Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Old man needs insight for first ride after 40 yrs

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-17, 08:27 PM
JohnnyB65

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi it’s been a while. I joined this forum in 2015 when I bought a cheap bike at a swap meet for something to do after I retired. Well it didn’t go so well because I got sick and ended up in a coma and it took a year and a half to recover. I had to use a walker for a long time after getting out of rehab and gave up on riding a bike until just recently now that I feel so much stronger.

I was given a mountain bike for free and took it in to have it tuned up and checked out. I just picked it up and I’m excited about taking it out tomorrow, but I need a helmet and a few other accessories. The helmet is a must because I haven’t ridden a bike in almost 40 years and I do not want to end up in the hospital again.

Anyway I don’t know if the rules have changed or what’s required anymore and I’m looking for some recommendations. I don’t really plan on riding at night at least right now, but I do want to purchase lights since the days are short.

So is there anything I might need besides a helmet? I’m turning 68 next week so I’ll be taking it slow. I might also add that I do not want to spend a lot of money just in case it doesn’t work out for me.
Old 12-13-17, 08:54 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Do you have any Greenway trails near you? I would start riding on a Greenway or Rails to Trail based on your age and health at this point. You do not want to have to mess with vehicles if you can help it. Night riding for me is only on a Greenway or Rails to Trail path. It says you are located in the High Desert of Southern CA, so maybe you have more isolated roads that would be safer. Or go to your local bike shop and see if any group rides are available. Going with a group makes things easier to deal with on public roads and highways.
Old 12-13-17, 09:04 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by themp
Do you have any Greenway trails near you? I would start riding on a Greenway or Rails to Trail based on your age and health at this point. You do not want to have to mess with vehicles if you can help it. Night riding for me is only on a Greenway or Rails to Trail path. It says you are located in the High Desert of Southern CA, so maybe you have more isolated roads that would be safer. Or go to your local bike shop and see if any group rides are available. Going with a group makes things easier to deal with on public roads and highways.
I've never heard of "Greenway trails", but we do have a lot of bike lanes everywhere at least in town.
Well I couldn’t wait until tomorrow and decided to give it a try around the neighborhood. Oh wow it’s going to be awhile before I can go out into the street. I’ve lost my balance ability and had a hell of a time just getting on the dam thing and getting off was another story. I sure don’t want to be seen in public doing that.
Old 12-13-17, 09:34 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Hi, if you can balance and get started, you've got most of this licked. Old legs just don't like to swing over the frame of a bike, you know, so getting on and off a mountain bike can be tricky at first.

Maybe you can find a step-thru bike til you get your skills back.
Old 12-13-17, 10:41 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Get out and ride in areas of little or no traffic to start with. Build up the miles slowly. Look for bike trails, MUT or MUP (greenway) there are no cars allowed on them. Then just enjoy the rides.
Old 12-13-17, 10:52 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Let's see. Bicycle... Helmet... Cycling Jersey... Cycling Shorts... Cycling Shoes... Cycling Leggings... Cycling Jacket... ???

Aw Heck, just get on your bike and ride.

If balance is a problem, also consider trikes and recumbent trikes.
Old 12-13-17, 11:36 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyB65
I’ve lost my balance ability and had a hell of a time just getting on the dam thing and getting off was another story.
Although I haven't had the long hiatus that you mention, getting on and ( even worse) getting off had become a real problem for me. I got tired of always having to find a post or wall to lean against. So I bought one of these:

Biria Easy Boarding

And four years later I'm doing great, riding regularly and thinking about an upgrade. Check it out, the Biria site has contact info for local dealers. Or you can buy it online and have it assembled by your LBS (highly recommended).

Last edited by Joe Bikerider; 12-13-17 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-14-17, 06:36 AM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
About the same situation for me. I have recently begun riding after some 30 years, the last half with Parkinson's. After getting surgery (Deep Brain Stimulation) last year, I am well enough to again ride a bike. I sold my beloved PX10 that I rode extensively from the early '70's to the '90's, so picked up an old Paramount to try again. What a blast! It truly is a second chance at life. Still struggle with getting off the bike gracefully, but all other riding skills are returning quickly.

First and foremost, make sure you have a bike that fits right. Ride when you can, at the speed you want. I used to ride hard and long, but now ride primarily for enjoyment. Of course I am already losing weight, feeling better, and experiencing the joy of riding a good road bike. Insert your favorite bike style.
Old 12-14-17, 06:52 AM
tclune

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
A couple of quick thoughts: First, a rear-view mirror mounted on your helmet is a handy accessory that costs almost nothing. And second, I lie my bike down, step over it, and lift it up. You won't impress young women when you do, but you're not likely to impress them any more anyway. If you decide to buy a new bike, a step through frame does sound like a good idea.
Old 12-14-17, 07:31 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The rules haven't changed in forever. Bikes have always been, and still are, treated as vehicles. Ride with the flow of traffic and following all traffic rules.

The helmet is a good idea not because you're just starting up again, but because sooner or later, ALL CYCLISTS WILL FALL.
Old 12-14-17, 09:01 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I went 35 years between bike rides, not quite at your age but I can relate. You don't really need anything else, so just ride. As you get more miles and fitness improves we enjoy it more, in my experience. Your balance and skills will most likely improve, and pretty quickly.

As for rules, around other bikers the best I can say is try to keep it straight, take the space that you need and don't be intimidated by faster riders. The worst thing I did starting again was trying to stay out of everyone's way, even when that meant taking just a little extra chances. Most of the older regular riders that I know are good at communicating with other riders, especially in a group, so that's something to emulate.

Mounting: just lean it towards you and step over the top tube.
Old 12-14-17, 09:11 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Well it didn’t go so well because I got sick and ended up in a coma and it took a year and a half to recover. I had to use a walker for a long time after getting out of rehab and gave up on riding a bike until just recently now that I feel so much stronger.
I'm glad you are still with us John.

Don't ever forget to have fun, especially on this first ride.

If you don't come back with a smile on your face then you are doing it wrong.

-Tim-
Old 12-14-17, 09:43 AM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was lying in bed thinking about this and I’m just stunned that I wasn’t able to throw my leg up over the bike. I spent months in physical therapy after coming out of the coma and balance was their top priority so it kind of scared me when I was wobbling around on the bike.

I used to ride everywhere in my 20s, but my bike was custom made for me. I didn’t have a car so I practically lived on my bike going grocery shopping, hauling my laundry around and also taking long trips with friends.

I got this bike for free and I’m sure it doesn’t fit me. I’ll be out $80 for the tune-up and new chain so I probably should have just bought a cheap bike from Walmart that does fit. I wouldn’t mind giving this bike away to someone who could use it, but I don’t want to just throw it away. So for now I’m going to keep trying but I may have to go out into the desert to avoid getting hurt if I fall.
Old 12-14-17, 11:28 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
To rebuild confidence and balance, find a large parking lot such as at a shopping center. Early in the AM and especially early on Sunday morning, you will have a large paved area to yourself to practice.
Old 12-14-17, 12:56 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Although I haven't had the long hiatus that you mention, getting on and ( even worse) getting off had become a real problem for me. I got tired of always having to find a post or wall to lean against. So I bought one of these:

Biria Easy Boarding

And four years later I'm doing great, riding regularly and thinking about an upgrade. Check it out, the Biria site has contact info for local dealers. Or you can buy it online and have it assembled by your LBS (highly recommended).
Thanks, that would probably be what I need at this point, but not ready to spend that much money until i'm sure I'll be able to do this.
The one thing I know I need is a wide seat for my bony butt although that might even make it harder to throw my leg over. I'm now thinking of trying my daughters bike for a while until I get my balance down. At least I don't have to worry so much having a girls bike stolen. There have been reports of guys getting knocked off their bikes to steal them and I see too many lowlifes riding bikes with backpacks probably looking to rob someone.
Old 12-14-17, 12:57 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
I was lying in bed thinking about this and I’m just stunned that I wasn’t able to throw my leg up over the bike. I spent months in physical therapy after coming out of the coma and balance was their top priority so it kind of scared me when I was wobbling around on the bike.

I used to ride everywhere in my 20s, but my bike was custom made for me. I didn’t have a car so I practically lived on my bike going grocery shopping, hauling my laundry around and also taking long trips with friends.

I got this bike for free and I’m sure it doesn’t fit me. I’ll be out $80 for the tune-up and new chain so I probably should have just bought a cheap bike from Walmart that does fit. I wouldn’t mind giving this bike away to someone who could use it, but I don’t want to just throw it away. So for now I’m going to keep trying but I may have to go out into the desert to avoid getting hurt if I fall.
JB65, I'd HIGHLY recommend NOT buying a bike from Wal-Mart, they are never assembled by a professional and they might look ok but they are basically "pot metal junk"!! Check with all the bicycle shops in your area and see if one of them sell "USED BICYCLES"! This will keep your costs down and you might be able to use your current "non-fitting" bike as a trade in for a used bicycle that FITS you better!!

Here's the minimum I'd recommend to get started: helmet, either cycling shorts or "padded bicycle underware", you can then use reg. clothes (don't ride in blue jeans), on bicycle air pump, spare tube, patch kit, all in one tool kit, water bottle and cage to hold it. riding gloves, handlebar rearview mirror. You'll need some kind of Seat BAG or a rear rack and bag to HOLD these things. IF your going to be on a STREET with traffic, I'd highly recommend a "flashing rear red light and flashing front amber light"!!!

I know it's a lot of stuff BUT you can get a lot of it at Wal-Mart to save some bucks, the accessories are fine at Wal-Mart, the bicycles are JUNK!! IF you need more help to bring back your balance, I'd see what the bike shop can recommend for "training wheels"!! I know it hard on the EGO but it's better than falling and getting HURT. JMHO, have a most excellent day!

Old 12-14-17, 01:01 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
JB65, I'd HIGHLY recommend NOT buying a bike from Wal-Mart, they are never assembled by a professional and they might look ok but they are basically "pot metal junk"!! Check with all the bicycle shops in your area and see if one of them sell "USED BICYCLES"! This will keep your costs down and you might be able to use your current "non-fitting" bike as a trade in for a used bicycle that FITS you better!!

Here's the minimum I'd recommend to get started: helmet, either cycling shorts or "padded bicycle underware", you can then use reg. clothes (don't ride in blue jeans), on bicycle air pump, spare tube, patch kit, all in one tool kit, water bottle and cage to hold it. riding gloves, handlebar rearview mirror. You'll need some kind of Seat BAG or a rear rack and bag to HOLD these things. IF your going to be on a STREET with traffic, I'd highly recommend a "flashing rear red light and flashing front amber light"!!!

I know it's a lot of stuff BUT you can get a lot of it at Wal-Mart to save some bucks, the accessories are fine at Wal-Mart, the bicycles are JUNK!! IF you need more help to bring back your balance, I'd see what the bike shop can recommend for "training wheels"!! I know it hard on the EGO but it's better than falling and getting HURT. JMHO, have a most excellent day!
Thanks!
Old 12-14-17, 01:30 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
First of all, don't use the term "old man" on this Fifty Plus forum...ever. "Oldish dude" is the closest wording you can use and even that's a bit sketchy too.

You've got good advice so far, especially in staying away from the Walmart bikes. Based on what you wrote about being wobbly I would perhaps suggest getting checked out to make sure that "wobbly" isn't caused by some lingering effect of your past health issue, i.e. vertigo or something. If it is, then you could be setting yourself up for an accident. If you're good to go, and the wobbly-ness is likely caused by all the years off the bike. I'd say get a decent bike, doesn't have to be high-dollar, get a helmet, then get out there and just do it. It will all come back in short order.
Old 12-14-17, 01:32 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
To rebuild confidence and balance, find a large parking lot such as at a shopping center. Early in the AM and especially early on Sunday morning, you will have a large paved area to yourself to practice.

Or a soccer field. It is softer than a parking lot.
Old 12-14-17, 01:55 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
When you refer to yourself as an old man, you've lost half the battle right there.

If you do start riding again, don't ride alone. Ride with someone who knows bikes. Make sure the saddle is low enough so if you have to put a foot down, you can. Be careful.
Old 12-14-17, 02:12 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
First of all, don't use the term "old man" on this Fifty Plus forum...ever. "Oldish dude" is the closest wording you can use and even that's a bit sketchy too.

You've got good advice so far, especially in staying away from the Walmart bikes. Based on what you wrote about being wobbly I would perhaps suggest getting checked out to make sure that "wobbly" isn't caused by some lingering effect of your past health issue, i.e. vertigo or something. If it is, then you could be setting yourself up for an accident. If you're good to go, and the wobbly-ness is likely caused by all the years off the bike. I'd say get a decent bike, doesn't have to be high-dollar, get a helmet, then get out there and just do it. It will all come back in short order.
Thanks for the advice. I did lose hearing in one ear from all the antibiotics and that may have something to do with with my balance issues.

Anyway I just got back from a little ride around the neighborhood after lowering the seat all the way down and I think I’m going to be able to do this. I had to remove the reflector and rear light to get it all the way down, but I definitely need a new seat so I’ll look for one that has a light and reflector built into the seat. The front handle bar seems to be a little low for me because I have neck problems and I’ll have to deal with that before going into traffic. Making a U-turn is a little difficult, but I am able to do it.

I’m just going to keep at it every day and I’m confident I’ll be able to overcome this. It’s just so amazing because when I came out of the coma, I could not walk or even feed myself and here I am riding a bike. Wow!
Old 12-14-17, 02:15 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
When you refer to yourself as an old man, you've lost half the battle right there. ....
Thanks, I realized that after I posted and I feel much better about it now.
Old 12-14-17, 02:22 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I did lose hearing in one ear from all the antibiotics and that may have something to do with with my balance issues.

Anyway I just got back from a little ride around the neighborhood after lowering the seat all the way down and I think I’m going to be able to do this. I had to remove the reflector and rear light to get it all the way down, but I definitely need a new seat so I’ll look for one that has a light and reflector built into the seat. The front handle bar seems to be a little low for me because I have neck problems and I’ll have to deal with that before going into traffic. Making a U-turn is a little difficult, but I am able to do it.

I’m just going to keep at it every day and I’m confident I’ll be able to overcome this. It’s just so amazing because when I came out of the coma, I could not walk or even feed myself and here I am riding a bike. Wow!
Good show, and I'm not kidding you just finished the hardest part.

Lowering the seat is good for the first few days while learning to balance, but as soon as you've got that down and can ride confidently while pedaling you'll need to raise it back up. I don't think he meant that the seat needs to be generally low enough to flat-foot on the ground, because that's not what we recommend.

If you wind up with a cruiser, with pedals more forward, then you do want the seat pretty low. Generally speaking though, when our knees stay bent too much riding with a low seat, it can cause pain and eventually injury in our knees.
Old 12-14-17, 02:23 PM
Nooner
If you brake you dont win

Bikes: Santa Cruz Bronson, Trek Remedy 9.8, Cervelo S3, Kona Big Honzo, Cannondale R500, DiamondBack Apex, one storage unit my wife knows nothing about, and one ball crushing unicycle for kicks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
No such thing as old men, just old bikes.
Start off slow and make sure you have good brakes, tires, and helmet.
Enjoy the ride, everything else will come to you.
Old 12-15-17, 02:34 AM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
If balance is a problem, also consider trikes and recumbent trikes.
I'm surprised somebody didn't mention this sooner, riding standard bike with balance problem seems dangerous. Trikes & recumbents cost more but not always exorbitant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.