Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

training early in the AM?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-07, 07:00 PM
jdgreen

Bikes: serrotta CDA, litespeed tuscany, Seven ti axiom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How many of you train consistently early in the AM before work, like between 5 and 7 AM. Were you a morning person already. If not, how long did it take to make the adjustment to the schedule and not seem like such a chore?
Old 11-13-07, 07:19 PM
bvfrompc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do.

No.

I'll let you know when it happens, I just started five years ago.

Hey, my oldest kid is five years old

Coincidence?

I think not.

My wife and I always have to remind each other, 5 miutes into the workout you'll forget you were asleep 15 minutes ago. Its that first 15 minutes that suck.
Old 11-13-07, 07:20 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jdgreen
How many of you train consistently early in the AM before work, like between 5 and 7 AM. Were you a morning person already. If not, how long did it take to make the adjustment to the schedule and not seem like such a chore?
I ride in the morning 95% of the time. I am a morning person. Once the sun is up, I'm up.
Old 11-13-07, 07:22 PM
kudude
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's a bit early for me, but now that it gets dark around here by 5, it's the only time to ride. find your warm clothes, though
Old 11-13-07, 07:23 PM
elgalad
Carbon Fiber Bones

Bikes: '07 Scott Speedster S30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Given I work full-time, there's only one way to get in 20+ hours of training per week.

I don't find it a chore. In fact, I find it easier to get out of bed at 5 to go cycling than I do to get up at 7 to get ready for work.
Old 11-13-07, 07:28 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in the pool at 5:30 AM most weekdays, the time when my local YMCA opens. I have always gotten up promptly in the morning because sleeping after the sun comes up is a total waste of good time.
Old 11-13-07, 07:28 PM
Miguelangel

Bikes: Lemond Tourmalet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was trainning early in the morning 5- 7, im not a morning person but its very nice to have trained in the morning and I dont have to think about trainning at nites... but.... I found out that due to the rush hour the car pollution was very high so I have changed to nite trainning... I miss the morning rides...
Old 11-13-07, 07:36 PM
LIUser22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i do, i wasn't a morning person (im in college!!!) but i have become one and it's great. I force myself to get up between 5 and 5:30 to workout for either 1-1.5 hours. One of the tricks is when your body tells you to go to bed, go to bed, even if it is 8 o'clock. I used an alarm clock for a week and now i wake up on my own and eat a cliff bar and start on the trianer/rollers/gym on campus before everyone else gets there.
Old 11-13-07, 07:36 PM
ovrrdrive

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm out at about 4:45 and it isn't too bad once you get used to it. I never used to be a morning person but in the last 10 years or so I have changed in to one. Believe it or not, I'm usually dreaming about riding right before I wake up anyway, so it's just a matter of making a quick cup of coffee to wake up a little then getting dressed and running out the door to finish my ride.

Go overboard with lighting and the dark isn't bad at all.
Old 11-13-07, 07:40 PM
huerro
Villainous

Bikes: Trek 420, Cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rnhood
I am in the pool at 5:30 AM most weekdays, the time when my local YMCA opens. I have always gotten up promptly in the morning because sleeping after the sun comes up is a total waste of good time.
It's funny you should mention that....for a long time I thought going to bed before the sun came up was a total waste of good time.
Old 11-13-07, 07:42 PM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I work a 24 hour on/48 off shift and have a 14 month old. Right now I am training between 13-22 hours a week. This definitely entails getting up at 0430 every work day. It sucks royaly, and after 2 months, I'm still not used to it fully. But I just remind myself of my goals, and it helps get me out of bed.
Old 11-13-07, 07:42 PM
dcvelo
Pretend Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd always been a night person (lots of years in Manhattan saw to that) but since marriage have learned to embrace the morning thing. I'd still prefer to ride after work, but riding in the morning just works better for all involved and hey, it's riding!

One benefit of early morning rides is I don't need to bother with the usual pot of coffee....I'm wide awake by the time I get back.
Old 11-13-07, 07:50 PM
roy5000x2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to start to do the AM thing. I got home from school, had a quick snack, made a cue sheet, then realized that I only had about 90 minutes of daylight left. I had to abandon the cue sheet for something much shorter. Sad really.
Old 11-13-07, 08:08 PM
DanielS

Bikes: Surly Pacer, Hillbrick Pista, Avanti Sprint, Commencal Combi Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride one or two mornings a week generally. Get up around 515. Like others have said - its the first 15 mins after waking up that hurt. Once you're on the bike its all good

I find it best to have all my stuff ready to go before I go to bed helps. My sleep-addled brain sometimes finds it difficult with things like 'where are my shoes?' and remembering to put my HR strap on...
Old 11-13-07, 08:23 PM
Stallionforce

Bikes: 05 Norco CRR Team Carbon Dura Ace, 06 Cervelo P2C TT Dura Ace, 88 Olmo Steelie w. Campy Mirage, Cypress CX w. 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a morning person at all.

But this year I've taken on too much: 25 or so hours of work per week, two graduate courses, and my training. There's been no other solution than to get up at 5:30 every day to train.

I've found by waking much earlier than I used to, I've grown accustomed to it, and now enjoy the feeling of solitude when I'm out running or on my bike. I wouldn't say I'm a morning person yet, but I'm bouncing out of bed most mornings, which I never used to do.

So I guess I'd say stick with it for at least two or three months, and see if you adapt: I think you will.
Old 11-13-07, 08:58 PM
scotch
purity of essence

Bikes: 2018 Giant Trance 2, 2019 Trek Farley 7, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
i really wish i could get up at 5 or 5:30 and do something other than take a leak with my head against the wall then schlep back to bed. do you early risers hit the sack between 9 or 10pm?
Old 11-13-07, 09:07 PM
RHOsbrink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah... bedtime's around 10. Get up at 5a- don't always make it though.
Old 11-13-07, 09:11 PM
Frunkin
nom nom nom

Bikes: Lemond Tete de Course, Slingshot DDX, Fuji Track Pro, Surly Steamroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It gets light at 6:45 and gets dark at 4:30, so I have no time to ride outside. I should really buy some lights.
Old 11-13-07, 09:29 PM
kudude
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bed by 10, up at 6:30. you need to sleep if you want to do any real training. your body just falls apart after awhile if you don't.
Old 11-13-07, 09:38 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by kudude
that's a bit early for me, but now that it gets dark around here by 5, it's the only time to ride. find your warm clothes, though
Not just warm clothes, but get a good front light! on a recent road ride Mrs. Road Fan and I encountered a rail crossing and didn't have time to get in the proper angled position. The ties surrounding the rails were frosted, and down we both went! scrapes, bruises, torn jackets/gloves, sore shoulders, and considerable time lost!

Road Fan
Old 11-13-07, 10:14 PM
stidle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
God, I wish I could get up that early. By the time I get out of work now, it's only light for about 15 more minutes...As it is, I literally take a shower before I go to sleep, wake up 15 minutes before work, throw my clothes on in a frenzy, kiss my girlfriend, and hop on my bike -- thankfully work is only 2.5 miles away and completely downhill, so I can get there in about 6-8 minutes.

Question for those of you who go to sleep around 10 on weekdays: Do you find that you are still able to stay up until 1-2AM on weekends if necessary?

I'm so conflicted...On one hand I feel like I would absolutely love to go on regular long rides before work; on the other hand, I really value late weekend nights with friends. Can I have it both ways?
Old 11-13-07, 10:14 PM
Tequila Joe
Living the n+1

Bikes: 2019 RM Blizzard, 2013 SuperX, 2007 Litespeed Vortex, 1970 Falcon Olympic, 2008 RM Metropolis IGH, 2004 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Langster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Usually 1 hour in the morning before work and one hour after work... hey, wait a minute, thats called commuting.

Last edited by Tequila Joe; 11-14-07 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-13-07, 10:41 PM
elgalad
Carbon Fiber Bones

Bikes: '07 Scott Speedster S30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My training load varies depending on time of year, but at the moment doing base training, I try to get in 2 hours each morning, and 1 hour in the evening, all outside since it's summer here atm.

I am lucky in that I have few commitments outside of my doctoral studies and cycling.
Old 11-14-07, 03:31 AM
ovrrdrive

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate to play devil's advocate here, but all of you guys saying you wish you could get up that early and train need to be honest with yourselves. You can. It's all in where your priorities lie.

Even a 30 minute ride is better than no ride at all...
Old 11-14-07, 09:23 AM
RichmondRider
Just havin' fun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best part about the morning ride: I feel good all day, and am happy that I rode.
The downside is that on those days where I go back to bed (usually with an excuse like "the bed is a lot warmer than it is outside) I spend the whole day kicking myself for not dragging my butt out of bed earlier.
Getting up at 5 is a good habit, and I didn't do much after 10 at night anyway...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.