Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Orphan Frame = New Build

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Orphan Frame = New Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-13, 09:30 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Orphan Frame = New Build

I was visiting Vancouver last weekend and stopped by a bike shop to kill some time. I found a orphan peaking out from behind some boxes, it was a Kona chromoly road bike frame and wouldn't you know it, it was my size. Not that I need another bike, BUT, it had a disc brake ISO mount which got me to thinking, this could make a nice bike for around town when I don't feel like wearing lycra and road shoes, or want to pedal the heavy mountain bike.

So now that the orphan has come home with me I've started to think about how I'd like to build it up. First is to find a 700c carbon disc fork, matte black preferred, but glossy okay. The drivetrain will be Campy thanks to friends who coverted me on a recent previous build. Finding CX disc wheels with a Campy hub isn't exactly easy, or should I say inexpensive, but there are some reasonable options. My biggest question, and reason for this post, is to solicit comments with respect to the component colors. I know this photo isn't the best, but I'll try to describe it. The frame is a dark gray fine metallic paint - sparkles in the sun. The logo outline is a muted gold with Kona in glossy black. The question in general is alloy or black? Accent colors? Saddle & bar tape colors? I know that everyone has their opinion - so I'm not expecting any kind of concensus. It would be nice to get some ideas though. If you have photos of your bikes, or suggestions that might spark some thought, I thank you in advance!

Old 04-17-13, 04:38 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
The nice thing about that frame color is that you can use almost any color you want. My CX bike has a matte dark gray finish. So, all black components for me.

BTW, nice find. Eagerly awaiting photos of the completed build.
Old 04-17-13, 05:49 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Nice! Looks like a good potential gravel grinder if it has good tire clearance. I agree with NOS88 that you could go either way with components and accents. Maybe base it on which components you find a good deal on. Looking forward to more pics as the project progresses.
Old 05-10-13, 11:21 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Who would have thought finding a carbon fork, 1-1/8" (not tapered), with ISO disc mounts would be so hard, assuming that you don't have $600 to spend on the fork. After hours online I finally found a fork made by Linskey.

The second challenge has been finding wheels with disc hubs and Campagnolo freewheel. With enough money you can find / buy anything, but this bike is definitely not being put together with that kind of money. Again afters spending hours online I found hubs made by Novatec - but who sells them? I can't find anyone online that sells the specific hubs I want. Sent several emails to various retailers and no luck. Even sent an email to the manufacturer with no response. And just when all hope was lost - I found the exact hubs I wanted on eBay. Hopefully what shows up at my door is what was advertised. I planning on using an older set of Mavic rims that I have and use them to build the wheels - thank you in advance to 2manybikes for help with this.

With these two components figured out - the rest seems to be falling in place. Campy Centaur 10s, Avid BB7 Road SL disc brakes, and a mix and match of miscellaneous parts kicking around the garage for the rest. Will post photos when things start to come together.
Old 05-11-13, 10:27 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I dodged the bullet last night.

Years ago (13 or 14) I bought a brand new Raleigh bike, took it apart and shared the wheels and components with a mechanic/employee of mine. Then I sent the aluminum frame to a custom painter friend of mine. The idea was to air brush the arch and St Louis skyline onto the foil shaped downtube. It never happened. I met the painter in a restaurant last night and he mentioned that he still has the frame. I told him to dump it in the recycling. Part of the reason we disassembled it in the first place was because it was a too small size for any of us to use.

Whew! I've been slooowly cleaning out the shop. Used most of my good spares to assemble a back up bike for my son. I already have one frame hanging in the shop that I have no idea what to do with yet can't bring myself to dump in the recycling. I definitely don't want another one.
Old 05-11-13, 10:49 AM
shadoman

Bikes: Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Cannondale ST400, Fuji Palisade, GT Timberline FS, Raleigh Technium 420, Schwinn Moab, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn Tempo, Specialized Sirrus Elite (aluminum), Specialized Sirrus Triple (steel), Trek 7.6, Viner Road Record

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 19 Posts
WHat Size RG ? And what brand ?
Old 05-11-13, 12:19 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by shadoman
WHat Size RG ? And what brand ?
I think it was a Raleigh R-700 although I don't remember for sure. It's a smallish frame, maybe a 52.
Old 05-11-13, 12:27 PM
shadoman

Bikes: Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Cannondale ST400, Fuji Palisade, GT Timberline FS, Raleigh Technium 420, Schwinn Moab, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn Tempo, Specialized Sirrus Elite (aluminum), Specialized Sirrus Triple (steel), Trek 7.6, Viner Road Record

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 19 Posts
well, darn. too small.
Old 05-12-13, 06:16 PM
phread59

Bikes: Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Grouch, a 52 woulda fit me just fine! Dang always a little late and a dollar short. I wouldn't mind another frame to make a gravel grinder out of. Poop.

Mark Shuman
Old 05-13-13, 10:33 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
My Soma Double Cross is about the same color. I went with black for the rims, stem, handlebar, tape and seatpost. I used silver, chrome and/or polished alloy for the derailleurs, spokes, and hubs for a little contrast;

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 05-13-13, 07:05 PM
h2oxtc

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
My Soma Double Cross is about the same color. I went with black for the rims, stem, handlebar, tape and seatpost. I used silver, chrome and/or polished alloy for the derailleurs, spokes, and hubs for a little contrast;

Thanks for sharing the photos - great job with the silver touches. I was similarly leaning to a silver groupset and decided on black in the end. I bought a red headset, and will have other small bits of red here and there. I'm hoping that it will be enough and not too much, and can always tweak things as I go. Are those Schwalbe Marathon tires? And what size are they?
Old 05-14-13, 12:00 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc
Thanks for sharing the photos - great job with the silver touches. I was similarly leaning to a silver groupset and decided on black in the end. I bought a red headset, and will have other small bits of red here and there. I'm hoping that it will be enough and not too much, and can always tweak things as I go. Are those Schwalbe Marathon tires? And what size are they?
These are Vittoria Randonneur Hyper (AKA Vittoria Voyager Hyper) in the 700x40 size. I also have Marathon Supreme on another bike, but like the supple ride and better rolling speed of the Vittoria. Both tires are very tough, with no flats in 1000 miles.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 06-02-13, 10:45 AM
h2oxtc

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I dodged the bullet last night.
As I've been trying to find parts for this build, I've been reflecting on your comments, and I have to admit if I could do it over I should have left the frame in the bike shop!

I've discovered that the Kona H-O-N-K-Y Inc frame is kind of an anomoly. It has true road geometry and is not particularly suitable to be built up as a cross bike. The rear stays have a 130 spacing and the chain stay length is "just" long enough to use 28c tires, although I can fit a 32 if I inflate the tire after the wheel is on the frame. Finding a Campy hub with 130 spacing was a challenge, athough CK and DT both have options if you can afford them. Finding a 700c carbon fork with a IS disc mount was another challenge.

The next N+1 will have a 135 rear hub spacing, slightly longer rear chainstay, and tapered head tube with integrated headset. This would open up the bike to a whole lot more options in terms of parts availability. All this said, the build is in progress, it will be my "alternate" road bike. I'm looking forward to seeing what the steel ride feels like compared to my Caad's. I'll update again when the bike is complete - hopefully in the next month or two.

Old 06-02-13, 10:52 AM
phread59

Bikes: Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What fork did you use? Kinda like to know.

Mark Shuman
Old 06-02-13, 02:22 PM
h2oxtc

Originally Posted by phread59
What fork did you use? Kinda like to know.

Mark Shuman
I initially was waiting for the Lynskey cyclocross fork, but they kept pushing off the availability date. I think it would have been a nicer fork.

The fork that I purchased is from Nashbar. Carbon Cyclocross fork with both Canti posts and disc. I removed the canti posts and will close the holes with M10 screws, either anodized red or painted. If there's a positive to this fork, it doesn't have all the gawdy graphics that some of the forks do. It's nice and clean. The color of the Linskey fork might have worked better with my frame .... but that's water under the bridge.
Old 09-26-13, 09:58 PM
h2oxtc

I finally finished building this bike - as commented above, it was a learning experience in many respects. My first wheel build, and my first road disc brake setup. Both had a learning curve - but then perhaps I'm a slow learner. My thanks to the BF friends who helped out. Probably the most challenging aspect was finding a 130mm rear disc hub for a Campy drivetrain. The most frustrating part of the experience was buying spokes based on the hub manufacturer's specs for hub diameter only to discover that the published specs are wrong and then to have to find / buy new spokes the right length. The first batch of spokes I purchased from Wheelbuilder.com - great service - the only downside was the outrageous cost including FedEx shipping and then the brokerage fees & duty. Let's just say that they became very expensive spokes that are sitting in the garage unused. The second set of spokes I purchased from La Bicicletta in Vancouver - not only did they cut and thread them to the length needed, they shipped them Canada Post Express - no brokerage fees, no duty, 1/3 the shipping cost of Fed Ex and 3 days faster.

Would I build a bike again - you bet. Except for one thing - I would probably have left this frame in the bike shop for someone else to purchase. Having said that, I haven't ridden the bike other than around the block - I might completely change my mind yet.

IMG_4875A by h2oxtc, on Flickr

Old 09-26-13, 11:33 PM
Velo Fellow

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sadly, there's a practical consideration. If this is a bike for city runs and stuff, then looking too flashy may not be best if you're going to lean it up against the window at Starbucks. "Scumbug-bicycle-thief" is all one word.

Hard not to like a bike with a real head badge. And real steel.
Old 09-27-13, 04:55 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Congratulations on overcoming the challenges of parts availability, and on learning a very basic rule of wheel building. Never trust published data, always measure.
Great build. I'm sure you'll love it.
Old 09-27-13, 06:24 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Your build looks great. Every time I do a build I learn something. I think it's one of the reasons some of us are drawn to this peculiar activity.

Your build looks great. Every time I do a build I learn something. I think it's one of the reasons some of us are drawn to this peculiar activity. BTW, I’ve successfully cold set 130 spacing to accommodate 135 on several occasions using Sheldon Brown’s method.

https://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

Oh, and your new build screams for a seat in this color scheme, not necessarily this brand or model, but the colors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
red and black seat.jpg (6.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by NOS88; 09-27-13 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-27-13, 09:00 AM
h2oxtc

Originally Posted by Velo Fellow
Sadly, there's a practical consideration. If this is a bike for city runs and stuff, then looking too flashy may not be best if you're going to lean it up against the window at Starbucks. "Scumbug-bicycle-thief" is all one word.

Hard not to like a bike with a real head badge. And real steel.
The fact that the frame was steel and was set up for discs were the two motivating reasons that I bought the frame. The color is nice too - the grey metallic sparkles in the sunlight.

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Congratulations on overcoming the challenges of parts availability, and on learning a very basic rule of wheel building. Never trust published data, always measure.
Great build. I'm sure you'll love it.
Sure learned that the hard way. Thinking I was saving time order parts at the same time - ended up taking longer having to buy new ones later.

Originally Posted by NOS88
Your build looks great. Every time I do a build I learn something. I think it's one of the reasons some of us are drawn to this peculiar activity.

Your build looks great. Every time I do a build I learn something. I think it's one of the reasons some of us are drawn to this peculiar activity. BTW, I’ve successfully cold set 130 spacing to accommodate 135 on several occasions using Sheldon Brown’s method.

https://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

Oh, and your new build screams for a seat in this color scheme, not necessarily this brand or model, but the colors.
I'd read about respacing the frame - it's certainly not something that I would try myself, and from what I learned chasing spokes, none of the LBS have a spoke treading machine, and only a couple have BB facing tools. I doubt that any of the shops have anyone "experienced" in re-spacing. The build-your-own bike segment of the market is not well supported here, or at least in our city.

As for the seat, I was hoping that I didn't already have too much red - although will consider the suggestion.
Old 09-27-13, 09:12 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc

Damn! That looks sweet. I like the details like the matching red anodized headset and chainring bolts.

PS. Looks like someone stole the license plate from your car.

Old 09-27-13, 10:51 AM
epiking

Bikes: '86 Miyata 1000, '85 Raleigh Elkhorn (retired), 2000 Specializer HardRock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice build...