Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your First Wheel Build...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your First Wheel Build...

Old 07-25-19, 08:59 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagerando
I have a Park truing stand, spokes, nipples, polished vintage Mavic rim and a polished high flange campy hub......all sitting in the garage. I have no idea where to begin
It was a dark and stormy night.
I woke from fitful slumber to a vision of building wheels.
I laughed and went right back to sleep.
Old 07-26-19, 12:56 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
My first set would have been in the early 80s and i would have used, used everything. Spokes, nipples, hubs and rims. It probably was an old sturmy archer hub. The book was a general maintenance and advice book by a husband and wife. There was one chapter with a tutorial for a 36 spoke 4 cross wheel build. Been building them that way ever since. I'm sure I'm not the best at it but mine always get me home.
Old 07-26-19, 01:33 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Built my first set this year using TB14 rims. Built another wheel in the mean time and was about to start on my 4th until the shop cancelled my rim order and the bike I was planning to build it for turned out to be broken beyond repair.

Old 07-26-19, 03:03 AM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Hey, cool thread.

While it was a great learning experience, and I've done a few more since then, I still don't really enjoy building wheels.

Agreed. Building a set makes retrueing a much easier proposition. I built my first set on my shoestring racing budget. I could afford the mavic hoops and spokes but cut my cheap Shimano hubs off a entery level Japanese bike. Using the frame as my truing stand and a pencil held in place with a rubber band I slowly made the rim round and then straight. It came together very quickly and each spoke soon had a satisfying "twing" when plucked. They all sounded very close in pitch. Those wheels lasted about three years of racing and another six of commuting without much or any readjustment. It was fun and very informative. Near poverty can be a great teacher.
Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 07-26-19, 04:33 AM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,704 Times in 1,392 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagerando
I have a Park truing stand, spokes, nipples, polished vintage Mavic rim and a polished high flange campy hub......all sitting in the garage. I have no idea where to begin
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

From that, I made my first set of wheels, probably a decade ago. Campagnolo high-flange Gran Sport hubs on Fiamme red labels. Sold them. Gonna see them again this fall.

btb 023 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Old 07-26-19, 05:48 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Built my first set this year using TB14 rims. Built another wheel in the mean time and was about to start on my 4th until the shop cancelled my rim order and the bike I was planning to build it for turned out to be broken beyond repair.
TB14 rims are well made and build easily. Box section rims are a good choice for classic wheels. The machined brake track gives good braking performance. They are a little on the heavy side but their other features more than make up for that, to my way of thinking anyway. A good choice.
Old 07-26-19, 05:59 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
@vintagerando,

Follow iab's advice and utilize Sheldon's instructions. They are very easy to follow.

If you take your time and stick to them, you'll have yourself a sweet new wheel.
Old 07-26-19, 06:44 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Originally Posted by speedevil
TB14 rims are well made and build easily. Box section rims are a good choice for classic wheels. The machined brake track gives good braking performance. They are a little on the heavy side but their other features more than make up for that, to my way of thinking anyway. A good choice.
Agreed, not sure about the weight though but I wasn't looking for the very lightest bike. They're 490 grams (17.28 oz) and for a rando/touring build. They were a fairly decent weight improvement over the Weinmann concave rims the bike used before though.

More info about the build in this post.
Old 07-26-19, 04:37 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Mine was about ten years ago. A Sante hub I bought off Ebay and a rim off my hybrid Giant. Still going strong, though that wheel has become my spare front. I used Roger Musson's ebook, which I later had printed. I've done a few since, and am in the procrastination stage for the next few. I have hubs, rims, and a box of leftover spokes, some of which will hopefully be the length that I need. I am very good at truing wheels, and enjoy building them.
I just realized that I built a rear at the same time. That one must still be in regular service. Shimano 600 on Araya CTL370. I have a number of those, so who is to say which it is. Though I built all of them.
Old 07-29-19, 04:16 PM
jrozzelle

Bikes: 1981 Team Miyata, 1987 Fuso "25th Anniversary", 1986 Liberati Professional, 1983 Trek 720, Giant TCR Comp1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Read the entire Sheldon Brown guide then print out the color coded lacing instructions. Go slow. Try to pay attention to roundness and lateral true at the same time. And dish if it's the rear. Start with a front

Last edited by jrozzelle; 07-29-19 at 04:18 PM. Reason: edit
Old 07-29-19, 05:20 PM
movelo

Bikes: Mondia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
.... limped home gingerly the last 10 miles.
Awww, c'mon, you can get a few more miles out of that wheel !

Originally Posted by gaucho777
.... another crack starting to form at the brake surface.
Well, OK, maybe not.

My first wheelbuild was a pair of tubulars for time-trialing back in 1976. Maillard M. M. Atom high flange hubs, Araya rims. Truing stand was the Gitane frame (my first 10-speed) and Mafac Racer brake pads. Did not even know there was such a thing as a dishing tool. Jobst's book was not out yet, that would've helped. The wheels stayed true (they almost had no choice, I wire-tied and soldered the spokes (which was all the rage back then for a "stiffer wheel"). Later I learned that Jobst would not agree. My wheels are still gathering dust in the garage after I stopped racing. Clincher tires were a lot cheaper than tubulars by the time I resumed cycling later in life, there was no going back. I'll never forget the sound and feel of 110 psi tubulars the first time out, though.

Great picture, goucho777.
Old 07-29-19, 06:11 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
I’m about to begin this journey. VO Diagonale 650b rims, DT Swiss Comp spokes & brass nipples, Phil freewheel rear and SON 28 front.
Old 07-29-19, 08:12 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Agreed, not sure about the weight though but I wasn't looking for the very lightest bike. They're 490 grams (17.28 oz) and for a rando/touring build. They were a fairly decent weight improvement over the Weinmann concave rims the bike used before though.

More info about the build in this post.
That's a beautiful build, by the way.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 07-29-19, 08:21 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by speedevil
The maiden voyage on a bike that you built, including wheels that you built, is a pretty special moment. I think that building your own wheels is sort-of like a masters thesis for bike mechanics. It's not really too hard to do, but it does take some practice and care to do it right.

Congratulations.
I'll agree fully, but add that a lot of patience and persistence is needed to tension it properly. Then again, if you have the short-term memory loss that I have, then everything gets checked several times over.
Old 07-29-19, 08:23 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I have 11,463 miles and counting on my first wheel. Origin-8 branded flip-flop rear hub, 36 2.0-1.8-2.0 spokes laced 3x, on an old 26" Weinmann concave rim. Being my first wheel, I've gone back and evened out the tensions and had to true it once or twice along the way, but it's been nothing less than reliable.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-29-19, 09:12 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Motobecane(2), Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 308 Posts
First wheels around 1972, sitting in my 8 x 40 trailer in Valley Trailer Park in Columbia, The Who blasting on the stereo. Used Sloane's book to build them. No concern for even tension, just so they were true. Tore them down last year to use the Super Champion rims with some Pelissier 2000 hubs. Amazingly straight and true after 46 years. Only reason I tore them down was the Atom hubs I had built them with so long ago.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 08-19-19, 12:56 PM
TheChief

Bikes: 1982 Florida Trek 710 Campy SR, 2016 Veendam Trek Ibiza, 1983 Zullo frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just read your post today. Rather interesting that this afternoon while working in the garage what sounded like a bomb went off right behind me as a tire I mounted yesterday decided to blow itself off the rim today! I built the wheel set in 1986 while stationed at Fort Riley, Kansas. The hubs were Campy NR large-flange that I picked up in 1975 - these are from the time before that CPSC regulation crap came out and have straight levers - and the rims were Bike Nashbar house branded rims UT17 700x28 that I had ordered in 1986. The bead on the rear rim just gave out and the tire then blew off the rim. These rims lasted 33 years and I never had to adjust anything. I ordered new rims and will start the rebuild when they arrive and after I have cleaned and polished the hubs.

Last edited by TheChief; 08-19-19 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-20-19, 10:01 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 355 Posts
My first pair of wheels I built (this spring) was from a pair of mid-70's Schwinn LeTour high flange I polished up pretty nice, new spokes from DansComp and a set of VO PBP rims I got cheap from @speedevil. They are nice and true and currently have pride of place on my flagship - my 1971 Grandis.

My first single wheel build, a couple years ago, was Weinmann RM 19 that I rebuilt from the original parts. The only interesting part of that story is how I came to need to rebuild a wheel less than 3 years old and with only a couple thousand miles on it: One very busy summer night at the hotel I run, I was sleeping in the storeroom as is my custom when I'm on duty all night and all the hotel rooms are booked. Comfy cot, total darkness, not bad for sleeping. It's the same room I keep most of my bikes in. My Trek600 was the one I had ridden to work that morning and it was leaning up against the table near the door into the lobby. A couple hours after bedding down, I get up, BADLY needing a restroom (from the three beers or so I had before bedtime) and a bit groggy and wobbly (from same). I don't remember what I tripped on in the pitch darkness, but fell in a way that tacoed the nearly new front wheel on the Trek. Much late night cursing.

After viewing a YouTube that showed how to straighten a tacoed rim, I thought "I can do that" and I did, removing the rim from the spokes, straightening it out more or less and rebuilding it with the original parts. I just looked at a different front wheel as a guide on how to lace it. Results? Not quite perfect, but nearly so and still usable.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 08-21-19 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-21-19, 10:26 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I built my first set of wheels when I was 14, following the instructions in Eugene Sloane's The Complete Book of Bicycling. It was the porcupine method. They end up with asymmetrical pulling spokes. Not that it mattered, but that was something people used to discuss on rides. First and last time I ever built that way. They had Rigida rims and Avocet hubs, because that's what my budget allowed. They turned out OK, though a few months later I decided I hated clinchers and relaced them as sew ups.
Old 08-21-19, 11:36 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,739 Times in 1,498 Posts
i have had a very mixed result love/hate with wheelbuilding

I use the sheldon instructions

the first wheel I built maybe 8 years ago (deore hub, cr18 rim, db spokes) DB spokes is still going strong win +1

the second wheelset I built was a long story.... used velocity rims and didn't realize the subtle angles on the hole in the rim for right flange/left flange and laced them backward....didn't realize this until I finally got by go to guy at the LBS to get them true...... and I started seeing cracks in the rim a few years later overalll neutral to lose +1

my last build went great....until the spokes were uniformly too long.... not sure is it was a mis calculation or some how I messed up the laceing........ ended up moving the wheel on to someone else to deal with lose +1

I have come to the conclusion that I have done this enough to sorta check the box off, but am not supper on it so will leave building to others who have perfected the art.....until I try again