters. Congratulations, you're on your way to better riding. My biggest suggestion would be a visit to local gyms, to see which ones can provide a metabolic assessment profile (MAP) test. This will allow you to determine YOUR heart rate zones, so the numbers on your HRM can have personalized meaning. I've done this several times, and have programmed my Garmin with my zone splits. Now, it shows me HR as a zoned number, i.e. 1.4, 2.1, 3.7 (the decimal is an approximation of where my HR is within the zone boundaries). I find this incredibly useful for managing my effort and training (along with all of the power meter goodies we have on our tandem...).
My goodness. When I ride I just try to hit the no zone, and all is good.
Old 05-12-12, 08:23 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I found training with a hr monitor to be incredibly useful. I know my max hr, and I try to mix my rides and aim to hit the target zone. I have a few work-outs that I use, some for endurance, some for fat burning, and some for power/sprint. Even though I have a powertap aso, I use th hr monitor more. It's true, you ride slw to ride fast, if you can manage yourself and stay in the target zones.
Old 05-12-12, 09:56 PM
laserfj
Reasonably Slow...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdedes
Iwkmattkyt
K should be a b there, I think.
Old 05-13-12, 05:21 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by laserfj
K should be a b there, I think.
I stand corrected.
Old 05-13-12, 07:47 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
How many of you do it, and what do you do it for?

I am always in training, for no particular reason. I am so slow I don't even know why I bother.
Pcad? Dat you?

I use it, and it was really cool at first, but my stats are remarkably consistent. I do not race. It has lost its appeal for me, but plenty of others like it.
Old 05-13-12, 08:09 AM
denvertrout

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use one. It's a great tool for training, and it works well especially when on hills. I know that if I am at 173 bpm, I am about to max out and better not push further as I cannot sustain above that level. I cannot reach that range on the flats though, not sure why that is. I disagree with the notion to ride slow to go fast. I train hard in the limited time I have, and when I manage to ride with others I am always in the lead group. Going slow does not help my fitness level, and I am not concerned with the amount of fat calories I burn. I suppose if you ride everyday then recovery rides would be essential, but that is not my case. Not to mention, I mentally can't go slow.