Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living Car Free...The reality.

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 07-23-18, 08:55 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts

In a little less than a month I'm going to make 1200 mile journey from the Midwest to Colorado and then back. I'm taking a one week vacation from work with a friend. This is a fishing vacation where there will be some camping involved and few nights in a motel. By the time it is all done, I will probably have put 3000+ miles on my truck going there and back plus driving to different public access points on the river to fish. Some of which take a 4 x 4 to get to.

I have 9 days to get this all done. I will be hauling 2 coolers, 2 tents, a camp stove, lanterns, fishing gear, change of clothes etc. The back of my full size truck will be more or less 3/4 packed full with our gear.

If I was living car free, how would I accomplish this journey in 9 days and carry all the gear I need for my vacation?

Renting a car/truck isn't an option. Their business hours of operation don't work with my schedule.

Last edited by prj71; 07-23-18 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-23-18, 09:17 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Are you really asking a question here, or just pointing out how your choice and their choice have differences that must be dealt with? I mean, don't you already KNOW the answer to this "postulation"?
Old 07-23-18, 09:20 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
In a little less than a month I'm going to make 1200 mile journey from the Midwest to Colorado and then back. I'm taking a one week vacation from work with a friend. This is a fishing vacation where there will be some camping involved and few nights in a motel.

By the time it is all done, I will probably have put 3000+ miles on my truck going there and back plus driving to different public access points on the river to fish. Some of which take a 4 x 4 to get to.

I have 9 days to get this all done. I will be hauling 2 coolers, 2 tents, a camp stove, lanterns, fishing gear, change of clothes etc. The back of my full size truck will be more or less 3/4 packed full with our gear.

If I was living car free, how would I accomplish this journey in 9 days and carry all the gear I need for my vacation?

Renting a car/truck isn't an option. Their business hours of operation don't work with my schedule.
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Are you really asking a question here, or just pointing out how your choice and their choice have differences that must be dealt with? I mean, don't you already KNOW the answer to this "postulation"?
If you were LIving Car Free, you would be doing a different vacation...D'uh.
Old 07-23-18, 09:43 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
If you were LIving Car Free, you would be doing a different vacation...D'uh.
But I like trout fishing and camping in the western states. That is vacation to me. Since I don't live there I need a feasible way to get there and back to do that which I like to do within a 9 day period.
Old 07-23-18, 09:59 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
IMO, it would go something like this, then. This is assuming you are actually car free, have a bike you wish to take.

Ask your work friend if he has a car he is willing to take. Next, look into train/bus to the location you want to go and consider a central camping spot that you can ride from and back to every day. I would probably consider ditching some of the equipment in that case.
Theoretically you could look into a "service" like entity to take you there and pick you up. Enterprise and some taxi/limo services offer things like this, but am sure the cost over that distance would be pretty obscene.
Rent a u-haul one way, twice, or a car.

These above recommendations (once again) go on the assumption that you own a bike and have some experience at carrying goods with you. With a bit of slimming down and creative thinking about the "cooler" situation (or a trailer), the rest could be packed on racks and panniers.
Old 07-23-18, 10:28 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
IMO, it would go something like this, then. This is assuming you are actually car free, have a bike you wish to take.
I'm not car free.

Ask your work friend if he has a car he is willing to take.
He does have a car, but this year it's my turn to drive. He drove last year.

Next, look into train/bus to the location you want to go and consider a central camping spot that you can ride from and back to every day. I would probably consider ditching some of the equipment in that case.
There is no train / bus service to my destination. The town that is my jump off point nearest the area I plan to fish has a population of about 500 people. The closest bus station is 130 miles away up and over the mountains. I need all of the equipment I'm taking.

Theoretically you could look into a "service" like entity to take you there and pick you up. Enterprise and some taxi/limo services offer things like this, but am sure the cost over that distance would be pretty obscene.
Doesn't exist where I am going. If it did...yes the cost would be obscene.

Rent a u-haul one way, twice, or a car.
I need a high clearance 4 x 4 truck to get where I'm going. U-haul won't cut. A car won't cut it. And as I stated earlier...the rent a car options business hours aren't operational at the time I want to leave and the time I want to return the vehicle.

These above recommendations (once again) go on the assumption that you own a bike and have some experience at carrying goods with you. With a bit of slimming down and creative thinking about the "cooler" situation (or a trailer), the rest could be packed on racks and panniers.
I own 4 bikes. But all of my equipment I need for this trip wouldn't fit on racks and panniers. Plus a bike can't cover the distance in the 9 days I have to do this. I have 1 full of day of driving on each of end of this trip to get there and back. The in-between days are spent recreating.
Old 07-23-18, 10:43 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
If you were Living Car Free, you would be doing a different vacation...D'uh.
But I like trout fishing and camping in the western states. That is vacation to me. Since I don't live there I need a feasible way to get there and back to do that which I like to do within a 9 day period.
So I guess the title of your thread is misleading…Living Car Free is not a reality.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-23-18 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-23-18, 10:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
So there are some things people want/like to do that are not practical without a car.
Old 07-23-18, 11:56 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Perhaps car free is not for you.

/thread

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-23-18, 12:08 PM
prj71

Living Car Free...The reality.So I guess the title of your thread is misleading…Living Car Free is not a reality.
You are catching on quickly.
Old 07-23-18, 12:10 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by indyfabz
So there are some things people want/like to do that are not practical without a car.
Correct. But there is a segment of the population that thinks you should be able to do everything and go everywhere car free and don't see things from any other perspective.
Old 07-23-18, 12:13 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Hmmm...too bad about the lack of car rental agencies.

I've always rented a big SUV for trips like that. The same was true when my family owned a vehicle.

So, I'm not sure what this has to do with LCF or the stated subforum topic. Arguably road trips are neither everyday activities nor are possible without a vehicle.
Old 07-23-18, 12:16 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Correct. But there is a segment of the population that thinks you they should be able to do everything and go everywhere car free and don't see things from any other perspective.
fify

I don't know of anyone who's car free that thinks that everyone else should also go car free. It's a personal choice they make for themselves. We get it, you chose differently. Good for you.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Last edited by Doohickie; 07-23-18 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-23-18, 12:18 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by wipekitty
Hmmm...too bad about the lack of car rental agencies.

I've always rented a big SUV for trips like that. The same was true when my family owned a vehicle.

So, I'm not sure what this has to do with LCF or the stated subforum topic. Arguably road trips are neither everyday activities nor are possible without a vehicle.
I have 4 car rental agencies nearby. For this trip I leave at 5am on Saturday and return home sometime late afternoon the following Sunday. That is outside of their normal business hours of operation.
Old 07-23-18, 12:22 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
But there is a segment of the population that thinks you should be able to do everything and go everywhere car free and don't see things from any other perspective.
I have never encountered that segment. Instead, I have encountered people who have sacrificed being able to do certain things and/or do certain things in certain ways in return for a car-free existence.

I have taken numerous cycling trips out west where the only car usage was for grand transportation (taxis and shuttles) to and from airports. (One time I actually walked 3+ miles with all my gear to the airport when I couldn't get a cab early a.m.) My longest vacation was nearly 4 months. It started with a car ride of a few miles to a train station (toting lots of baggage) and ended when I pushed my bike up my mom's front lawn after having bicycled across the country and then some.
Old 07-23-18, 12:44 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No need to antagonize the LCF though some of them can be a little preachy though not as bad as the A&S crowd imo. If you wanted to LCF you would certainly need to make some adjustments I hesitate to say sacrifices. You could take a very fine fishing trip car free on a bicycle. Follow some river or canal and fish daily. Rivers tend to be flat along river valleys which is nice. You'd not only be car free you'd be living off the land which would be kinda cool and something some aspire to. You could otherwise get a folding bike and train or fly to your destination and make do with less stuff which is honorable. Nitpicking about the hours of rental places is very low honor and the hardcore lcf dont rent cars anyway, it negates the whole thing. Otherwise for back country stuff you'd need a mtn bike. No need to be angry about other peoples choices or take too seriously the few who criticize you for driving a gas guzzling truck and needing 2 tons of gear for a couple of days in the woods.
Old 07-23-18, 12:45 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have taken numerous cycling trips out west where the only car usage was for grand transportation (taxis and shuttles) to and from airports. (One time I actually walked 3+ miles with all my gear to the airport when I couldn't get a cab early a.m.) My longest vacation was nearly 4 months. It started with a car ride of a few miles to a train station (toting lots of baggage) and ended when I pushed my bike up my mom's front lawn after having bicycled across the country and then some.
I suspect that there millions of business and vacation trips monthly, in the U.S. that do not utilize a privately owned motor vehicle except perhaps for a cab, bus, car or shuttle ride to/from an airport or train station at the home and vacation destination. Probably most, if not all overseas trips too. Predilection for "living car free" or being a bicycle/walking enthusiast probably does not factor much in setting out most of such itineraries.
Old 07-23-18, 01:03 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by TheLibrarian
. You could take a very fine fishing trip car free on a bicycle.
Sure. Maybe from my house to a local stream within 30 miles for a day trip only. I'm talking about a 3000+ mile round trip.

Follow some river or canal and fish daily. Rivers tend to be flat along river valleys which is nice.
Not always the case. This spot here that I fished last year has zero roads along the river valley. It has one public access point that dead ends at the river.
Old 07-23-18, 04:38 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
I have 4 car rental agencies nearby. For this trip I leave at 5am on Saturday and return home sometime late afternoon the following Sunday. That is outside of their normal business hours of operation.
Start the rental on Friday, return it Monday. It will cost you an extra 2 days rental fee. Rental agencies near me have after hours drop off, you may still be able to return the call on Sunday using something like that. I'm willing to bet the car rental agency will even work with you for both the pickup and drop off for very little extra.

I am by no means car free, but this seemed like the simplest idea.
Old 07-23-18, 08:21 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
Start the rental on Friday, return it Monday. It will cost you an extra 2 days rental fee. Rental agencies near me have after hours drop off, you may still be able to return the call on Sunday using something like that. I'm willing to bet the car rental agency will even work with you for both the pickup and drop off for very little extra.

I am by no means car free, but this seemed like the simplest idea.
Yes - this is what we do when we rent vehicles for work trips (company policy is to rent from our contracted vendor - they will no longer reimburse mileage for personal vehicles.) For Saturday returns (they are closed on Sunday), they will accommodate vehicles that are returned for a $10 fee rather than charging the whole rental fee for Sunday. This is obviously a possibility for those who do not own cars...as well as the majority of my company's employees who do.

To each their own, but I'm beginning to think that this thread is really a topic for Foo, rather than LCF?
Old 07-25-18, 06:41 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
Correct. But there is a segment of the population that thinks you should be able to do everything and go everywhere car free and don't see things from any other perspective.
There is no such segment, and certainly not in this forum.

If you are insecure about your lifestyle and are seeking validation, I am sure you can find plenty of support here: https://www.google.ca/search?q=automotive+forums&oq=automotive+forums&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l3j0l2.9971j1j7&client=ms-android-motorola&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
Old 07-25-18, 07:08 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Sure. Maybe from my house to a local stream within 30 miles for a day trip only. I'm talking about a 3000+ mile round trip.

Not always the case. This spot here that I fished last year has zero roads along the river valley. It has one public access point that dead ends at the river.
You could fly in to SeaTac with your MTBs or touring bikes and your fly gear boxed up, bus to King Station, bus to Issaquah, grab a hotel room there, build your bikes, then hit the trails the next day. Issaquah-Preston Trail, Snoqualmie Valley Trail, Palouse to Cascades trail. The route will take you to lots of great spots on the Middle and South Fork Snoqualmie, the Yakima River and several smaller streams; several of these spots aren't even easily accessible by AWD. Then fly out of Ellensburg on a puddle jumper for connections via Spokane or SeaTac.

Just an option if one was really dedicated to car free fishing trips.
Old 07-26-18, 03:49 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty

To each their own, but I'm beginning to think that this thread is really a topic for Foo, rather than LCF?
Yes ... very much so.
Old 07-27-18, 09:00 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Oh please... Rent the truck a day earlier, as others have suggested... How hard is that.?
Old 08-05-18, 05:35 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
You could move to Colorado.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.