Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

STROMER ST1 - Hot or not? how do they hold up?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18, 06:14 PM
Zajebisty

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like the look and feel.. but... how long do the batteries typically last? I am seeing $1200 replacement costs ! what about the motor? any thing to look for on used examples?
Old 07-12-18, 10:05 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
I had a chance to ride the ST1X ($5,000 one AIR) and whatever the designation of the $10,000 one is fairly extensively. Both were easily capable of 30 mph, and I think the more expensive one is overpriced, but the $5,000 model is worth it since the motor is assembled in Germany (AIR), the bike is manufactured in Sweden and they have many features. I would expect the batteries to last 400-1000 cycles (as a WAG) or 3-4 years which is expected of a premium manufacturer. Anything used is a crap shoot which I avoid, especially batteries.
Old 12-10-18, 11:12 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Stromer has prolly staked out the high ground for quality builds. They are very nice e-Bikes indeed. But you are playing with sort of Porsche/Bently level stuff and they do not share mechanical info. So if it goes wrong, you'll have to have it serviced at a Stromer shop ...
Old 12-12-18, 11:41 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Not, for sure. Stromer makes overpriced e-bikes using older school technology. All the big players have moved to mid drives and they are stuck in the heavy clunky world of hub drives which build heavy weak wheels just waiting to fail. Yes they may use the best hub drive motor and for a while they were actually some of the tops in e-bikes but that time has passed. Bosch, Brose, Shimano, Yamaha are all using mid drives for many good reasons.
Old 12-12-18, 02:11 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lithium-ion batteries all last about 400-500 cycles if you charge them to 100% before they lose a significant amount of their capacity. I don’t think the ST1 battery is $1200. It’s a nice bike but the stock ~500Wh battery will not provide much range if you like to cruise at high speed.
Old 12-12-18, 02:46 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
FWIW, I've ridden many (probably 50) different ebikes, both hub and mid-drive, OEM and DIY for short periods to as long as a month test; also, own a bunch. FME, hub motors are superior for commuting unless there are substantial, long hills on the route. They have several advantages over mid-drives in maintenance and if there is a chain or other drivetrain failure, the hub motor may still get you home. My oldest Luna battery is still going strong after three years and hundreds of charges powering both a 1500w commuter and BBS02 off road. There's no reason why the Stromer battery won't be as durable; of course, it will last even longer if you maintain it between 20% and 80% of full charge.

Last edited by 2old; 12-12-18 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-12-18, 07:26 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, hub motors are perfectly adequate for many scenarios. I think that the mid-drives are getting all the love for two reasons:
1. Marketing budgets
2. 250w limitation in Europe
Old 12-13-18, 11:57 AM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Agreed. Putting smaller wattage motors through existing drive trains is not that big a leap. So they work w/o breaking things, and they offer gearing for that small motor.

Putting a 1Kw motor through a bicycle drive train on top of pedal input, not such a good idea fro longevity ...

I think there is a place and scenario for every kind of drive. Gazelle (Holland) sells a lot of commuter bikes with front hub drives (small) because they want to keep the power separate and it makes the bike 2-wheel drive in winter. PAS1 and rider input means they get traction and pull at both ends
Old 12-15-18, 09:31 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Zajebisty
I like the look and feel.. but... how long do the batteries typically last? I am seeing $1200 replacement costs ! what about the motor? any thing to look for on used examples?
If you will be using this to climb significant hills and/or haul loads you should consider a mid-drive - higher torque. This is why many/most cargo bikes and MTBs are now using mid-drives. Bosch, Brose, Yamaha make good stuff and should back it up during the warranty period.

On the other hand, you might get longer motor life out of a hub motor - especially if it is a quality direct-drive (no plastic gears) - many fewer moving parts as compared to a mid-drive.

If you are considering buying a used ebike it will be helpful if you are mechanical/electrical capable and there is a shop nearby trained to repair/diagnose the motor/battery on the bike you are buying. Personally, I would not buy a used ebike - it might ride fine on your 10 minute test drive, but who knows after that. You're not going to see possible problems inside the motor/battery.

The batteries on an ebike are just bigger versions of the rechargeable batteries on power tools. If I get 7+ years out of a new power tool battery before it dies I am satisfied - but I am only re-charging 1X per week, if that. If you are re-charging your ebike battery every day or so, then you may need to replace the battery every 3 to 5 years, maybe sooner ?. $1200 for a new battery seems high to me - I've seen $800 to $1000 for quality replacement batteries - and hopefully the price of that technology will be lower in a few years.

The best way to know is to test-drive new bikes and compare. You can also browse the brand-specific forums at https://electricbikereview.com/forum/
Old 12-16-18, 12:49 PM
BrocLuno

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for that link